BC Boards

Raw Question: Turkey Leg?

*don't listen to me alone because I am still learning too! But here is what I think*

The whole premise of raw feeding is really by feeding RMB - raw meaty BONES. Has she not had any bones yet? Uncooked bones will not splinter, and also don't break teeth - I know because Dazzle has been eating bones and still has all of her chompers. Cooked bones, or old, dried out bones can be bad - but raw juicy, meaty ones are good.

Dazzle (and the shih tzus too!) have been eating chicken feet/necks/backs/thighs (beef too, but no bones on them 'cause I read they are harder - well, yeah, they are not bird bones - and worry about the little dogs). Currently I feed them all one at a time and watch carefully (and for Dazzle, remind her to chew). They crunch the bones into nice little pieces and it is not splintering. I don't know if it is the bones or even just the meat, but Dazzle's teeth are almost back to their puppy-white!

So, YES feed bones!

I've said this before, but whenever I have a question about a new raw food, I just do a search on the yahoo rawfeeding group and invariably find good information.

Unlike the smaller chicken bones, turkey leg bones seem to shatter into sharp pieces. I was pretty worried watching my two eat them the first time, and I quickly gathered up all the sharp pieces after the meal and disposed of them in case the dogs might decide to snack on them later. Then I went to rawfeeding and learned that yes, turkey leg bones can be problematic in that way. Some dogs eat them safely and some don't. I decided to consider my dogs to fall into the second category, so no more turkey drumsticks for us.

Now I check rawfeeding before trying anything new, just so I'm informed.

BTW, turkey backs have not been a problem for us (other than not being very meaty), and ground turkey rolls have become a staple.

Ok I'll probably stay away. I did do a message on rawfeeding groups and no one answered. My email was signed "David and Donna Martinez" -- I also did a search and didnt find the answer I was wanting.... of course I grow impatient easily and didnt look at all the jillion pages LOL.

I'll feed turkey necks, but the bones on the rest of the bird make me uncomfortable, so I stay away from the legs. The prices might be good sometimes, but it's not worth the risk. I don't know if the way turkey bones break apart are normal for a turkey or if it's what they are fed to promote rapid growth. Whatever the reason is, I'd stay away.

Yeah, I don't like turkey bones either. Turkey necks provide some variety every so often but they are extremely lean, not so great for my crew.

I did a crockpot recipe with a turkey carcass once (you crockpot until the bone are mushy) and it took over two days until the bones were safe to feed. It takes about twenty four hours or less for chicken bones.

You really want to stay away from the weight bearing bones of the larger animals - turkeys can get up to 30 lbs - unless you are using them for recreational bones. You can feed frames chicken or turkey with no problem but a turkey frame is alot for one dog, frames have wings and legs removed. You can use beef knuckle bones for recreational chewing they are excellent for teeth cleaning and can almost be completely consumed. I pick them up when they get too small. Im paranoid about choking.

If I have to feed turkey, I stick with necks, organs, wings, and backs. NEVER EVER drumsticks. unless I cook the meat and pull it off and discard the bone.

I know...animals in the wild would it eat it, but this is one of few things I am too paranoid about.

Actually, I never to that cooking the leg thing. I only slightly cook stuff like liver that Joy's not used to, but other than that, it's really raw, but...

I've been considering more and more starting Tiga on a raw diet. For those that are doing it, do you find it more expensive? We have to start on more of a budget since my SO is going back to school in the fall. I'm also a little concerned because Tiga has a pretty sensitive stomach. Now that we've had his allergies tested, I know he's not allergic to chicken or beef but he is allergic to fish. I am too, so we fit quite well. :rolleyes: I've been reading through the websites people have posted. I'm also a bit concerned because Tiga is a very fast eater. He doesn't like to chew things, he prefers to just swallow. I'm concerned about him choking on bones and stuff. Sorry to post all my questions in your thread Donna but I know that you're fairly new at this too and I didn't want to start another thread about raw.

There are some major differences between turkeys and chickens. The size is obvious: chances are that if a turkey was fabricated into sub-carcass cuts (legs, wings, breast, etc.) it was too big to sell whole. Which means its dressed weight was greater than 25 lbs. A big chicken is a third that size.

