BC Boards

Diane's barn fire

bcollie

I haven't seen it posted here anywhere and thought all of Diane Pagel's online friends would want to know. She had a bad barn fire last night. All of the dogs survived but she did lose some sheep, hay, vehicles, saddles, etc. Here is the link to the news article.

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...arnfire20e.html

My thoughts go out to her!

Geri

Hi all,

It's me....Diane.....still numb and at a loss for words.

A brief update and I'll write more later

Woke up about 4:45ish or so, to fire popping and dogs barking. ran outside while Jeff called 911.

Barn was in flames and one side had a huge fireball. I had 2 pups in the outside kennel and got them out as the tapr was melting above them and the backend of their kennel was in flames. about i minute more they would have not made it.

someone gave the firemen the worng directiosn so they arrived 10-15 minues vs the 2 minutes they would have...since they are 2 minutes from my house. The flames were over 40 ft high and could be seen over one mile away....it burned for hours.

Out barn is 40 x 70 ft and was totally burned to the ground. I had my lambing jugs set up and lost mom and babies, ewes ready to drop and a lamb plus my 14 yr favorite ewe who was stiff, half blind and toothless. She had her own special stall and was the farm pet. She has 5 generations on the farm and is one of the foundation ewes. I found her still in the same position as she was wheniI did the barn check at 10:30...more than likely she never woke up. Six sheep so far but we have several more that are not dong well from the fire.

Kodiak, the Grt Pyr took my Clun Forest sheep and lmabs out of the stall and saved them. Two stall had open access and Kodi and the Cluns were in one. He herded them out to safety and tucked them away in the forest by the far end of the pind. He was singed on his backend and was on fire and rolled in mud to put it out. The other sheep left the other stall and the goats got the top fur singed. The horses were outside since I had just booted them out to make room for the mom and babies. Lost all of my sheep supplies/ horse supplies, 10 tons alfala, 2 tons grass hay, about 1/2 ton fo grain, camping gear etc....everything was stored in the barn that was not in the house.

Jeff lost his music recording studio, 1957 fender telecaster, other vintage guitar, custome made guitar, recording stuff and other music pieces. He had a full studio set up.

Half of the barn cats did not make it. Rigby, the Border cat slept in the laundry room with his dogs so he was safe. Henry (fat, spoiled cat who waddles) amazingly survived and Zorro, the black cat who is my assistant when I train (and Rigy too!!) also made it.

Had this happened three hours later I would have lost of my Border Collies...you see, their kennels are in the barn or next to the barn.

I'll post more later as I am numb and in a daze. The insurance will hardly give us anyting for ther barn etc....<sigh> and the county code enforcement is a pain saying we can not rebuild etc <sigh> but we are talking to our lawyer etc....

All in all, Jeff and I are alive, most of the livestock are ok, the cats are now laundry room cats and all of the Border Collies are alive.

Kiss your loved one and your fur-kids. Don't argue but kiss your loved one when you go to sleep or leave as you never know what can happen in life....life is too short to take for granted.

Thank you all for yout thought and prayers.

Diane Pagel

Jeff Freeman

Diane, I am so sorry for yall's loss. I watched our neighbors barn go up in flames this past July and there's nothing you can do.It's a helpless sick feeling. It's so sad about losing the music and stuff. All the things that are irreplaceable. Give Kodiak a big hug from me! A hug to both of you too. That's always my greatest fear in life either the house or the barn going up in flames. Prayers and best wishes for yall's recovery and rebuilding.

I'm sorry Diane. Words are just inadequate - prayers for you and your family. So glad your dogs are al safe but very sorry for the los of the sheep and cats, not to mention the material. 12 tons of hay, wow. Hope the rebuilding goes smoother than it is looking right now.

Diane, please know you guys are thought of over here in Australia too. I can only imagine how you are feeling - thank goodness the dogs are safe. You might like to know that Kodiak's brave act made it to a local dog forum over here, and people are suitably impressed at how he carried out his job. If good thoughts and warm wishes help - you have them.