BC Boards

Are Chihuahuas less inbred than Border Collies?

Donald McCaig

border collies aren't nearly as bad as a lot if other breeds.

No, they aren't. But I'm not sure how much room for complacency there is here.

If the chart's based on pedigrees and not actually on DNA, then the real COI could be, and probably is, much higher. Some of the differences between pedigree data and DNA analysis is striking. I really haven't kept track of pedigrees for the last 20 or so years and I would never have considered myself an expert even then, but it didn't used to be at all unusual to see the same few dogs appearing over and over again in almost every pedigree I looked at back then.

I'm also curious what population(s) of border collies were used in the studies and how much of a difference it makes if they were looking at working bred dogs or show bred dogs.

The chart is determined from DNA, not from pedigrees. (There is a chart comparing the two for a few breeds of dog).

I'd also be interested in the population(s) of Border collies used for the study. Guess I'll have to go to the original source to find out.

f the chart's based on pedigrees and not actually on DNA, then the real COI could be, and probably is, much higher. Some of the differences between pedigree data and DNA analysis is striking.

I'm also curious what population(s) of border collies were used in the studies and how much of a difference it makes if they were looking at working bred dogs or show bred dogs.