BC Boards

Odin and I start up again

Ooky

Odin's last lesson was in late January. We finally got back on the horse, although I didn't go to a lesson for our first time back. Instead, I went to a place where I could just work with him. Although Odin's been on sheep more, I've only worked him myself (without any help) about 5 times).

Sadly, all the sitting around with a pregnant lady and then a baby has allowed his feet to get really soft. At about 4:00 in this video, he ripped off 3 pads and could barely walk for 3 days :rolleyes:

He takes verbal flank commands well, still. He is EXTREMELY excited in this video (who can blame him? he thought he was never going to get to do this again). I am working him on just gathering, pace, and small outruns, a couple off-balance flanks. Mostly, I'm trying to shut up and let him work as long as he didn't try anything too crazy. These sheep see a lot of beginner dogs, and want to run away, past the handler to the fence. The are pretty flighty but a bit overdogged.

Any comments/critiques appreciated!

No critiques, 'cuz I don't know fer nuttin', but it sure looked like he was relishing his time at once more getting a chance to do what he was born to do. Good for you at getting on that horse so soon! And was that Odin's sister I heard cheering him on?

Poor guy, I hope his pads are better now!

I am not experienced, but he seems to keep nice distance, and seems to be enthusiastic, but he appears to prefer the 'away' side. He often circles you in front o away, but not o comeby. I think it would be helpful to encourage him to go on come by. You can count the times he goes in each direction and you will see that he prefers the one.

Best wishes,

Maja

Thanks for watching, all who did! :rolleyes:

@ Alchemist - yes that is his little sister! She did so well. DH said it was so cool because for the first time since she was born I didn't focus on her, just Odin. I fed her in between runs and she did great.

@Maja - that is so interesting, but watching the video you are right. What is weird is that he has ALWAYS been a "come-by dog" - and tends to slice or sometimes hesitate on the away side. In this video I was consciously giving him more "away" commands but at the same time it doesn't explain the switch. I'll have to watch carefully next time to see if he was more comfy going away because of some reason like he tore one of his pads even earlier than I realized, or if he is switching his comfort sides.

@Sue - thank you! I was so happy to be out there with him. We love so much to do this together, and even though I really don't know what I;m doing he does try so hard for me, even after months and months.

@ Jodi - We were at Joyce Shephard's in Santa Rosa. I don't normally go there, but 1) Derek Fisher stopped giving lessons regularly at Willowside, and Suzy Applegate is too far away to go regularly, and 2) I moved while on hiatus so that I need to find a new regular lesson person. Joyce is such a wonderful person and has been very sweet to Odin as he and I work out the very beginner's of beginner's kinks on her sheep (as in, brand-new handler crazies), so my DH pushed for me to start up with her again as it is a very low stress atmosphere, and we were headed that way for a vacation anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived