BC Boards

How are you handling the 4th?

I just hate the 4th. The explosions started in our neighborhood last weekend. My poor dogs just are awful. And so am I after a few hours of this.

The fireworks usually start about 10 in the morning and go on steady until about 2 in the morning. So just trying to get the dogs out long enough to pee is a huge problem.

One year I put the dogs in the car and just drove around all over trying to find someplace quiet. There was no place to go. In town the noise is everywhere. And it was just as bad out in the county.

I got the Xanax. It really helped last year. But I am already getting anxious.

Well, our old girl is gone. She had to be premedicated. The other two of her generation were fine. The present two youngsters don't seem to much mind fireworks (yet).

Now, when I lived in a big city I had to seek refuge in the stairwell from stray bullets - but that's another story. :unsure:

Benedryl/diphenhydramine. My vet says 1 mg/lb of dog. Fireworks in my neighborhood aren't quite as bad as yours, Tommy. Later in the day and after dark there are a lot.

Last year Gibbs was alert, but not panicking. Will see what this year brings. If necessary, the diphenhydramine will let him rest and not leave him groggy in the morning.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

I use melatonin, both for thunderstorms (though I don't need to use it any more for Bodhi) and fireworks. 3 mg. is the usual dose, but you can also use 6 mg. It's not effective for all dogs, so you may want to try it ahead of time.

For my dogs, it takes the edge off rather than making them completely unaffected to the noise. But it's enough so that they're just nervous rather than panicked.

Too late now, but I start a background anxiety med well before the 4th (at least 2 months).

I use situational meds (clonidine and L-theanine) on nights with fireworks or storms.

I have special toys that my dogs love that they are only allowed to play with during storms and fireworks. I close the blinds, turn on a loud movie and we have a party.

Cal barks when she hears fireworks go off (they started a few weekends ago) but not repetitively. I'm hoping that she'll tire herself out quickly on the 4th and just resign herself to staring out the window for the noisy, invisible intruders and growling to herself.

With Fergie, we used Benedryl/diphenhydramine and let her hide under our bed.

Dixie loves fireworks. The first summer we had her, she actually dragged me down the road to watch what the kids were firing off. last year, she was disappointed because all they had were cherry bombs. She seems to like the light display and not be bothered by the noise. Well see what the neighbors d this year.

Maggie Da Cat never noticed noises or low pressure. Until Fergie died. Now Maggie is the one who lets us know if a storm is coming.

Current BC is unaffected (only 16 months though). Previous BC would lie in the tub and pant, drool and eventually fall asleep in there (storms also). Brother's BC LOVES fireworks and has to be reminded not to chase them!! He recently has started acting scared during thunderstorms so we'll see if that carries over to fireworks this year (he's about 8-ish).

I have no advice to give. Our old lab is the only one who gets bothered by loud noises-gunshots, fireworks, thunder etc. However, even she isn't very bad. Besides, we live is such a dry area no fireworks are allowed except down on the river and that is far enough away that she can't hear them.

Foxy is about 10 wks now and she has already shown some pretty bad anxiety when it comes to fireworks, even the faint booms and screeches from a few streets over. have really set her off. Our vet has suggested that I try some Benadryl and if it doesn't help then to give her some acepromazine, just under supervision. He wants me to try to see how "out" she'll be after the Benadryl. He especially agrees with the sedation because even when he met her she was incredibly reactive, and she's only a pup still.

Not to mention the fact that I won't be with her on the 4th, she'll be at the sitter's that week. So my absence might set her off even more so I'd rather her just sleep through it, not have to deal with the loud noises and me not being able to comfort her. I'm at least glad I'm leaving her with a sitter who has veterinary experience and knows Foxy from when she was 7 wks too.

Please read up on the use of acepromazine for anxiety. It's generally considered a bad idea as it incapacitated the dog without doing anything for the actual mental anxiety. So basically they're still scared but now their body doesn't work right. There are several threads here with good information if you do a search!

Yes, please, from everything I have heard, do not use Ace - the dog is mentally awake but his/her body is not responsive, and I'm sure the stress must be intense.

We really haven't had any issue with fireworks in our neighborhood for quite a few years now (thankfully). However, Dan is fearful of gunshots and thunder, but he is focused enough if he is working to not notice either. So Ed has begun playing with favorite toys when there is noise that worries him and he then seems to not notice the noise. It seems to have relaxed him a bit even when Ed isn't actively playing with him, as if playing ("throwing a party") has conditioned him somewhat to be less concerned about the gunshots or thunder.

I also have a Thundershirt for him, and it seems to help dull the anxiety for him somewhat significantly.

I haven't yet had to try any form of medication, thankfully.

Very best wishes!