Also, chickens are usually slaughtered at about six to 10 weeks of age. Turkeys are five to six months.

So it stands to reason that their bones would be tougher than chicken bones.

I have one dog that can crunch through a turkey drumstick with no ill effects, but I wouldn't try it with the others.

I don't feed turkey drumsticks unless it's to the puppy, who just picks off all the meat and leaves the heavy bone. I don't like the bones, they're very very dense and Dakota will crunch down on it, but it breaks into shards instead of bits like chicken bones do. Dakota doesn't chew once he initially breaks the bones, which is why I don't feed these. If Riven chews very carefully she should be okay, but I personally think things like turkey necks and backs, pork necks etc are a better way to go for a dog that is new to raw.

Riven doesnt gulp but she doesnt chew carefully either. Sounds like they wouldnt be a super idea for her then

Tammy - This raw diet is so flippin easy and a lot cheaper. We buy Riven like 3 chickens every 2 weeks. I cut 1 chicken into 5 pieces (2 leg quarters, 1 back, 2 breast/wing quarters) and feed 1 quarter a day. On the day I feed the back, I throw in heart for meat and livers/kidneys/whatever else for organs. I buy organs at a local grocery store, but you can get some online (I hear) and in various other places. This diet is so easy and so cheap. Im sure there are gonna be changes as we go on and I tweak it to fit Riven, but really it is cheap and easy.

Sounds pretty simple. Do you just feed once/day? When do you feed, in the morning or evening? Did you put her on it gradually? Does she seemto be full from it? Is that all you give her is raw chicken? Sorry for all the questions. lol.

I fed kibble one day, raw the next lol. I feed her once a day. Anywhere from 5pm to 8pm. I dont want her to anticipate when she gets fed. She does seem full actually. I also feed her whatever raw Rohan has left over, or if Im cooking I throw her some scraps or whatever. If I have some cooked meat left on a plate, I give her a *little* of it. But that is rare. No problem with the questions!! I had a zillion too.

ETA: I feed her chicken all week. On chicken back day I give her pork or lamb organs and some chicken livers. I also feed pork and beef hearts for variety like once a week with the backs.

I spend about 80 dollars for feedin 37 pound Joy and 15 pound Genghis (cat) for about 3 months. To me, that's a LOT cheaper than EVO for both of them.

This is my shopping list:

10 packages of chicken quarters (5 each)

4 whole chickens*

4 packages of lamb heart (16 total)

3 beef liver*

2 beef hearts*

4 packages kidney (16 total)

7 whole rabbits*

1 pound chicken livers

10 beef neck bones, sliced*

40 chicken feet*

All the meats with * means I get them wholesale from the butcher's raw feeding co-op.

Sorry, but I have more questions. Is that all you feed is chicken? Nothing else to supplement? Will he get everything that he needs just from chicken? Should I hand feed him the first couple of times to make sure he's doesn't try to inhale the food? I have a feeling that he will try. Do you feed the skin on the chicken too? What else is good besides chicken? Or do I just start with chicken and switch to other things after? I'm just kind of finding all of the websites that I've looked over a bit overwhelming. I'm wondering if there is a place that's like "raw feeding for dummies" LOL! Thanks for you patience. I've pretty much convince my SO that's it's a good idea, so we'd like to give it a try when I get home. Another concern is what about when we're travelling? do we bring the raw meet with us? Or do you keep kibble in the house too as a back up?

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

These are the best I've found. I feed only chicken for main raw meaty bones. For organs I feed livers, kidney ect. I also toss heart in there about once a week(beef or pork).

I do leave skin on, you can take it off. I think skin can cause loose stools if they get too much too fast. I do not have any kibble, I'll feed raw as I travel.

Start with chicken first. It is easy and more gentle. After 2 weeks or so you can switch to or throw in other meats.... at least thats the advice I was given

Needless to say, care needs to be taken when considering raw poultry. The feeding of raw turkey (or other uncooked meat) could potentially cause problems for dogs, especially if the meat is contaminated with harmful parasites or bacteria, such as certain strains of E. coli or Salmonella. Also, turkey skin is thought by some to cause acute pancreatis in dogs. The ASPCA suggests that you talk with your veterinarian in order to determine the most appropriate nutritional program for your pet.