BC Boards

Confidence building

Hi. I'm new to this. My boy is 1and a half. He's really nervous around strangers and barks at them. He recently went to kennels and snapped at the lady a few times. We got him when he was 7 weeks old and never had any real issues. I was walking him one day and a woman accidentally hit him and the week after the vet scared him to. Since then if someone goes to smooth him he backs away but then snaps at them. Like a warning snap not actually trying to bite. I'm trying to build his confidence because I think this will help.

Best thing for his confidence in this situation is to NOT let people pet him for a while. Protect him from what he considers scary, and let him know you'll handle it so he doesn't have to.

Otherwise, general training of any sort in a variety of situations will help. Particularly if you eventually take that training around people and don't let them mess with him.

14SxNIacg1XHRxamZ3GIvV.jpg

This is a Julius IDC harness, with a patch from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STOP-NO-TOUCH-TALK-EYE-CONTACT-SERVICE-DOG-PATCH-2X4-INCH-Danny-LuAnns-Embroid-/381724199922?var=&hash=item58e0890bf2:m:mTSXkDYzmy4CrF4SA2EF_uA

Well, well, worth it. That and people who will allow the dog to approach and sniff without doing any of those things? Worth their weight in gold.

Honestly I think a lot of it is how comfortable and confident you are. He will pick up on that. If you are worried about him being around people and snapping the dogs know you are worried. They know you are worried about people when they approach so THAT MAKES THEM WORRY. It becomes rather self perpetuating.

If you act like it is no big deal they will relax but you have to take the leadership role and let them know you have it covered. I always verbally let my dogs know the behaviors that are acceptable and those that are not in every situation. They can be concerned or scared but still are aware that lunging and biting are not the thing to do.

I think having people around going about their day and ignoring the dog helps a bunch. I will tie them on a short lead where they can be a bit away from the action but can not go hide or lunge. As they see it is not a big deal I move them closer and ignore them as much as I can. Really does not take long, they figure it out.

Might ask your vet office if you can walk him through several times a week and just in the waiting room with him for 15 min. Most will say yes. It is great for them just to be around people and learn to be calm then maybe one person approach talk to you and walk away. Just do little normal things gradually to show him he does not have to worried.

Does he warm up to people after a while of them ignoring him or with treats?

To be clear I completely agree with all the above advice, do not have people approach or pet him, he needs to feel safe with you and around people before any progress can be made... I just was curious to what extent his fear of people goes.

Have you done any group classes with him yet? The more time he spends around people that don't come into his bubble and focus training you do in their presence the more he will trust them and you. Classes are perfect for this but anywhere there are people that will ignore him works.

Purposely ignore all people also so they know you are not looking to interact. If he is good up until the point of them actually petting him, train him to always sit when you are talking to a stranger and to not leave the sit to investigate/sniff.... Unfortunately people will always think a dog approaching is happy to be pet, even if you tell them otherwise... Since we can't train people we must train our dogs. They are much more willing to believe you if he is sitting ignoring them and not approaching.

Eventually he may begin to trust you and strangers enough to be pet, but he may never be that confident, but the more training you do and the more you build the bond the more confident he will become, so there is hope!

Just please don't try to force him to be a dog he isn't, and love him for what he is. And like another poster said the more you worry the more he worries, the more confident you are the more confident he is. . . It is very true!

One thing that can be helpful is to teach a dog to nose touch another person's hand. You would want to start with nose touching your hand, then touching the hand of a person that he or she already trusts, and then moving to trying it with others, listening carefully if the dog is not ready (shows reluctance or fear).

Even my Tessa, who will not allow strangers to pet her, will nose touch their hands if I ask her to.

From there, with a normal dog, you could work on building that as an invitation to pet.

I would take it slow, and listen to the dog. If he or she is not comfortable, often the best thing you can do is move away and let your dog know you aren't going to force the issue. It's a bit of reverse psychology but it often helps build confidence.

great confidence builder is a night away from home with the dog. Motel, not friends.

Great idea!

