BC Boards

Coat changes? Time line. New member.

Hello I'm new here but a member over on allbordercollie.

Anyway I got my BC Yoti last February. He is 9 months old today.

He is a great friend and goes pretty much everywhere with me. It is a bit of confusion as to who his daddy is. I was told one BC in Feb but another BC later. I'll post pics.

I was wondering when your BC's mane and coat came in. I understand it's different for each dog. His mama is medium rough coat and both the males could be his daddy have longer rough coats. Yoti seemed to lose his puppy coat at about 4 months old. At 6 months he had grown a good bit of hair (not as much as the males but a lot). But around the first of September (8months) he lost a lot of hair in about a week. Maybe he was shedding to get ready for winter coat? His hair now is most certainly not smooth but I'm just patiently/anxiously waiting to see if his mane will come in like his parents. To be honest I just like discussing BC's and to hear others people stories. So what's the story of your BC coat changes? Any pictures? Thank you

The first 3 are Yoti.

The next is one if the males, Rocket

The next is Yotis mama, Pandora

The last is one of the males, Titus

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

free image uploading

^

I was beginning to think no one would reply. Thank you.

Yeah, a half white half black face has to be marked correctly and Yoti has it. I love seeing the timelines from puppy to adult and watching the changes.

I'm really becoming quiet obsessed with border collies. I'm already wanting another but I'm keeping myself under control and telling myself no. Haha.

I trained Yoti to come, sit, lay, roll over, crawl, and a few others pretty early but now I've got a lot more free time and I'm starting to train him again. He's 9 moths old, so hopefully I didn't wait too long.

Chick-N-Picker, Gibbs will be 9 on Monday, and he gets new tricks introduced regularly. Takes him a bit longer to get them, but he still loves to learn.

Ruth and Gibbs

The good thing is I always did the old stuff stuff he kept up with that. So he knows what training is and it's not just a blank look.

A couple things I would like to work on is:

1. his jumping up on people

2. learning to stay in a specific place, even when I'm out of sight

& of course other new tricks, etc.

Wow. He ended up looking really good by age 3 and 5. Not that he looked bad at 1 but that's a big change.

Yeah, while his coat is a bit of a pain especially at coat blow time, I have to admit I swoon over his masculine adult look. Hes really quite a dork, and very soft (elderly female Papillon still scares she poop out of him sometimes) but at least he looks manly. :-D

Yeah, while his coat is a bit of a pain especially at coat blow time, I have to admit I swoon over his masculine adult look. Hes really quite a dork, and very soft (elderly female Papillon still scares she poop out of him sometimes) but at least he looks manly. :-D

Yeah I believe Yoti blew his coat in mid September. He used to have more hair on his back but it appears to slowly be coming back. I do hope he ends up with a nice mane but ill like him anyway. The worst part of it all is the waiting. The pictures don't show the wait of day in and day out haha.

What I've also found over the last few days is the hair growth and change may not even stop at 2 (like yours). I seen a thread from a few years ago where another member showed their split face BC from 1 year to 6 years and its was awesome.

What I've also found over the last few days is the hair growth and change may not even stop at 2 (like yours). I seen a thread from a few years ago where another member showed their split face BC from 1 year to 6 years and its was awesome.

Oh it hasn't stopped. He gets hairier every year. Especially his back half but his man mane is longer and the hair underneath is longer.