BC Boards

Pete's leg

Joan

Only a few of you know Petie. He's a full sister to Robin's Belle. Colin and a few others remember him from my early, early days in herding. He hasn't been listed in my sig (until now) because he has been Jim's dog for a while. (Jim is my SO.) After Jim's dad died, Petie lived with Jim's mother. He loved it there and served a great purpose being Maggie's companion. Maggie died in December, so Petie is Jim's dog again. And because Jim spends so much time at my house, he is my dog again, too.

Saturday night, after running around the pasture that morning, Petie was limping on his right front leg. I gave him aspirin over the weekend and kept him quiet, and it seemed to be getting better. I was planning to take him to the vet today if he wasn't better.

Last night, Petie had a scuffle with Doc, and I was surprised and very worried to see that leg hanging as though it had no bone in it at all. I could also see that Petie was getting shocky, even though there was only a small amount of blood from the brief fight.

I got him into the van and took him to the emergency vet. He was still conscious when we got there. The vet stabilized him and talked to me about the leg, which as I feared, was broken. But she was very worried because it appeared that the break had not been caused by the fight, and she suspected cancer. Xrays did not support cancer, so Petie spent the night there with the plan to see the orthopedic vet (in the same offices) this morning.

The orthopedic vet is Dr. Betts, a man I've known and trusted for many years. He called this morning to let me know that it's cancer, after all. It's an atypical bone cancer, which he says could be a good thing.

Jim and I had to decide between amputation and putting Petie down. We couldn't know what type of cancer he has without the amputation, and we couldn't put him down without knowing more about the cancer. So Petie's right front leg will be amputated tomorrow.

This will be my second 3-legged dog. Jake, now 14, had his right front leg amputated at age 1.5 after escaping his fenced yard and getting hit by a car. At least I know a little about what to expect, but Jake was a lot younger than Pete (11), and we didn't have the cancer to deal with then.

Please think a few good thoughts for Petie!

Joan

Nancy said to tell you she was really sorry to hear about Petie. She could not beleive what she was reading.

I'm realy sorry also. Petie was your top dog when I met you. If there is anything we can do let us know.

Are you up to a call tomorrow evening?

Wish I could give you a big hug.

I will tell Mary to pray for Petie and you. Take my word she will remember you and Petie.

Joan,

I'm sorry to hear about Petie. I don't know him or you other than by name, but have had to deal with cancer. I'd really recommend Dr. Waddell at VSH in Cary (919-233-4911). He's a great oncologist...one of the best in the area. I live in Cary, if you need anything or if I can help in any way, just give me a call.

As far as vet recommendations, I'm searching for a new one myself in the area, so can't really help you there, sorry.

-Laura

Sue: Thanks very much. We'll be counting on those prayers tomorrow. I still owe you an e-mail about Rip.

Denise: I know I can always count on you. Even when we don't talk often, I know you're there!

Steve: Thanks for the kinds words from both you and Nancy. You were the judge for my first trial with Petie, pre-NN at Tammy C.'s trial! A total fiasco. Robin had some good runs with Petie, but the only really good run I had with him (NN this time) was at the trial you had in the field behind your house. It was on my birthday, and I was thrilled to finish the course with a decent run. Petie did some nice farm work, but he's too anxious to be a trial dog. I know Mary will remember because Mary remembers everything! She might remember Rip better, though. She always hated it when Rip kissed her.

Laura: Thanks for the oncologist recommendation. I hadn't even thought about needing one until I read your post. :rolleyes: Thanks for the phone number and the good wishes. I hope we both find a vet that we like!

Eileen: I appreciate the good thoughts and believe that they make a difference!

Terry: Just hearing from you gives me a boost! No, it isn't tangible, but you made me feel better for a bit, and that's worth a lot.

Thanks again to all of you. Support is priceless.

Joan,

From what you described, it sounds like you made a good decision to have Pete's leg amputated. I (and many anonymous others, I'm sure) will be sending good thoughts his way.

I had a dog with cancer in her hind leg. Amputation was not an option (because of the condition of the other hip), but if it had been I would have done it. I would guess that Pete's main need is to be free of the pain caused by the cancer, and if you manage to stop its spread, so much the better.

Hi! I can't sleep. I appreciate the message and the good thoughts. Petie wasn't showing any signs of pain before the bone broke, but BCs are so stoic, it's sometimes hard to tell. I guess we'll know soon if it has spread. We couldn't put Petie down without knowing the details of his condition. I'm confident that we made the right decision, and it helps to hear others say the same. Thanks for the support!

I'm sorry about your dog that had cancer. I think our pain never completely goes away.

Hi Joan,

I don't know Pete either, but I know how hard it must be on you to have to make life-and-death decisions always trying to keep Pete's best interests in mind. I will keep Pete and you and Jim in my prayers. I am nearby now, so if there's anything I can do personally to help, just let me know.

Julie

I totally missed this, Joan. Please give Petey a hug from all of us. I know he's a special dog - the you "catch the bug" with always is.

We'll be praying for your family and Petey.

Belle, Petie's little sister, is laying here on the floor awaiting news. Panting, after having a "puppy fit", and being her usual one of a kind self. Petie and Belle are the ones that really got Joan and i into this herding stuff (or maybe they just gave us the final shove off the cliff after her Jake and my Bailey got us started), and they introduced us to each other. 11 years later i count Joan as one of my best friends. Petie and Belle both have enough character for several dogs! Anyway, we're waiting on news....Petie's in the best of hands.

Poor Petie. :rolleyes:

I hope this amputation does the trick and that he's able to get back to living the good life soon. I wouldn't be able to sleep either. It sounds like you have a big support network though and that always helps. Lean on your friends cause they seem to care quite a bit.

I'll pray for a good outcome for Petie. Keep your chin up.

Robin, stop making me cry! Every word you said is true, and I'm so glad you were blessed with a Bubba puppy fit today.

Petie is in surgery right now. Dr. Betts left a message this morning that Petie will need a drug during surgery to increase his oxygenation. This is because of the large bleed he had when the bone broke.

I feel so bad for the Sweet Pete. Thanks to ALL of you for the support. It really helps.

Joan, you are in our prayers today. Two weeks ago, unfortunately, one of our dogs was hit by a car. It sheared the rear leg bone to the marrow and after hours of surgery it was still a 50/50 we would lose the leg. The vet says the healing has been "miraculous" and we start physical therapy next Monday. My heart has been so broken and it has been a hard road. But we are so blessed that all has gone so well and I will ask for the same healing powers for ya'll in my prayers.

Joan's on her way over to visit Petie so i'll give the short answer and she can add to it later. He came through the surgery fine but is feeling pretty "punky" as the vet put it. I think he'll perk up a bit when he sees Joan and Jim this evening. He should come home either tomorrow or friday and they won't hear back on the type of cancer for several days.