But also keep in mind that (1) genetic fearfulness often comes out at around two (2) if fearful behavior seems odd it might be a good idea to check the dog's thyroid.

Maja

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of your replies. He's is brilliant with people that he knows. I can touch him anywhere. The lady next door can pet him and he's fine. He wants to go up to people but snaps as soon as they go to touch him. I've not been letting him go up to people or he's had a muzzle on ( just incase) But he does not seem to be getting anywhere. I'm well prepared to have a dog that doesn't like people and I love him to bits. So I'm in this for the long hall.

TELL PEOPLE NOT TO TOUCH HIM. DO NOT LET PEOPLE TOUCH HIM, MUZZLE OR NOT. The desire to go investigate is great, but it needs to STAY SAFE for him. Safe for him means HE DOES NOT GET TOUCHED. NO TOUCHING ATTEMPTS. EVER. FOR MONTHS. From ANYONE he does not already know or like.

ETA: Not yelling, but emphasis, but seriously. Don't let people touch him. Don't let people try to touch him. Even if he goes up to them. Even if he flops on their feet. He doesn't like that. Don't let them do it. Stop reinforcing that they are scary to him because they try. Protect your dog. Stop trying to make him do a thing he finds unpleasant (which is be touched). Allow him to gain confidence that being around people will not led to them trying to pet him.

^^^ This. Gibbs doesn't have to get attention from anyone. He does make friends, especially with people who take him for walks.

But the random stranger, however well-intentioned, no. It's not necessary, he's got a pretty darn active social life as it is, and I never want him in a situation where he feels he needs to bite. Not worth it to me.

Ruth and Gibbs

I never let random strangers touch Tess. Although she's quite confident, she dislikes her space being invaded by people she doesn't know, and will show teeth if necessary. So I don't allow it, and will step in front of her to block people if needed.

She's not timid or overly insecure and there's people she loves on the spot. When we're with dog saavy people, she will go ask for petting and usually loves everybody. But she hates complete strangers who know zip about dogs looming over her with hands outstretched. If she was shy and fearfull, as your dog seems to be, I would be even more carefull about interactions with strangers.

I must come out as mean sometimes. I tell kids who want to pet her, No, she doesn't like kids. Some people look a bit rufled, but I couldn't care less.

I've been firm with people who want to say hello to him or I've make it clear I don't want to be spoken to. No one gets near him without my permission. Even my mum dad and sister wait till he goes to them. I'm not reinforcing anything !!! He does not want to be touched which is fine by me !!! I don't try to get people to touch him !!! I just want a happy dog.

I'm sorry.

He wants to go up to people but snaps as soon as they go to touch him.

This led me to think that people had the opportunity to at least try to touch him.

Or

I've not been letting him go up to people or he's had a muzzle on

Emphasis on or. Meaning he could go up to people wearing a muzzle.

Those two things combined left me with the impression you let him go up to people and pepole try to touch him when he was muzzled. That was what I was responding to. Muzzle or no, people shouldn't have the opportunity to make contact or try. That's all I meant. I'm sorry I misunderstood, though I'm a bit confused by when and how he's 'trying' to snap at people when they try to touch him if you're not letting people try to touch him.

Thanks for all of your replies. He's is brilliant with people that he knows. I can touch him anywhere. The lady next door can pet him and he's fine. He wants to go up to people but snaps as soon as they go to touch him. I've not been letting him go up to people or he's had a muzzle on ( just incase) But he does not seem to be getting anywhere. I'm well prepared to have a dog that doesn't like people and I love him to bits. So I'm in this for the long hall.

Gabe is pretty similar in this way. With people he knows, he's incredibly affectionate, snuggly even. With new people, he starts out aggressively barking, and eventually gets curious and goes up to people in this kind of conflicted wants to meet them/is terrified of them way. I work with him a lot on staying calm away from people, and not doing things that invite pets/attention/things I know make him uncomfortable. As he gets more comfortable, we work on people throwing treats to him, or throwing a ball for him that he brings back to me and I pass along to the new person to throw.