BC Boards

Quirky Registered/Full Names...AKC PAL Registration?

I love adding to my vocabulary. I wish my brain would go there, I got A$$, but Partially Imbicilic Tight was not working for me, neither was anything else I came up with. I'm pretty good at figuring out what these abreviations must not stand for though... :rolleyes:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Doggers,I've read 19th century doggy newspapers where it was decided there couldn't be more than one "Spot" because someone in Boston might buy a pup from an Illinois breeder and not get the Spot-get, they'd paid for. Hence, singular names.Sheepdoggers named their dogs with monosylables for better communication in wind, over great distances, etc and it became traditional. The ISDS won't register "cute" names.There's no reason to believe the relative small name pool leads to any confusion, indeed, I know one handler who named every single male "Glen" and people had no trouble distinguishing "the Glen that wrecked at Oatlands" from his "Glen who made the cut at Meeker, the year Cap won it."Although I too have "pet" names for my sheepdogs and often "pet" songs as well, I dislike wittily naming a real dog "Latch of Storm Door" and his get "Screen of storm door" because naming is power (Cf W Bush and his nicknames) and long corny/cute official names belittles the sheepdog and centuries of sensible tradition.Donald McCaig

Doesn't sound very simple or efficient to have to go through a dog's biographical details to distinguish it but if those who use that method are happy with it who am I to criticise?

Belittlement is a human concept with no relevance to the dog.

I don't see the need for over long and/or elaborate names but what the heck if others want to use them? It's not high on my list of things to fret over except in so far as it inconveniences me personally.

We had a cat named PITA. My grandmother asked, "as in pita bread?" To her I answered "yes", but to everyone else, we told the truth - Pain In The A$$. (He was mostly Siamese, and yowled whenever someone went outdoors and he felt abandoned).

ABCA registration papers only allow for so many letters - yet one more reason why you won't see working Border collies with long names. At most a short kennel name preceding the "regular" name, just as someone else already noted.

As for monosyllabic names - it's interesting how even the dogs I have with monosyllabic names tend to get them extended as endearments: "Spainie" and "Ross-Ross" or "Rossito". Unless their names are being uttered sternly, in which case it reverts to one syllable: "ROSS!!!"

In the QH world it is common to combine sire and dams names. So in my industry, we have one gazillion or more horses running around with Peppy...., or ....Peppy....., or ......Peppy....you catch my drift. It does distinguish them somewhat but I will admit....they are starting to sound so much alike....the effect is gone. Especially in the days of internet.

I do however find it weird that people will call their dog Don, when the sire's name was Don....

For people like me, who are not immersed in researching pedigrees, it is really confusing. I will admit, I find it helpful to see a dogs name giving a clue as to where they come from. For example Red Top dogs or Kinloch....!

In the GSD world, there are kennel names. They often used to indicate the person or location behind the dogs. For example.....Arthur vom Haus Mueller. At some point....a family by the name Mueller stood behind them. Also, every litter registered has to have the same letter of the Alphabet. First litter with an A, second with a B....and so on. So I know that when I look at my breeders info, if a dog that starts with the letter G that just did well at a trial...it is a littermate to my girl. \

All of my Border Collies have traditional names as I like the short easy call names. But I do try to find something else than Don (no offense) which will stand out a bit. Ok...so Blimpie being the exception but that is another story.

My Germans all have traditional names for their breed and culture.

And I don't actually easily recall any of my horses registered names.....LOL

Really? I don't think I ever say his name spelled any way but Fred at trials. Was it really FFredD on his pedigree?

Best Border Collie name ever; FRedD on the ABCA papers. Working bred dog, trialed USBCHA. FRedD = F*cking Red Dog. (A joke for the anti red crowd.)

My dogs get short names because it just works for me. I don't necessarily stick to one syllable, but my first border collie's name was three syllables, and it was pretty quickly shortened to two because the longer name was just too cumbersome for everyday use, which would explain registered names and call names, huh? This dog was not registered, so no biggie anyway.

I am not in the habit of going back in a pup's pedigree to find the name for said pup, but I understand why people do it. I don't get naming dog after dog the same thing either, although I had a boss once who had a succession of cocker spaniels all named Maggie, so that practice is definitely not limited to the working border collie world.

