BC Boards

Capuchin Monkey Trainer Responds

Hello:

For those of you concerned about the riding monkeys, here is the response from Tim Lepard, dog & monkey owner -trainer:

"My Name is Tim Lepard And to whom it may concern. I have been Rodeoing @9 yrs I have been traning border collies for 27 years. Longer than most of you...The monkeys are my life if they didnn like what they were doing they wouldnt do it. They are not tied on in any way. Been on Jay Leno and that was one of the Questions they asked. These monkeys are Exotic. They do what they want to do I dont make them do anything. They Love me and I love them. That is were the trust comes in. In 28 years I have only hurt one monkey. and one of the big hornn sheep hit him while he was on the dog. 3 sticthes above right eye. took care of it as soon as left the arena.. The dog that the monkeys cant have a lot of power to walk up on a ram that is stuborn.. These monkeys ,dogs and Sheep are lissecend through th Federal U.S.D.A. ... They are took better care than me.. This is what is so bad..When someone is sussecful > Everbody gets Jellious. sometimes it is not worth it because you allways loose friends.. Sorry I dont wont to be a part of chat I have to keep driving.. Got to get these animals took care of .. "

Regards, HDS

The dog that the monkeys cant have a lot of power to walk up on a ram that is stuborn..

Not fully following this sentence

These monkeys ,dogs and Sheep are lissecend through th Federal U.S.D.A. ... They are took better care than me..

I believe a lot of puppy mills are licensed through USDA, which means extremely little for those animals. Not that I'm accusing this person of treating his animals poorly. Just saying my understanding is USDA means next to nothing as far as dogs go.

He doesn't make any mention of how the dogs like monkeys riding on them or if they've been injured while doing this stunt. Would have been interesting to hear how he trains the monkeys to enjoy riding dogs and how the dogs are trained as well.

His reply would have impressed me more had he used proper grammar.

It's one thing to write like you talk on a message forum. Business correspondence should be more formal.

I'm sorry, but this made me giggle. His business is dressing monkeys up as caballeros and having them ride around the ring on dogs. I mean, c'mon. More formal? What, he should get them tuxes?

:rolleyes:

His business is dressing monkeys up as caballeros and having them ride around the ring on dogs.

Hmm. Then perhaps the poor grammar and spelling are due to one of the monkeys writing the message? :rolleyes:

Or maybe one of the BC's? Quinn has been fascinated with computers and technology since he was a pup. The lack of opposable thumbs (or even dew claws for that matter) have limited what he can accomplish but an early command was "Quinn get off the computer!"

QuinnComputer101-06.jpg

Hmm. Then perhaps the poor grammar and spelling are due to one of the monkeys writing the message? :D

Or maybe one of the BC's? Quinn has been fascinated with computers and technology since he was a pup. The lack of opposable thumbs (or even dew claws for that matter) have limited what he can accomplish but an early command was "Quinn get off the computer!"

:rolleyes:

Somehow without my input this same topic came up at a local stockdog club meeting. One of the ladies that was telling a story about the dogs and monkeys (not sure if there's others that do the same thing) said they were at a state fair and at the end of the sho the sheep were loading into a high bottom trailer. One of the sheep went under the truck instead of into the trailer, the dog went directly after it. Under the truck. All could hear the THUMP of the monkey's head on the bumper of the truck and when they next saw the sheep and dog the monkey was hanging loosely off the back of the dog. Dog didn't notice and the lady telling the story said that she was sure the monkey didn't make it. That would mean that it was tied to the back of the dog if it was hanging off. Someone else was telling the story about the monkey throwing dirt balls at the sheep.

Maybe a different guy with different monkeys?

Kristen

Hmm. Then perhaps the poor grammar and spelling are due to one of the monkeys writing the message? :rolleyes:

QuinnComputer101-06.jpg

LOL!! OK, if it was a monkey or a Border Collie writing the message, I am officially impressed!!

Not once does he mention what the dogs think of having monkeys riding around on their backs.

I have to say that this kind of "show" would not be allowed in the UK - there would be an absolute uproar about the cruelty involved to both dogs and monkey.

It reminds me of those hideous films you see of dancing bears and monkeys having their photos taken with tourists (while still being chained to their "owner").

In this day and age I really don't see how people can find this sort of thing entertaining :rolleyes:

Not once does he mention what the dogs think of having monkeys riding around on their backs.

I have to say that this kind of "show" would not be allowed in the UK - there would be an absolute uproar about the cruelty involved to both dogs and monkey.

It reminds me of those hideous films you see of dancing bears and monkeys having their photos taken with tourists (while still being chained to their "owner").

In this day and age I really don't see how people can find this sort of thing entertaining :rolleyes:

Well put Kirsty :D