BC Boards

Operant conditioning

I can't imagine compelling a dog to learn agility. I'm sure it's been done, and I'm sure there are some very talented dogs & handlers who have been successful with that method, but I can't imagine getting very far at all that way.

I do use a bit of punishment for knocked bars with my girl (via interrupting), but I'm confident that it's the right tool for the job. Which... now that I type it out, seems to me a good example of why it's kind of unhelpful to get hung up on quadrants. I'm sure many would take issue with me using "P+" in agility training, but the application is kind, the dog stays happy and motivated and the bar knocking is decreasing.

I can't imagine compelling a dog to learn agility. I'm sure it's been done, and I'm sure there are some very talented dogs & handlers who have been successful with that method, but I can't imagine getting very far at all that way.

I do use a bit of punishment for knocked bars with my girl (via interrupting), but I'm confident that it's the right tool for the job. Which... now that I type it out, seems to me a good example of why it's kind of unhelpful to get hung up on quadrants. I'm sure many would take issue with me using "P+" in agility training, but the application is kind, the dog stays happy and motivated and the bar knocking is decreasing.

Most of the bar-knocking correction techniques I've seen are P- : putting the dog into a down/stay after they knock the bar and 'taking away' the self-reinforcing chance to keep running.

This is what I think. To me, it's not tedious and it is very useful to me to discuss why or why not a particular training method I employ is working.

I also come from a psychology background.

If your primary focus is psychology, then of course the quadrants are not tedious. They're the very meat and drink of behavioral psychology; discussing them would be endlessly fascinating. And I understand that people who like to classify things and make precise abstract distinctions can derive a lot of enjoyment from the opportunity to do so that quadrant discussions afford. But if your primary focus is dog training, I have not seen -- either in real life or in any of the examples given on the Boards -- any instance where resort to categorizing your method by quadrants has advanced the enterprise. That's just my observation over the years, nothing more. But I think a number of the posts in this thread tend to bear it out.