BC Boards

Does your Border Collie talk to you?

I have this thing I do with Scooter. I put my forehead next to his and talk in a soft, cooing voice, saying things like, "Aww..tell me all about it", and he responds with a sound, almost like purring. I say something, he growls/purrs back. Hard to describe exactly. Anybody? :rolleyes:

That sounds so sweet. :rolleyes:

We don't have anything as intimate as that but Lewie is a talker. Even his day-care provider has commented on it.

My golden mix would do a doggie purr. Very endearing.

Taj is very vocal (and I don't just mean barking;), he has a range of different 'word sounds' that mean different things, and something similar to what scooter does, sort of a cross between a whine/bur/growl and definitely in response to being talked to in a special way.

Trinity on the other hand is not vocal at all, unless she is playing with the cat.

Michelle

It was something that endeared Kip to me from the moment we met in the meet-n-greet room at the pound. :rolleyes:

The pound worker brought him in on a slip lead, and he wagged right up to us, smiling and wiggling...then proceeded to pull out all his tricks, as if he knew he should try to make a good impression. I told him "sit" and "lie down" and so on, and he did whatever he was asked. For kicks, I told him to "speak"...and, evidently, whoever had been his human before, had taught him to speak on command. He varies his voice by however loud the command is given. And, if you come up and greet him and just say, "What? What's up, Kip?", he "talks" in a little, soft, growly vocalization. He also "talks" when he wants a particularly yummy treat. We are working on differentiating "speak" and "sing".

I know exactly just what you mean. Poppy and I are like that too. We talk to each other alot!

Especially during hugs and petting sessions. :rolleyes:

We had taught our old dog Bandit (R.I.P) to speak on command and then she decided that speaking was a good way to get our attention (the worse thing we ever taught her). So to counter act it we taught her to wisper. She would move her mouth like she was barking but no noise would come out.

This worked very well, every time she would get bossy and start barking at us we would put a finger to our mouths and say shhh! Whisper!

he responds with a sound, almost like purring. I say something, he growls/purrs back. Hard to describe exactly.

That sounds beyond endearing. My Lhasa is the talker - lots of growls, yowls, grumbles, and complaints. Kinda like a 10 inch Chewbacca at times. However, Quinn does have what I call his happy howl he does when he's excited about something like going out to play or his dinner. I've tried to "capture" the howl to put it on cue but Quinn gives me this look like "You just don't get it, do you?" Apparently his happy howl must come from the soul and can not be reproduced on demand. :rolleyes:

Gypsy definitely vocalizes (apart from her hyper barking ) that is . If any of the family has been out for a few hours we get a growly "Hoolwoo" when we get back, it almost sounds like Hello ,I wish I could get it on command .She also has a range of special noises reserved espescially for cuddles and belly rubs.When I was a teenager , my sister had a BCxspainel who I swearcould say about 6 different "words" she was very special.

I've had dogs who vocalized a lot. My Buddy doesn't do it so much, but he definitely knows how to respond correctly to certain phrases. When he's agitated and asking for something, I ask him questions: "Is it Lily?" "Do you want to go out?" "Is it a kitty?" He'll stare at me as if I'm moron until I hit on the thing he wants, and then he'll let out a gigantic, affirmative BARK! :rolleyes:

Mary

We had a foster dog who would greet us every morning with a Wooo-Wooo. We never encouraged it but it was kind of cute.

mobcmom

We have a Woo Wooer also but she varies it quite a bit. Usually most vocal in the morning when she gets up.

I have this thing I do with Scooter. I put my forehead next to his and talk in a soft, cooing voice, saying things like, "Aww..tell me all about it", and he responds with a sound, almost like purring. I say something, he growls/purrs back. Hard to describe exactly. Anybody? :D

Taz does this, too. Exactly. We have entire conversations, and when he's in that mode (usually at night before bed) every time I talk, he answers. It's one of the things I love best about him :rolleyes:

Ed has a funny way of communicating. When you walk in the door he does a kinda yowl..? That's the best way I can describe it! He also has varying noises from 'moaning' when you wont/cant play to happy noises when he's having a fuss. He communicates a lot with his facial/bodily expressions. His 'grin' is the funniest thing though...it's sooooooocute! :rolleyes:

Mary,

Was that you laughing in the video(s)? If so, I really enjoyed that aspect of the videos - you seem to really enjoy the dogs . . .

In response to the OP, this is an aspect of the border collie that I really enjoy. All my guys vocalize. Gren will "oof", Yeats "woo woos" and PeeWee and Zoe "talk" (a combination of barks and other vocalizations, along with meaningful looks). I'm so happy that the puppy now is "woo wooing" when excited.

Kim

My little Koda is also very vocal. He has learned to vocalize differently for different situations such as needing to go out, hey Im down here, a huffy breathy sound like hes barking in a whisper for throw the ball (we call it his inside voice for barking), grunts, his excited "hoo hoo hoo", ect... None of them is a bark or anoying (thank god) as he seems like he always has something to say...including his mild excited rowrowrow when I play guitar.

