BC Boards

Border Collies to Pull Dog Sled?

We finally made it through the winter, and me and the dogs are all glad about it! During the winter it is much harder to get them work, because where we take lessons for herding doesn't give lessons during the winter. I had an idea for getting more work during the winter, dog sledding! Obviously Libby is still just a puppy, so it probably wouldn't be until not this winter but next winter until we start. So, my question is- Could two border collies pull a dogsled? My main concern is their safety, I don't want them getting hurt. Also, what age should we start? Libby is about 3 months right now. Also, if any of you have any experience in this area, approximately how much does it generally cost for the sled and all the equipment and everything you need?

They can pull a sled, but they won't be able to sustain speed or go great distances. For that, you need 3 to 5 dogs at minimum, depending on your weight and the weight of your equipment.

Start up costs can be as low as $300 for used equipment, but you can spend many thousands on higher end sleds. I would suggest trying them with a scooter (or bike if you already have one) first to see if pulling agrees with them. Michigan has a pretty active dog sledding club. I would get in contact with them. Some clubs even offer clinics for newbies.

This is a great starter sled (affordable and handles well, considering it's bolted and not lashed).

I have a used cart that is looking for a new home. It needs tires, but otherwise it's in excellent shape. The cart is located in KS if you are willing to take a road trip. It's too heavy for 2 dogs though.

www.sleddogcentral.com

Theo-mushing.jpg

cartduncanlead.jpg

You could also try skiijoring (or scootering)...only need one or two dogs and you don't need a sled so start up cost is a bit less.

I hope to give it a try next year with Meg. The local dog sledding club sometimes offers a beginning skiijoring course so I'm hoping to start there and see how we do...but first I need to learn to cross country skii...lol.

I would love the kart, but I only have two dogs, and also road trips are not exactly my thing. :) I looked up skijoring and it looks like a ton of fun!! I would love to try it, and it looks like something that the dogs could pull pretty easily. I have the same problem here though. I have never skied at all! Not downhill or cross country! So I guess I'll have to work on that! Well, at least that gives me something to look forward to for next winter! :) (its pretty hard to make me look forward to winter. ;) )

You should try scootering for when it's not winter... And I would start working on commands now, instead of in the winter when you're all strapped into your skis and your dogs don't know what to do.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DogsLovetoRun/ (sorry if posting different groups/forums isn't allowed. But they've got a lot of tips specifically about sledding/scootering/etc.)

For scootering do you have to have a scooter made specifically for dog scootering? Or could I just take a scooter, for example my electric scooter (obviously have it dead so that I don't run over any of my dogs), and just tie my dogs onto it with harnesses (when they know the commands).

How would you teach them the commands if they are not strapped in? Do you just hold their leashes in your hand and sort of make them pull you on the ground or??? Sorry, I'm clueless! ;)