My dogs get to visit my sisters house since i will be working. We are making room in her basement for them. And hopefully will have some type of med to help ease the booms

I hate to be a one upper, or downer in this case but... take a look at this fireworks schedule. Every summer there are at least 20 BIG fireworks shows....some not shown on the schedule... Our house is RIGHT there on the water. I have to take the dogs up to the hills out of town. Price of living in a resort town I guess.

http://www.city.ito.shizuoka.jp/kankou/html/event/hpg000001915.html

In many places in the US, the scheduled fireworks are only part of the problem. Where I live in upstate NY (and I'm sure in many other places) people will set off fireworks at their homes and private parties for several days around holidays that have nothing to with scheduled municipal events.

Actually, the dogs are used to those..., There's no regulations on fireworks and firecrackers. They are sold everywhere, even convenience stores all summer long and the most popular place to let them off is at the beach...the one right in front of our house. There are always lots of pops, bangs and whistles going on. I just don't take them out of the house after dark except before bed. It's just the big shows.

Please read up on the use of acepromazine for anxiety. It's generally considered a bad idea as it incapacitated the dog without doing anything for the actual mental anxiety. So basically they're still scared but now their body doesn't work right. There are several threads here with good information if you do a search!

I agree. Ace is a sedative but some research says it doesn't turn off the brain. The dog is stoned and can't move well, but he's still afraid.

Here's a couple articles:

http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2011/07/03/acepromazine-for-dogs-is-acepromazine-a-good-medication-for-anxiety/

http://fearfuldogs.com/acepromazine/

Note: I have no clue as to the veracity of these articles or their authors, so just food for thought. :)

~ Gloria

Dear Doggers,

Only a few fireworks near enough to bother but opening day of hunting season provides all the bangs any phobia could want. We just let the dogs worry about it. Both our big white guard dogs are phobic and feel safer in the house and preventing them from pushing through an open door is like battling with attack sofas.

Donald McCaig

Gentlelake: How long before the storms do you give them melatonin? We have storms coming tomorrow and I have 10mg melatonin at home that I can cut in half and just see if it helps.

So last night we were all sound asleep and then Kabloon. M80 practically knocked us out of bed.

I know this is probably terribly unpatriotic but I wish we would just do away with the 4th of July. I start worrying about it weeks ahead of time it is just so awful here. There is a small town about 5 miles down the road where they have firework tents that sell just about everything. The fireworks are illegal here in the city but everybody does them anyway,. The police don't come. I think they all go someplace and drink coffee for 24 hours.

My previous dog was easily startled and, although not in a very bad manner, scared of loud sudden noises, specially gunshots and fireworks. We used to play through it, the wilder the play the more distracted she got, and eventually she would stop being afraid of the noise. When she was uncomfortable but not very afraid, doing series of obedience exercises also helped her to think about something else. She was not a severe case though and never needed medication. She also tended to get better with age as we worked on her overall self confidence.

Tess can be startled by sudden noises but she isn't afraid - usually just wants to go right to the source to investigate what it was. The other day there was a demonstration about public health care passing on our street, and the local band was going along, with very loud drums. All in all it was a lot of noise but Tess went to the balcony to watch it all, very interested. I sure hope she stays like this for ever.

I live rurally and the neighbors decided years ago that they would put on their own show each year to rival the city's show, so they usually have around 100 mortar rounds, really big booms, like a cannon going off. In the past, the dogs have noticed the noise, but not been to bad with it. We eventually go in and play a loud movie though. This year Gideon has become more reactive to sudden noises. His typical reaction is to bark and growl, if he is in his crate, or run over and take potshots at Micah, if he is loose. So for peace's sake this year, I suspect we will end up with Micah crated and Gideon on leash, or Micah loose and Gideon on leash, depending on whether or not Micah will stay away from Gideon and how much Gideon tries to insist on jumping up and biting Micah. Depending on how this year goes, I'll have to decide if more has to be done in the future.

Thank doG, the two I have now aren't terribly bothered by fireworks. The older one seems to notice more, but isn't frantic or seemingly nervous. But having had two in the past who most definitely were, and nothing I tried seemed to help much (I never got to the prescription drug route) ....I'd load everybody up in my camper and we'd head to the forest where fireworks were prohibited. I was known to do the same on New Year's Eve - and it was dang cold up in that forest!

This year, with fire danger what it is, it is hard to believe that anyone with any sanity (well, that explains it...) will be shooting off anything. And because it falls on Saturday this year...ugh. Yep, hate that holiday. And in Utah, they get to use up any leftovers on July 24th - our "Pioneer" Day. More ugh.

All the best to those with phobic dogs. Keep 'em safe!

diane