BC Boards

Sticktights

Dear Doggers,

When I pack the station wagon for a dog trial/clinic/training as soon as my suitcase comes out my trial dogs glue themselves to my knees until I load them up. They stay so close if I'm going somewhere sans dogs (rare but it happens) I have to crate them to get out of the house.

What are they thinking?

If we stick tight and Donald isn't taking us, he'll change his mind?

I'd guess is that they see me as fundamentally OOT (out of touch) and needing their help. They fear I might go to the car, get in, fire up and drive away and IF THEY' AREN'T UNDERFOOT, I'd just drive off without them. Dopey Donald.

Donald McCaig

I'm not surprised. Mine know the day of the week. Monday, I go to my mom's first thing after chores, so the dogs just automatically crate themselves. Friday, we do agility with both dogs, so they are constantly walking back and forth between me and their leashes and the door we leave from. Saturday is stock lessons, so Micah lies down across the back door and waits. Sunday, we go to church, but later than we leave Monday morning, so they lie around the house for an hour before kenneling themselves. All of this is with no break or change in the normal morning routine. The JRT has no clue.

If my ex and I were talking about somewhere we were going to go, usually a sheepdog trial, Mirk would go to the door to wait. Since we were usually discussing plans several days in advance, we'd have to tell him, no, we're not going till Friday. So he'd heave a big sigh and go off to do something else.

But on Friday morning, even if we hadn't said another word about it during the week, we'd find Mirk plastered to the front door when we woke up, at which point we'd remind him we had to go to work first and that we'd be leaving after we got home. Once we got home that afternoon or night, there was nothing on earth that would make him move from the door of the car as he waited for us to finish packing. B)

Kolt has started crating himself when I get ready for work. If I don't close the door right away he runs back and forth between me and the crate with a "isn't that where I'm supposed to be?" look on his face. He doesn't seem to be as concerned about being with me as much as he is knowing what comes next.

My daughter and I needed to leave the house early one morning to run errands. My son was still asleep in bed. Somehow the collies knew that we were not taking them and they both decided that to avoid being crated their best bet was to snuggle up to my son.

When I went to leave there they were, two little girls that somehow knew they were being left at home. My son mumbled something about being fine with the two dogs on his bed so I put up a baby gate to keep them contained.

My son reported to me later that day that my girls slept happily on the bed with him until he decided to get up.

We have the opposite problem, suitcases/bags mean people are leaving, if we start packing in advance we had the luggage in another room otherwise he walks around, huffs and puffs and looks miserable. on the other hand if I pull on my trail running shoes it means walks/agility and I have a border collie under foot all the way to the gate.

Texi and Faith are like this. Every morning they do all they can to get to go to work with me. Following me around the house, standing in front of the door I'm trying to open. I have no idea why Faith wants to go...she's not exactly a social butterfly.