BC Boards

Full height?

by what age do BCs reach full height in general? o: Luna's now 6 months old but i feel like she hasn't grown in size for 2 months! most visitors aren't noticing a big change either, i've even been jokingly asked if she's a mini BC. her parents were pretty big too. also, do dogs go through growth spurts? o:

forgive me if those questions are rather silly; it's been nearly a decade since i last owned a dog, haha.

Border collies are generally done with most of their growth by 6 or 7 months. They may gain a small bit of height up to a year or so, but it won't be much.

They'll often continue to fill out for a while longer, ime, up to about 2 years.

Then some will fill out a bit more. I had an intact male who hadn't changed at all after he hit 2, until one day I looked at him and he had filled out seemingly overnight. My current male, neutered at about 1.5-2 years (rescue, so exact age unknown) did the same thing, though not as dramatically.

Oddly, I can't remember about my females. It's been such a long time since I've had a young, PB female.

A lot depends on the growth patterns they've inherited from their parents, and from what I've seen the boys grow a little longer than girls. Feist is 17" or so and just turned 8 months old, she's looking pretty much done (her body is evened out and non-puppyish), I don't think she'll grow much more height-wise if at all.

sorry for the late response, all.

thanks for your input! wow, that's tiny. i definitely recall her mum being taller, and her father's muzzle was the size of my hand (right now my hand is slightly bigger than Luna's entire head!). i don't know her exact measurements, but as it is late here and pup is asleep, i'll check tomorrow and let you guys know!