I think some long registered names are clever, and if folks like doing that, it's up to them--it's their dog. I will admit that when I see such names it does bring to mind AKC and the AKC mindset. But again, that's really about me and my own perceptions.

J.

I tend to extend one syllable names to two, as well. Dean became Dean Dog. Neither my husband nor I remember why or how. Naming Tessa after Speedy's mother, Tess became Tessa.

I've run into Agility people who insist on one syllable call names on the course. I was actually told by one at some point that "Dean" was too long and I should shorten it to "D". I almost always use the two syllable versions and have never really had a problem with that. If I call "Tess" or "Dean" at times, then I just do, but I don't try to avoid two syllables in that context.

I figure whatever is natural works best in the moment.

I don't get naming dog after dog the same thing either, although I had a boss once who had a succession of cocker spaniels all named Maggie, so that practice is definitely not limited to the working border collie world.

This is personal preference as well, but I never understood people who gave every dog the same name. It seems so odd to me. Like the dogs aren't individuals with their own personalities and traits. They are just interchangeable so the same name is fine. Plus it would be a drag for me to try to distinguish the Don who was my first dog and so smart from the Don who was a stray from the Don who was my favorite ever from the three Dons who are currently living with me etc. But I probably talk way more about my dogs than lots of people. And if they only have one dog at a time and don’t discuss the dog much, what the heck. Just feels very alien to me.

"Mugglemumps Frosting on the Daisy" ok that one made me laugh out lound! :lol: Good one Gloria!

My border collie is named Cowboy. But you can call him. . .Cowboy! Or Schmush, or Cowpie, or Cowpuddle.

My other dog is named Ladybird (the English word for Ladybugs). But we all her Birdie.

Gideon gets called Gid, if I want his attention like 3 second ago, same with Micah being called Mike.

One of my horse's dad was named The Strutter and Mom was Tardee's Silly Filly, so my girl got saddled with Strut Myself Silly, which she did NOT, being a very down to earth Paint. But her stable name was Magic, and that she is, especially since I just donated her to the local Equine Assisted Therapy program. They were so happy they cried, they had never been given a horse that didn't need a ton of work before, much less one that needed no work at all.

My Haflinger has a breed culture of simple names, so she is just Rose. Actually they have to have a name that starts with the same letter as their same gender parent, so her name is really Garden Rose, but we don't tell her that.

Of course none of that applies to my JRT, who has about 50 different names, some long, some short.

My GSDs always had German names. One was named after a German saying "Ein augenblick, bitte." Which means literally "An eyeblink, please." or figuratively "Just a moment, please." but I called her Blink. Bonnie's name meant trailblazer.

I love having fun with names, but I still like simple.

We have 2 QH mares that we raised. They are cutting bred but when we named them we didn't go back in pedigree. Mine is JT ROYAL ZIPSTER. J is my first initial T is my daughters and the zipster because as a foal she would zip around the pasture as fast as her legs would go. So we call her Zipster, Zipper or Zip and some days can't put on here. The other is T's Peppermint Choice. She is a sorrel with white in her flanks. So she is pep or pepper.

Kian my Bc is red , I wanted something a little different so instead of Cayenne it's Kian.

We have always tried to come up with a name that described them in some form.

Mom and Dad are in their early 80's and had a GSD pup named Kelly. They lost her to a heart attack at about 1 yr. When they got another pup, dad was so used to calling Kelly that he could not remember the new pups name so she became Kelly 2.

I have no problem with the really long, fancy names although some of them make me laugh. And others just make me shake my head in confusion. My dogs have always been named their kennel name and then their name. So Rose is "Crawford's BrierRose" because she is a shelter dog and didn't have a kennel name. Loki is "BABI Loki" which I realize is simple and boring. If I could rename Loki I would call him "BABI Loki FluffyButt." or maybe simply "BABI Stinky." :)

But as comical as I may find some KC registered names I must admit that ABCA does have some whoppers. For instance Loki's pedigree lists a "RIPONGOODCOOKIE." What? I am so curious as to exactly why they named the dog that. :blink:

Bethany

Regarding dogs named FredD or PITA...

My young girl is named Sol, as in sun, because she is so bright and shiny, like the sun. I didn't realize when I named her that the name would come in handy as she was a naughty puppy and I realized that Sol is also sh#t outta luck. It fit nicely and makes me and my friends laugh.

