BC Boards

Guess the breed!

We adopted Rusty from Dog's Trust in Ilfracombe as a companion for our 3 year old male GSD, it said on his papers that is a 'Collie Cross', but I'm just wondering if some experts can help us decide what he's crossed with?

His Story

He was a 'sticky' dog and had been there for 10 months, after being placed with one family for a couple of weeks. He had originally been bought as a companion for a bed-ridden lady, but as he more collie than anything else that didn't go very well! He had a lot of issues...

We were told that he resource guards, had to be anaesthatised (sp?) to be groomed, would guard sick/poo, wasn't very well house-trained, didn't like guests, got aggressive touching his back end, has seperation anxiety and he didn't get on with Murphy to begin with!

The first few weeks were rocky, to say the least. He HATED our house-mate, would bare his teeth and charge at him - until Murphy jumped on him! We learnt that he definitely wasn't house-trained, that did wonders for the carpet. He decided one night that he didn't want me near a plastic bag, snapped at me, bared his teeth, growled and generally terrorised me! I came down from a shower once to find the housemate glued to the back of the sofa with Rusty guarding Nick's shoes...needless to say we were at our wits end!

HOWEVER! With a lot of patience and hard work we've managed to get through the majority of his aggression issues. Murphy and him get on beautifully, they play 24/7 and are such good fun. I can now groom him all over, with a brush and sometimes without treats! We had lots of guests over and now he runs up for fuss, tail wagging and brings them a tennis ball to throw! Most people don't believe us when we say he had aggression issues. He doesn't guard anything with us anymore (touch wood!) and never guarded poo or sick with us. His house-training and seperation anxiety are on-going issues which we are working on, but the two go hand in hand sometimes!

Overall, things are going really well! I would encourage anyone to stick with a dog with aggression, because they can turn into such wonderful dogs! He gives me a cuddle and a kiss every morning, and bounds over to me whenever I shout 'cuddle!'. I had lots of university deadlines the other week and ended up having a little cry on the bed, and he came and nuzzled me and got his nose in my face and licked my tear, what more could you ask for?

Behaviours

He ADORES herding, to the point where he tries to herd cars on walks by lying down in a ready to pounce position and barking.

He is obsessed with playing fetch.

He rests his head on you/anything a lot.

He 'backs up' up a lot, by trotting backwards and then barking if he wants you to play.

Pictures!

14557_223798442504_501342504_3011929_259710_n.jpg

16835_237603652504_501342504_3076413_4413498_n.jpg

14557_223797632504_501342504_3011927_1025175_n.jpg

14557_223798442504_501342504_3011929_259710_s.jpg

8528_170834133816_504188816_2563940_6353200_n.jpg

8528_170834798816_504188816_2563941_7409181_n.jpg

Welcome to the Border Collie Boards.

Rusty looks like a border collie. I would note, however, that none of the behaviors you mention in and of themselves would say border collie to me. A note on the car chasing (not herding) behavior: It's a very dangerous game for Rusty to partake in. I'm sure you already know this, but you need to train him to not crouch, lunge, bark, etc., at passing cars. If he were to get off leash and indulge in such behavior it could result in the loss of his life. The one behavior that would definitively say "border collie" would be if he were actually to show aptitude for working stock. All the other stuff that folks call strong herding instinct or herding behavior (chasing cars, chasing and nipping kids, "working" balls, etc.) is not working and cannot be used to say "this dog is a border collie."

J.

Welcome to the Border Collie Boards.

Rusty looks like a border collie. I would note, however, that none of the behaviors you mention in and of themselves would say border collie to me. A note on the car chasing (not herding) behavior: It's a very dangerous game for Rusty to partake in. I'm sure you already know this, but you need to train him to not crouch, lunge, bark, etc., at passing cars. If he were to get off leash and indulge in such behavior it could result in the loss of his life. The one behavior that would definitively say "border collie" would be if he were actually to show aptitude for working stock. All the other stuff that folks call strong herding instinct or herding behavior (chasing cars, chasing and nipping kids, "working" balls, etc.) is not working and cannot be used to say "this dog is a border collie."

J.

Yeah, this is something we are working on with him. We have him on a halti at the moment (yes I know the bad points about them) attached to a collar and his harness, as I am so paranoid about him getting off the lead and chasing a car. With the halti we can redirect his attention to us when we're walking him past cars, and he seems to be getting it.