BC Boards

Spur Bar Border Collies

With the emphasis on color alone that I see on the website, I suggest going somewhere else. Color, color, color is always a red flag.

As I stated I am NOT interested in purchasing from them. I did look at website and to me it looks like a puppy mill operation.

I was asked to check by a friend who was interested.

Thanks,

Suki

I wasn't meaning to imply that you were interested in getting a dog from them, just that I would not advise anyone to get a dog from them from what I could see emphasizing color alone. The multiple recent litters and "line-up" of up-and-coming bitches are also worrisome, along with a lack of real credentials/accomplishments.

Sorry if my reply seemed misguided.

Problem is the purchase was already made and now she wants to know about them!!! I would have never recommended them. She has already had pup shipped to West coast.

Thanks,

Suki

Oh, well that's a different kettle of fish. Aside from the fact that it seems your friend went about things a bit backwards (asking for information after the fact), maybe she should contact the breeder and ask for contact information for other puppy purchasers so she can ask folks who already have dogs from these people? I've never heard them mentioned here, though that doesn't mean someone doesn't have a dog from them and simply hasn't mentioned it.

J.

Ouch. Too bad she didn't ask you first.

I count (at least) six litters on the ground between 5/27/2010 and 9/8/2010. I'm with you, it all spells "puppy mill".

Why don't you just tell her that you don't have personal knowledge of this breeder, but that if she wants some good rules of thumb for judging different breeders, this site has loads of useful advice? Ask her whether her sales contract looked anything like these? (Hm, other breeders offer health guarantees? are willing to take back the pup for any reason for life? is that the case with her breeder?). She can then draw her own conclusions, and if she wants to remain in a state of denial, well, then at least you aren't being the wet blanket.

I hate to pick on Suki's friend, but seriously, who asks about the breeder AFTER they've bought and rec'd the puppy??

Alot of people. Seems like many don't find out about the "question the breeder" deal until after they have their pup. That's when people start asking, "What did the parents do?"

:rolleyes::D

I'm shocked at the prices and you have to call for pricing on the blue merle rough coats. One says it sold to an over seas buyer for over 1200 dollars.

Crap I'm lucky to get 300 for a fully vetted blue merle rough coat puppy when they make it to rescue and then I have after adoption work too. We wouldnt be hand to mouth if I pretended they were special

I'm shocked at the prices and you have to call for pricing on the blue merle rough coats.

And yet another red flag - pricing based on color/coat. I've seen ads that also based pricing on eye color. Guess what? Fancier colors and blue eyes, lots of white, and so forth seem to command higher prices.

Oh, MY! From my brief visit to their website, I learned that they have produced at least six litters in little more than three months, their prices are higher for the candy colored pups, and their bloodlines that go back to Mary Ann Harrison and Richard Swafford. It's another fancy puppy mill!!!

nancy

Funny, and sorry for the OT, but I was looking for something online today and came across the *ahem* Rose website (don't want to give free advertising). The front page lists something like trials and news and when you click on trials up comes a picture of Richard Millichap and the dog he won the International Supreme with. I guess she's trying to make a connection between all the pups she's pumping out and top dogs in the UK? I wonder if Richard knows his photo is being used to promote a mill?

J.

Funny, and sorry for the OT, but I was looking for something online today and came across the *ahem* Rose website (don't want to give free advertising). The front page lists something like trials and news and when you click on trials up comes a picture of Richard Millichap and the dog he won the International Supreme with. I guess she's trying to make a connection between all the pups she's pumping out and top dogs in the UK? I wonder if Richard knows his photo is being used to promote a mill?

J.

I call it Dramamine Border Collies. :rolleyes:

I'm shocked at the prices and you have to call for pricing on the blue merle rough coats. One says it sold to an over seas buyer for over 1200 dollars.

Crap I'm lucky to get 300 for a fully vetted blue merle rough coat puppy when they make it to rescue and then I have after adoption work too. We wouldnt be hand to mouth if I pretended they were special

We're all in the wrong business...as the nameless laugh all the way to the bank... :rolleyes:

My belief is that the woman was attracted to website. I have know idea how she found them and am not going to ask her. I was unaware that she was even considering a Border Collie. I think the reason she ask if I knew anything about them is she thought they were actively working bloodlines. At this point she has not mentioned that she is unhappy with the pup, just curious if I had any knowledge of breeder or bloodlines. Once I saw they website I felt that it was a puppy mill, but decided to post here to see if anyone knew anything specific about them. It is sad that she went out of state (we are in Northern California) and also paid such a unreasonable price. I am just hoping that all goes well with her purchase.

I thank you all for your time on answering this post and apologize if I was testy with some of mine. I am lambing and all of this started right after I had gotten in house from pulling a lamb from a ewe that was to lazy to finish the job.

Again thank you,

Suki

I hate to pick on Suki's friend, but seriously, who asks about the breeder AFTER they've bought and rec'd the puppy??

I would say the same type of person who buys a horse then gets a "pre" ( in reality post)-purchase exam and finds out that there is a distinct problem that could have been caught before the purchase..............

Archived