But best of all is the reason I call him Koda Coyote! He has been doing this one since shortly after brining the little critter home and its the cutest thing. Im trying to get him to relate "Koda Coyote!!!" to get it on cue. Here is a video of it but keep in mind that this is a pretty mild example of it as its normally much longer in duration. Its never a specific time that he does it that I can figure out but I got lucky to get one on video while messing around with my carmera - yes the cue was way too late but I was laughing. The best part is his head going straight up like a coyote too:

Ryan

My little Koda is also very vocal. He has learned to vocalize differently for different situations such as needing to go out, hey Im down here, a huffy breathy sound like hes barking in a whisper for throw the ball (we call it his inside voice for barking), grunts, his excited "hoo hoo hoo", ect... None of them is a bark or anoying (thank god) as he seems like he always has something to say...including his mild excited rowrowrow when I play guitar.

But best of all is the reason I call him Koda Coyote! He has been doing this one since shortly after brining the little critter home and its the cutest thing. Im trying to get him to relate "Koda Coyote!!!" to get it on cue. Here is a video of it but keep in mind that this is a pretty mild example of it as its normally much longer in duration. Its never a specific time that he does it that I can figure out but I got lucky to get one on video while messing around with my carmera - yes the cue was way too late but I was laughing. The best part is his head going straight up like a coyote too:

Ryan

LOL! Aren't they fun?!! My sister-in-law has taught her Aussie to say "Out". We tried it with Scooter and he did it a couple of times, but he didn't seem to like doing it--almost like it hurt his throat, or brought out some wolf like instinctual behavior, as he'd throw his head back and howl. He just reacted very strangely to it. We don't encourage him to do it any more.

LOL! Aren't they fun?!!

You bet! Koda is cracking me up this morning again. I played the video for him after reading your comment, pointing to the screen to get his attention and saying, "Look, its YOU!" - he was up on the chair arm getting his daily ear scratches :rolleyes: He started walking in place in the excited stance (like he wants to jump up) while whining at the screen as he watched himself. His tail was going 90 miles an hour with a huge smile on his face. Funny, I just KNOW he knows its himself and he's trying to figure out how he got in there...LOL. I played the video several times and the reaction was the same. Such a goofy and fun pooch!

Ryan

You bet! Koda is cracking me up this morning again. I played the video for him after reading your comment, pointing to the screen to get his attention and saying, "Look, its YOU!" - he was up on the chair arm getting his daily ear scratches :rolleyes: He started walking in place in the excited stance (like he wants to jump up) while whining at the screen as he watched himself. His tail was going 90 miles an hour with a huge smile on his face. Funny, I just KNOW he knows its himself and he's trying to figure out how he got in there...LOL. I played the video several times and the reaction was the same. Such a goofy and fun pooch!

Ryan

I have not wanted to admit this, I think I am the proud father of a big tough dog but my alpha dog watches tv. He loves hockey, he loves commercials, he loves any show with animals especially rodeo and he loves to watch Alvin Kopp training tapes, he goes nuts when he sees them. It is very common for him to sit or lay in front of the tv for half the evening when we are not working. He has seen videos of himself working and he gets very excited but I am not certain he is self aware. I have been told not to let him watch tv but I have not been able to determine any ill effects from doing so. He also talks, sort of. This is a big BC, well over 50 pounds. He works sheep, cows, bulls, geese and even Elk and is great in the chutes and is more than willing to go in. He is one of the toughest BC's I have ever seen. Every once in a while he will come to me if I am sitting on the couch. He will jump up, snuggle in beside me and make these strange sounds like soft snuffing or something. I have often thought that a picture of this would be great but I have his reputation to consider and if this ever got out with the other dogs it would be a scandal.

I have often thought that a picture of this would be great but I have his reputation to consider and if this ever got out with the other dogs it would be a scandal.

<Logs on to the ABCA website>

Whats it worth to you to keep this quiet? :rolleyes:

Ryan

All of our dogs are taught not to bark unless there is something to bark at, coyotes, badgers, strangers in the yard etc. Otherwise they are very quiet.

BUT, when we drive in the driveway, we are greeted with 7 dogs howling like wolves they are so happy to see we came home again. We can be gone 2 minutes over to the neighbors and the excitement level is still the same as if we had been gone for days. Its soooooo nice to know they are so very glad we are home. Oh sure we yell quiet at them, but secretly its nice to know we are so well loved!

Out of all our borders the deaf one is the most "talkative" I swear he says "hello", it sure sounds like it. My two brother dogs both "talk" especially when I am deciding who to take out to work. They don't bark, they just make the Yow, yow sounds border collies love to get your attention with.

They are all such good dogs, I just love them!

Lisa H

<Logs on to the ABCA website>

Whats it worth to you to keep this quiet? :rolleyes:

Ryan

Careful, he has a great grip and no respect for money, he uses my money. BC's are fun and one needs a sense of houmour, Thanks.

Dave

Jackson is extremely vocal. He howls, yodels, does that growling thing. my DH likes to listen to the radio when doing the dishes. Jackson LOVES music and likes to howl when we sing to the radio. Jackson will sit there and just cock his head back and forth until DH finds a song on his ipod that strikes his fancy and he starts to sing. So cute.

We taught him the difference between speak (bark) and howling (sing). I can wake him up from a sound sleep with the work sing lol.

I have a little video of his pipes. He was just laying on his bed and let loose :rolleyes:

I have this thing I do with Scooter. I put my forehead next to his and talk in a soft, cooing voice, saying things like, "Aww..tell me all about it", and he responds with a sound, almost like purring. I say something, he growls/purrs back. Hard to describe exactly. Anybody? :rolleyes:

I have a PROBLEM with Mango barking profusely at my ceiling fan - before I go into details - anybody up for a challenge on helping decipher her behaviour...?