BC Boards

can sheep eat pine needles?

Bounce

I have a quick question. The guy with the Katahdins said one of the yearlings slipped her lambs after she ate Scotch pine needles in the field. She was bred back to her sire. I have alot of black spruce and jack pine and tamarisk in my horse paddock. I do have an alternate pinefree field to keep sheep in. I would like to be able to rotate pastures so I want to know if there is a hazard to my someday sheep. The Katahdin guy has raised sheep for 19 years in this area.

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but I do graze my sheep periodically in between evergreens (they eat any they can reach) and have not associated this practice with abortions.

I will forewarn you that sheep can totally girdle and kill trees. Some of our evergreens are 30 - 40 ft. tall, and I've had to wrap them with chicken wire to protect the bark. The sheep still, however, have eaten the lower branches up to several feet off the ground.

Kim