BC Boards

Anxiety Wrap?

kbender

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? It's a vest that dogs wear that's meant to help with fear of thunderstorms, etc. by putting pressure on certain parts of the body. It costs about $65.00 and we're leary to pay that kind of money if others haven't had any luck with it.

Here's their website:

http://www.sitstay.com/store/clothing/anxwrap.shtml

Thanks

You can use a snug fitting T shirt and it will do the same thing. Many folks who use holistic medicine with their dogs will use a snug T shirt on their dogs to help relax the dog during storms. It is based on T touch and pressure I believe. Many people swear by it for helping dogs who are thunderphobic. Many of the BC rescues use similiar methods.

Good luck

WWBC

Actually it has some merrit--- they are useing full body squeeze equiptment on Autistics. It does something to calm the nerves.

And swaddling has been used for eons to sooth babies that are over stimulated.

Not sure if total imobilization isn't more the reason those work- instead of just pressuring some areas.Unless covering the dog some interferes with static electricity sensitivity(or whatever it is that the dogs pick up on)

Before I spent $65 I'd try a blanket and swaddle the dog.

First off, thanks very much to the 3 of your responded like adults!

We've tried to hold and pet her, but that didn't seem to work, in fact, I think it actually made it worse. They say to never coddle a dog when it's behaving fearful, cause that sends the wrong message to the dog. I've also tried to cover her with a blanket, hoping the darkness would give her a feeling of safety. No dice, she's too busy running around like a maniac. We've tried music, Rescue Remedy, Benadryl and just plain ignoring her and trying to act like we don't notice. But that's hopeless when she jumps on and runs across the table after a loud boom of thunder (she's 45 lbs). I've been reading a lot of websites about this wrap (all positive reviews, so far) and just wanted to hear if anyone here had tried it or something similar to the wrap.

To anyone who doesn't have this problem with their dog, you're lucky. But don't make jokes. I've been told of one dog who became so disoriented with fear from a thunderstorm that she put herself through a large glass window. She didn't make it!

For $16.95, you can buy the TTouch book for dogs that, as someone else pointed out, not only explains how to wrap your dog using ordinary materials, but it also explains how to use the wrap most effectively.

You might also want to read Dr. Karen Overall's article about storm phobias. For that matter, anyone who thinks storm phobias are a joke might want to read this article.

Originally posted by kbender:

To anyone who doesn't have this problem with their dog, you're lucky. But don't make jokes.

I DO actually have a dog that is pretty much paralyzed during thunderstorms (and Halloween, and Canada Day, and New Year's Eve, you get the idea.) I have even had to replace a sofa due to the mess she made of it- think bodily fluids in large amounts. She now gets put in her crate, in the bedroom (her usual sleeping place) with the door closed and the radio turned up. In extreme cases I've given her Valerian root. I don't like drugging my dog but just enough valerian will sedate her without knocking her into next week.

My 'jaded' reply was more or less meant to convey my distrust of something that, initially, sounds very much like somebody's latest scheme to help concerned pet owners part with more money. I would be much more open to talking to someone about trying Tellington TTouch or similar therapy (something I can do for my dog myself.)

Originally posted by CoRayBee:

My 'jaded' reply was more or less meant to convey my distrust of something that, initially, sounds very much like somebody's latest scheme to help concerned pet owners part with more money. I would be much more open to talking to someone about trying Tellington TTouch or similar therapy (something I can do for my dog myself.)

I agree about the possibility of "latest schemes", which is why I posted the question to begin with. And I would have been more willing to discuss it with you two had you responded with a little more respect, rather than just shoot back a smart-a** childish remark. I've also heard about the TTouch and am currently trying that. But, I'm also looking for other alternatives like that which is why I posted the question about the wrap. As I've since stated, I've been researching this idea and was looking for others in the same position and who have done the same research.

I've personally seen anxiety wraps and TTouch work for a number of situations. There's been at least one write-up in Whole Dog Journal about it.

People often make fun of what they don't understand; don't let their ignorance affect you.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

People often make fun of what they don't understand; don't let their ignorance affect you.

Message recieved LOUD and CLEAR.............. :rolleyes:

As I said in my previous post (did you even bother to read it?) I am open to methods of treatment like Tellington TTouch.

I would love to see the veterinary endorsement and/or the successful studies of the anxiety wrap. I know bloody well that a modified version of this is being used for children with autism. I am not completely ignorant, thank you very much, rtphokie. I simply did not think that I was alone in wanting to hear about studies before I was willing to part with my well earned money on a product I and my veterinarian had never heard of before. Apparently I was mistaken.

I do a home-made anxiety wrap on Riley. I started out using an ace bandage, but his chest is so deep and his waist so narrow that it kept sliding down to his waist. So now I put a sports bra on him, and pin the beginning and end of the ace bandage wrap to it.

I use this in conjunction with Rescue Remedy and allowing him into his crate or under our bed. Sometimes I give him some melatonin, too. ( article about melatonin for noise-phobia and/or epilipsey )

I don't know which one of these is doing the trick cause if I only do one of them, he still jumps at every crack of thunder or firework. But with all of these he will sleep peacefully in the kennel (or under the bed).

