BC Boards

Looking for a book

thefner

Yeah... Those prices are crazy. I used to sell antique books on eBay. People on Amazon can list a book for whatever outlandish price they want, but if the book doesn't sell, then it isn't worth that price.

One suggestion... go on eBay and make this an item you're looking for (saved search). Then, if a copy pops up, you'll get an e-mail notice. SOMETIMES people pop a valuable book like this up for $20 because they just don't know why anyone would want a not-really-old border collie book.

Yeah... Those prices are crazy. I used to sell antique books on eBay. People on Amazon can list a book for whatever outlandish price they want, but if the book doesn't sell, then it isn't worth that price.

One suggestion... go on eBay and make this an item you're looking for (saved search). Then, if a copy pops up, you'll get an e-mail notice. SOMETIMES people pop a valuable book like this up for $20 because they just don't know why anyone would want a not-really-old border collie book.

One of our local used book stores has a customer request list and you can typically give them a price and condition range for wanted books. Might be worth checking if you have a used bookstore near you.

Doesn't surprise me that it's not easy to find. It wasn't particularly easy to get back when I was selling it. I was only ever able to get a few copies, then no more.

I remember now why I no longer have a copy. Confident I'd be able to get more, I'd sold the one I'd reserved for myself, and then was never able to get any more after all. :wacko:

Another thought...

Contact those Amazon book sellers, too. They have a copy of a book that might sell in 4 years for the price they're asking. Or it might not. If you make a reasonable offer well under their asking price, they might just be happy to get what they can right now. Bird in the hand and all that.

Prices on old things really, really depend on the storage capacity and brokeness of the seller as much as the empirical worth of the thing. :)

Sorry... just saw your request to know how to save a search on eBay.

I just did a search for that book, which did not show up as available. But right at the top of the results page, there's a link to click for "follow this search." I think if you sign in to eBay with your account, it will let you keep that search in records, so when a book comes available, it will notify you. (It used to be called "saved searches" but I think it works the same way.)

Good luck!

Dear Doggers,

Ms/Mr Thefner wrote "A friend let me borrow his copies of the individual volumes, and it's about time for me to return them. I'm coveting them"

If they are in two volumes, they were published bny Shiela Grew and are even rarer than the one volume reprint by Diamond Farmbooks. Like a damn fool I loaned my Grew copies to Vicki Hearne. Wonderful woman. Disorganized. Gone. Donald McCaig

Donald

Yes, Mr. McCaig, these are the individual volumes. Didn't realize at the time that I was borrowing something so rare and valuable. I have come to realize that I will want to refer back to them again and again. I've threatened to not return them, but alas, he knows where I live!