BC Boards

Canine cognitive Science

Dear Doggers,

In another post I recommended The Genius of Dogs which presented some of the latest scientific studies of dog mental processes. The US work was inspired by Hungarian ethologists whose work is available

here: http://familydogproject.elte.hu/publications.html

Donald McCaig

Donald,

Thank you for the link. I foresee many hours of my future being spent on that website. Canine cognitive science is a great interest of mine. During my undergraduate career I was fortunate enough to spend a semester working in the canine cognition lab at my university. It was my favorite experience while in college. I'm considering a graduate program that focuses on cognitive science in the future.

• 6 months later...

I'm reviving this thread to mention that Dr. Brian Hare is running a free online course in conjunction with Coursera/Duke U. on Dog Emotion and Cognition. It looks to be pretty professional and interesting. Course is free, or the certificate is $49. I don't know why anyone needs the particular certificate; but that arrangement is like many professional Continuing Education courses that I see. He does plug his book and for-pay website; but I don't really see why not. I took courses in college and professional courses that used the textbook written by the lecturer. Nothing new there.

Link is here: Dog Emotion and Cognition course