BC Boards

can teething make a dog sick??

just wondering how many peoples pups got ill when they were teething. what type of pain meds you used etc. etc. i have given pepto bismol for his tummy, and ice, and he has resumed eating (soft foods). yes he has been treated for worms and will be again in jan. at his checkup as preventative care, so i know that isnt the cause. yes, he does have 3 teeth that i can see that are sore and will lose them soon. so just wondering what other people went through when their pups were teething like this. as i have read NO, its not normal for your dog to get sick while teething, and i have heard yes, my dog did. i figured if my kids got sick when they were teething it would only seem logical for a dog too. thanks for your comments!!

Yes I have had a pup that has been sick before teething an would actually whimp some and especially if start to handle him, and I took him to the vet and she pulled the loose tooth and he was a 100 percent better by the next day.

Steve

Steve, thanks, never thought of having the vet pull them!! duh!! i am on hold with the vet now. will schedule something asap. i called our normal vet already and he doesnt provide this service---argh!!! will post again soon.

ok just got off the phone with the new vet, and the office said i was doing the right thing, and made him an appt. they said that they dont usually get that sick from teething, i then said its his front ones, they said oooohhhh. luckily he hasnt lost that much weight from it, so we are going to give him a day to see if he improves, if not i go in, if he is better i cancel his appt. per vets advice. i am taking him anyways just to be on the safe side.

Ok I am glad you talked to your vet on it, I never dreamed it would make such a difference but when the vet pulled the tooth he was so much better the next day and actually the night I brought him home he was, my vet gave me pain medication I could give him but I didn't even have to give it to him he was so much better.

Steve