Or is is that he is too embarassed about the sports bra to come out in public? :rolleyes:

I'm really encouraged by what I've been hearing regarding a wrap. So far, I have not heard or read a single negative review from anyone who's tried this. And it's a much better and safer alternative to the drug therapy, which is encouraging.

Yesterday afternoon, I went through my workout clothes and found a spandex tank top that I thought might work, so I slipped that on her (arm holes were ackward on her, she didn't like that part). Later in the evening, there was some fireworks in a neighboring village, and it didn't seem to wake her from a nap. When we went to bed, I took it off her and then some kids down the street blew off some firecrackers. That upset her and we ignored her jumping on and off the bed and pacing the floor. She eventually settled down after about 15 minutes. During the night, she heard some thunder and woke us up, so I took her downstairs and slipped the shirt back on her. She immediately laid on her blanket and went right to sleep. We didn't have any rain, she just heard a passing cloud with some heat thunder going over (this dog has radar ears!). The real test will be an actual storm, but I was already surprised and impressed with just the shirt.

Can a solution to these poor dogs fear really be this simple? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement and info on the wrap/cape!! This is has been a real dilemma for us, we've had to cancel appts. just to stay home with her and keep her from hurting herself whenever it rains. Maybe we found the answer.

Kbender, you might try to find someone who teachs TTouch. Every year I go for a weekend near Ottawa Ont. called 'Campdogwould'. One of the classes that is taught is TTouch. I know that it is a very popular class and that the intstructor is trained specifically in the TTouch method. I have seen dogs walking through the campsite wearing t-shirts and wraps so that is definitely part of the training.

If I were going to use the anxiety wrap, I think I'd first want to be familiar with the 'why' & 'how' it works.

Good luck.

Hi KrisK,

I've checked online and found a few folks several miles from us that use TTouch, but on equestrian. Still worth looking into, though, in case they do any training, etc. on dogs, too. I'm definitely interested in learning more about this.

Also, I've printed out some info I found on how to do this and have been trying it for a few days now and it really seems to help (at least, I think I'm doing it right). Our worry is if/when we are gone all day, she won't be able to benefit from TTouch then. The wrap theory might be the answer.

Thanks very much!

I went through my workout clothes and found a spandex tank top that I thought might work, so I slipped that on her (arm holes were ackward on her, she didn't like that part).
Maybe it will fit a bit better if you turned it around backwards before putting it on. Just for kicks the other day I was surfing the net looking for some sporty doggy t-shirts and decided to try and put one of my sons shirts on Navi to see how he would react. It didn't fit quite right putting it on like my son would but when I turned it around it fit better (still not perfect though). He actually enjoyed letting me put it on him and wearing it around the house for a little while. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, TTouch started out with horses, then moved to other animals. I'm sure you'll find someone who can help. I think TTouch must have a 'lasting' effect since it is used for animals with separation anxiety as well. I'm hoping to learn more about it too since I have a fear aggressive BC, and I'm sure it would help Zachary, the miniature schnauzer as well.

I am currently doing classroom observations, and the other day there was an autistic student who was also ADHD. At one point his aide put a weighted vest on him, similar to this. It had pockets in certain areas with sand in them, and when I asked about it the aide told me it calms him down and helps to keep him focused. These were third graders.

Alaska, both links are to the TTouch book. I'd really appreciate it if you could re-post Karen Ovreall's storm phobia link. I'd really like to read the article.
Whoopsy daisy. I fixed the link above, and here it is again here.

First off, I would like to purchase some storm water please! :rolleyes:

Whether or not your dog gets weather knots, that made me giggle! No one meant any harm.

I too have a dog that freaks during storms. I don't give too much merit to the storm pack. My Pete would take his storm pack and go hide.

IMO, picking the dog up, or letting it sit in your lap, says, "yes you should be scared, I'll protect you".

Before you invest in a storm pack, have you tried peppermint oil? (lots cheaper) Some people put it on the pads, and it calms the dog. What does your dog do? Hide? Is that so bad? Here in FL, it storms daily this time of year. If my dog is comfortable riding it out in the barn, I am ok with that.

Kbender, I can identify very much with what you're experiencing. Its very stressful for me, and somewhat scary. It IS getting better though for us.

Here is what is happening with one of my dogs: for hours/a day before a storm she starts acting skittish and weird. Then before/as the storm hits, she starts running around blindly terrified. She'll jump up and down off of things like dressers, bathroom sinks, etc. Make no mistake, this dog is terrified. She is finally beginning to respond to a "that'll do" in midst of this, so I am able to call her to me finally.

We have been doing some drug therapy, but we are also using the DAP diffuser (dog appeasing pheremone). When the storm hits, I put her in her kennel in the dog room (11x12 bedroom) with the door shut and DAP plugged in, and I crank up the TV, turn on the lights, and then sit down in a chair in there and read a book (for the nonchalance factor, and to keep myself from coddling her. Of course I'm actually not able to really READ the book).

I also would like to try the anxiety wrap thing as well. Ultimately I would like to fade the meds out, but right now I feel like they are necessary.

I may go buy an el-cheapo kids t-shirt from the dollar store and try it out on her. If I can find one, I'll let you all know how it goes.