BC Boards

Deer or Elk antlers?

Duck necks are great for medium sized dogs. Might be too small for bigger dogs. I wish I could still get duck necks. I fed them frozen and the dogs loved them.

While we're on the topic of necks, people should be aware that chicken necks are too small for all but very small dogs. They're a perfect size to be swallowed whole and are thus a choking hazard.

When I first got Oscar and George as 8 week old puppies, I bought a whole bag of chicken necks to feed them. Then I saw Oscar gulp his down whole (while frozen) and never fed one again. I do occasionally give turkey necks, or rib or neck bones. I don't bother with bully sticks, ears etc as chews because they are gone in less than a minute, although they can be a treat for my boys. I just don't expect them to last and keep them occupied.

I keep reading these kinds of threads hoping for some newly found all mighty perfect chew....but alas, none exist yet. Right now my two medium chewers are ok with short sessions of frozen bully sticks and that hard Himalayan cheese bar thingy....freeze them and last quite a while. Other than that I have to be really careful with any meaty bones as it easily gives the boys the trots....unfortunately.