My family had cat names that "ran in the family". For instance, when my dad was a boy he had a gray cat named "Pepper". Growing up I had 2 different gray cats named "Pepper" and now my much younger little sister has a gray cat named "Pepper". When I asked the folks if I could get her a couple kittens for her 7th b'day my dad said, "sure, but one needs to be gray" and of course it ends up as "Pepper" . We also had a similar thing going with dark tabby cats and the name "Kitty" (3 different farm cats over a 25 yr period).

Oddly enough, my aunt had a (black long haired) dog named "Missy" and my first Border Collie (also long haired and mostly black) was "Missy". Her Missy passed away a few years before I got mine and when my dog came with the name I didn't change it. The name suited her and it wasn't confusing for whatever reason - the dogs were referred to as "my" Missy or "your" Missy.

How about quirky names that you avoid like the plague? We have discovered that we can never name a buff colored chicken Buffy, because every single Buffy we have had has committed suicide. And who in their right mind would name a JRT Angel? But somehow we ended up with one.

I'm on my second "Sugarfoot" and my mother had a dog named Sugarfoot when she was a kid. I didn't know that when I named my first one, but it was a common name where I grew up for horses with white socks.

I used to know someone who had a tiny, white drake Call Duck named Angel. He was the biggest jerk in the flock of 20...

Gideons Girl- please tell me you had Buffy and Angel at the same time...

When I was a little kid I had a wonderful pet hen named 'Darkie' (no intended racist connotations- there were two similar red hens varying only in the amount of white visible, so we had darkie and lightie.) So every exceptionally nice hen after that had its original name replaced by Darkie (whatever number we were on by then.)

Mine were sweet, which is why we got even more of them to try again. Suicide is jumping a 6 foot fence to get in the dog run, where the GSD nose poked the chicken into a heart attack or something. Or sleeping on the ground by the fence where a raccoon could reach through and kill it. Or going through 3 different fences to get in with the ACDs to play tug o war, yuck!! The final one hunkered down in the middle of the pasture when a hawk was hunting, instead of running for cover like the other 20 chickens did. I lost 8 all together. I actually still have 1, I just quit calling her Buffy.

Hello! I'm new here and thought who better to ask than the working Border Collie people themselves!

So here goes. Why do Border Collie people seem to stay away from the quirky or elaborate (for lack of better words) registered names? (So for example a dog with the call name "Type" would be "Blah Blah's Typing On The Computer" instead of just "Type" or "Blah Blah's Type".) I remember when I registered my puppy with NADAC for agility, I asked my trainer (who's had working Border Collies forever) what I should name him as a full name and she said, "Oh don't do the stupid naming thing, just register him under his name." So is there a reason for this? Is it just personal preference? Are Border Collies with longer registered names viewed disdainfully by people with working Border Collies?

Also, while I know this thread is very anti AKC, what do you think about registering for agility? I always competed through NADAC, but found out about the PAL registration which would allow me to compete in AKC events even though his parents weren't registered. Has anyone else done this? Is this a good idea?

I think Liz (Shetlander) put it best when she said:

I think the dislike of special registered names is due to the dislike of kennel club mentality and practices.

As for getting a PAL for your dog to compete in AKC sports, most everyone here will steer you away from it. But, that is a personal decision only you can make. I am one of those evil AKC participants, though, and my dog's PAL registered name is just "Alex". :)

I loved my RIRs too. Mine were all consistent layers (I had a bunch of breeds). I would say that the RIRs were a bit more militant on the nest (as in they would defend their eggs from me when the buff orpingtons wouldn't dream of pecking me for taking an egg). Honestly, except for some odd breeds most young hens (1-3 years) will lay consistently. I will say that my RIRs and Dominickers were more likely to lay double yolked eggs. But I just liked my chickens, so aside from deliberately choosing heritage breeds when I could, I just chose breeds I liked to look at. For an average person or couple, a small flock of chickens will produce more eggs than you can use, so even if hens get older and don't lay every day, you probably won't notice (caveat: if you have a flock of just two or three, then of course lack of consistent laying will be more noticeable).

P.S. My favorite hen was named Willow's Rest Queen of the Pecking Order, aka "chicken," lol!

J.