BC Boards

Recall 100% reliable

Juno is a nine month old female and has being coming on command almost since we got her at ten weeks. Our backyard is about 100 ft long and if we call her from anywhere she will almost always come. From day one we have always given her a treat for coming. The only time she won't come is when there is a major distraction like kids at the backgate, or a squirrel. In the woods she is the same. She will come most of the time but if she sees another dog or a rabbit she ignores the recall command completely. In the woods I let her loose on a a 15 foot lead so I can catch her if she doesn't return. I practice recalls in the yard quite a bit and usually a couple of times in the woods. In the yard she comes almost every time so there is no problem but in the woods when she doesn't come I have to go after her until I get the end of the 15 foot lead and then I pull her in. I then give her a treat? Do you think what I am doing will ensure a 100% recall eventually or should I be doing more?

Thanks Bill

I would add in some whiplash turns in the woods. Maybe go out and do three or four and jackpot them, then release her to enjoy the woods on her own terms (even on the line). I might not even do a recall at the end, but go to her and cue her to come along with me.

To do a whiplash turn, release her to sniff or look at something. Then - before she gets too wrapped up in it, call her. This can be done at a close distance at first. Jackpot. Rinse, repeat.

Doing this over time, and gradually increasing the time before you call her after the release, can really shore up a recall very nicely.

Bandit and I need to head to the woods to do this, as well. :)

Another thing to do is call and release in the woods right at the beginning of the walk. Get her used to responding before she's really into that walk. Do that a couple times at least. When she ignores the command, walk her down, using the 15' line, don't talk to her, and go home. I'd ignore her all the way home, and then for a little while when you get her home. Many, if not most, border collies will perceive silence as disapproval on your part. If you pair the silence with the fun ending, and it only comes when she does not respond to your command, she'll get it.

Also start asking for a recall with added distractions in your back yard. If you have a friend with a friendly dog, this is awesome. Both dogs in your back yard, call her back to you right at the beginning of the session. Give her an enthusiastic 'good dog', a nice neck scratch, and release her to go play again. Do this a couple times. Then let them play a few minutes, then end the session. You're starting small with the distractions, and letting Juno know that not every recall ends the fun. If you want to use a food reward, use something boring like kibble. See if you can do it without.

Up the excitement of the distractions gradually, do it in different areas. Walk her in safe off leash areas besides the forest, call, reward, return to walking.

Right now she knows the recall in two areas - her yard, (kind of ho-hum, but there's a biscuit involved) and the WOODS! Wild animal smells, different noises, and it's different every time she walks there! WOWSER! You need to get her used to more kinds of landscapes/noises/happenings. Broadening her horizons, so to speak, will help teach her that she always needs to recall when you tell her to.

And no, no biscuit after you've had to go and get her.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

For the backyard suggestion. I can get another dog but she gets really excited when company comes (dogs and people).What course of action do you suggest if she does not come when the other dog is there. For sure I'll never catch her unless she is on the 15 foot lead. If she is on the lead should I just pull her in and then try again?

Thanks

Bill

Bill, you've got a little remedial work to do. Start with teaching her to control herself - you'll be 'proofing' Juno, so that in the face of any distraction, she will respond to your cues.

At 9 months old, yeah, she's in adolescence, but she's still capable of learning what to expect. Random cues to sit or wait while on walks. Take her walking in areas she's not been before - very enticing with the new scents! Keep up the random cues. If she does any tricks, like give you a paw or back up, throw those in the mix. Teach her a release word, a cue that she can sniff and trot and pay attention to anything that catches her eye, mind or nose until you give her another cue. Reinforce her taking the cues however you wish - praise, petting, a tug on rope, treats. Do this for a couple weeks. You can take her to the forest during this time, but you keep hold of her leash, and throw in the random cues. She'll be a little confused, but don't let it get to you - keep her on leash. If there's a trick or two that she knows very well already, add those, too.

Now, in a couple weeks you've got the groundwork laid for her paying attention to you when you ask for it. Set up a time for your guests to arrive. Keep her on her leash, and do the above steps. I say a couple weeks, but it might be longer, varies from dog to dog. I wouldn't go any less than the 2 weeks.

Add in some work around greeting guests, and you'll have a more mannerly dog. Keep these sessions short, you don't want either of you to melt down. It sounds like a lot of work, but a) the time will fly by, B) dogs like knowing what's expected of them especially border collies, and c) you're laying groundwork for the next 10 years at least. And, it will become second nature to you and Juno both.

Good luck!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Thanks for the great suggestions.

What does it mean to jackpot?

That is to give the dog something that he or she really likes in a large dose. It could be a whole bunch of super high value treats (meat, cheese, etc), or a game of tug. Or, in that context, permission to sniff or play in the woods.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications and the additional suggestions.

I agree it is a lot of work but work with Juno is usually rewarding.

When she learns something new or perfects something it makes me feel great.

This last week her heeling has become really good (a minute at a time) and it has really given me a good feeling of accomplishment, not to mention a much more enjoyable walk.

Cheers

Bill