BC Boards

"Play Dead" - my 8-month old trained by my 10-year-old

I should clarify the title, my 10-yr-old daughter trained my 8-month old BC in this trick. It's taken a good, long while, but he's finally got it! She worked hard in anticipation of all my family coming over tonight for a birthday party so she could show them this. :)

One question I did have... This lazy attitude is what he is always like when training. I don't get the super-excited, respond-super-quick like a lot of BCs. I feel like we're never going to get "crisp" precision in any of his commands, he seems to do the bare minimum, and slowly!!

Only reward the "crisp" quick responses you want and don't reward the slow, lazy ones.

Yes, that's what I try to do, but they are so few and far between that he gets frustrated not getting any rewards for doing the commands! So then he quits. ;) He has never been particularly "rushed' or "fast" at anything except chasing/running/herding type of behaviors.

What I've found out helps to speed them up is try to show treats before meals (and treat with food they'd get anyway as a meal), if he get's excited about food use it to your advance. You have to get him really interested and then heavily reward for speed and precision.
Some dogs are more mellow than others, and taking away reward in general for slow trick execution may confuse and frustrate them, so be objective on what you except. If he doesn't want to do it faster, he doesn't.

One question I did have... This lazy attitude is what he is always like when training. I don't get the super-excited, respond-super-quick like a lot of BCs. I feel like we're never going to get "crisp" precision in any of his commands, he seems to do the bare minimum, and slowly!!

As has already been mentioned, the crisp behaviours are built through maintaining crispness as a criterion. Training with toys also helps build speed and intensity. Food tends to have the opposite effect and creates a calmed reaction (we sometimes call it a cookie coma). Play games that incorporate lots of engagement and self control to really hone those snappy behaviours.

Also keep in mind your pup is still just a pup. From what I see in the video (watched without sound) your pup's responses seem perfectly adequate.

My goodness... others may disagree but I feel like your pup is responding very well in this video. He seems to be performing the trick in a very timely manner!

I just want to give you a perspective from the other side of the fence. I have a dog who is, as you described - "super-excited, responds-super-quick". When trick training, he'll actually work so quickly that he'll frustrate himself in a matter of seconds. It's gotten to the point that I've stopped formal trick training lessons with him all together, it's just no fun for either of us. What I've turned to instead is "shaping" tricks (so when he bows on his own I say "Good Bow!". With enough repetition he starts to figure out what "Bow" means). It's not as fun but it keeps his little brain working without stressing him out to no end.

Your dog might be performing in a "lazy" way... but he also might just be thoughtful. Learning a complex trick like the one you showed us at the age of 8 months with a young trainer is pretty impressive, IMO. Sure, you might try getting him more jazzed up with toys or play but just be careful what you wish for. An overly excited dog is rarely a focused dog. :)

BTW, I love this video. That's a great trick!!! Mega-Kudos to your daughter for teaching it to him!!!!

That's awesome that your daughter trained him! Awesome video! :)

Love your border collie he is handsome!

I feel your pain our Effie is slow when she does tricks and ignores us when she doesn't want to do them. She's a stubborn little thing sometimes so we are trying to find a good trainer to help us with that.