BC Boards

Water Toxicity

Hi Everyone,

I would like any input on after care for my friends Border Collie Mya. We were at the river playing stick,on the 15 of July. Mya was in the water playing for about an hour and came out eyes glazed and could hardly keep them open. Mya went directly up the bank and under the truck, she vomited all over the road, my friend went to her quickly and took her to emergency.

The vet gave her IV and put her on oxygen, they took blood and said her electrolytes were way off. They kept her over night and said she got into something toxic.

After all the research we have done online we believe it was Water Toxicity. The vets in the area have had no cases in Water Toxicity.

It has been a week tomorrow and Mya is not herself. She is eating and doing her business and it all looks good, but she will stop walking and just stand there dazed. Sometimes falling asleep standing. Some times she walks and her back legs are not working.

Has this happened to you or anyone, Will Mya get better eventually.

Thanks for help.

People have lost dogs to water toxicity. Border collies and other water loving breeds are especially susceptible. If Mya was playing fetch, she was likely ingesting water each time she swam back with the stick. I do not have direct experience with the problem, but I think if she's still showing symptoms, I'd go back to the vet for additional bloodwork to see where her electrolytes are. She may just need more supportive therapy until her body can get itself back in balance.

J.

One of my neighbors was recently hospitalized, and it turned out to be water toxicity. They told her it was a good thing she got to the ER when she did, or she might have died. She was in for three days, and when she was discharged she was shaky for a while. She was told to LIMIT her fluid ingestion to no more than 16 oz. a day until further notice from the doctor. So Mya probably should not drink as much water as usual for a bit. And make sure that vet educates him/her self to water toxicity! It sounds like it takes a while for the body chemistry to get back to normal, but the vet should at least be able to tell your friend if Mya's continued disability is normal. Of if not, fix it!

Kathy Robbins

I would agree to go back to the vet. Was your dog in the water too and did not get sick? If not, I just wonder if maybe she could be eating something at your friend's house like a plant or something that could be toxic to dogs. There is some mulch that is out there that has caused many dogs here in the US to be sick. Just a thought.

MoM,

You could have multiple dogs in the water and have just one affected. It's the result of ingesting too much water, and not all dogs will do that when playing in the water. Like I said earlier, dogs who are fetching and accidentally swallowing water while they have their mouths open with a toy/whatever in it or dogs who tend to bite at ripples, etc., will be susceptible to water toxicity; dogs who don't swallow water while playing in the water will likely not have a problem. The issue is excess water causing imbalances in the body chemistry and that's what can lead to death.

J.

Thank you all for the replies...

Mya has gone back to the vet, they say it's just a waiting game.

I just wanted to know if any dogs had survived and eventually got better.

Mya's Mom has been giving her Omega 3 and liver. Short walks, short play time,

Mya seems to be a bit better everyday. They are coming over here later to go for a

walk and I will see. I will keep you updated.

My dog was in the water too, but Rio is an 10lb Westie/Yorkie, he doesn't play stick. He

just stays on the edge, barks when some throws the stick. We live on Vancouver Island and all the vets

I have called have never had a case of Water Toxicity. I am making a poster to put up at the pet stores

so more people are aware of this.

Thank you all for caring!