BC Boards

Digestive system issues?

I am new to BC as well and have taken a lot of information from other dog owners locally who do a lot of whole food meals. My puppy eats Royal Canin dog food but I also feed him frozen mashed sweet potato frozen in an ice cube tray or frozen in his baby sized Kong as well as banana and any berries we have on hand. He loves fruit. I also give him raw knee caps or knuckle bones to chew on and I just asked in a new thread about chicken necks as I have read that they are good as well.

The variety has kept our puppy busy and entertained he is almost the exact age as yours and a handful at times. We are doing better every day though.

I don't give him meals at certain times he has food in his bowl all the time and never gorges himself. At times he is curious about what we are eating but I give him his Long when we eat dinner to play with and that entertains him so we can eat (for the most part)

I am new to BC as well and have taken a lot of information from other dog owners locally who do a lot of whole food meals. My puppy eats Royal Canin dog food but I also feed him frozen mashed sweet potato frozen in an ice cube tray or frozen in his baby sized Kong as well as banana and any berries we have on hand. He loves fruit. I also give him raw knee caps or knuckle bones to chew on and I just asked in a new thread about chicken necks as I have read that they are good as well.

The variety has kept our puppy busy and entertained he is almost the exact age as yours and a handful at times. We are doing better every day though.

I don't give him meals at certain times he has food in his bowl all the time and never gorges himself. At times he is curious about what we are eating but I give him his Long when we eat dinner to play with and that entertains him so we can eat (for the most part)

Rush Fan asked how much I spend on raw diet.

Frankly, I've never calculated it, and I really don't want to know!! It's not cheap.

But as others have said, you have to do the best you can (best food that suits the dog, best prices you can afford, etc.).

Because my boy (now 11 yr old) has early kidney issues, he's on a rather "special" diet - which actually has more carbs than I would feed a healthy/younger dog. My vet-devised recipes use beef and rice, turkey and sweet potato, and canned skinless/boneless salmon and pasta. The latter is rather expensive (can be bought online), and I would never have thought that feeding pasta (I use basic macaroni) would be a good idea. But he does seem to do best on this recipe!

I also use Balance IT as a vitamin/mineral supplement. Check out their website - you can devise your own recipe for a healthy dog using it. If the dog has particular medical issues, you must get your vet to "ask" a vet nutritionist (since that vet wouldn't have seen your dog and is technically - I guess - "prescribing" something for your dog).