BC Boards

BC on a chain. . .

What would you do if you knew of a BC mix that was kept on a chain 24/7? There is a house on my route that has a small female about 30lbs. that reminds me of Margret's Gail. She's a mix, but the first time I saw her, she had gotten off the chain and she ran out towards my car, put her little ears back and then the butt started wiggling. That was in the the spring. She has spent the entire summer outside on that chain and her coat is in horrible condition. She wouldnt let me touch her, but I didnt see any obvious signs of agression. I just wonder what being on that chain all the time has done to her mind.

100_2025.jpg100_2022.jpg

I think about her all the time and have considered speaking with the owners about her. But how many people would say "Yea, go ahead take my dog". Its just so sad.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you'll never know what they'll say unless you ask. She's cute. Does the other dog also live there? It doesn't appear to be chained, so I suppose it's possible the little dog won't stay home unless tied (not that it's necessarily right, but the owners may have a reason for it).

J.

The other dog in the background is on a runner. If you look closely you can see the line he's hooked to. She booked when she got off the chain that time, so I assume they just never bothered to train her and just put her on a chain to keep her from running off, but like you said, that doesnt make it right.

Wow -she sure does look alot like Gael! Are you sure she's on it 24/7 - I wonder if they take her in when home? If I knew she were, I'd try to start a conversation with the owners to find out more about her. Too bad she doesn't break free again so you'd have a reason to knock on the door.

I have delivered certifieds to them before when there was someone home and she was always on the chain. The only person I have seen at the house is a young guy (I think he is the owner's son) who doesnt seem to be all there if you know what I mean. She looked so much better in the spring. You can tell by looking at her that she has spent a lot of time out there on that chain.

This is always a touchy subject because we find it hard to impose our personal standards and morals on others, especially if we don't have enough data to come to a "reasonable" conclusion.

An example: We have some "friends" that threatened to call animal control on us because we weren't cleaning our outside bird cages to their satisfaction, even though we regularly clean them thoroughly. These "friends" only had part of the picture, and it was that the cages were pretty messy a lot of the time. They didn't realize that after only about two days, a bird's cage is gonna look like it's never been cleaned before. Anyhow, my point is that the data that our "friends" had was incomplete, and their standards are different than ours. Our birds aren't sick, none of them have died, and overall they're really really happy little things!

My point is that there has to be an objective standard for animal treatment.

The standard is this: Is the animal happy and healthy? If the answer is "yes", then leave everything alone, even though it's hard on you personally (and me, too) to see a dog tied up 24/7. If the answer is "no", then action must be taken.

What action? Well, I'm trying to put myself into your shoes. If I had a neighbor whos dog was always tied up and very obviously not happy or healthy, I'd talk to the neighbor first. I'd explain how much I love dogs and how it seems as though this dog isn't looking too happy or healthy. Personally, I don't have the time or energy to take in another dog right now -- or even time to walk another dog -- so I'd suggest that they try to find him/her a new home or at least someone to give the dog a good walk every day. If I get good vibes from the neighbor, I might get into preaching mode and tell them how much energy BCs have and how important it is for them to have some kind of outlet -- be it a long walk every day or whatever else I can think of. Since it looks like from your pictures that there's another dog running loose, maybe they're just not aware of some basic BC facts? I can totally understand this because just 30 days ago I wasn't aware of basic BC (and dog in general) facts!!!!!

If I don't get good vibes or if nothing I say helps them to reconsider and do things differently, then the only other outlet would be animal control, the humane society, or a private organization/group that can take the dog away.

Even though it's probably illegal, I'd even advocate "stealing" the dog when the owners aren't there. Some good friends of ours did this at a puppy farm not far from us. Snuck 80+ very neglected and very sick dogs outta there in one night!

IMM

:rolleyes::D

I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind. I dont think I could really do that with a clear conscience.

But I dont have any idea what kind of issues I would be dealing with though. I have no idea if she would even be adoptable.

As for animal control, she has shelter and im sure they feed her, so as far as animal control is concerned, she is cared for.

First, have a plan for where you'd take the dog if you can talk the owners into releasing her to you.

Then, talk to the owners. It's important not to come across as judgmental, and to emphasize that you understand they care about the dog and want the best for her. Tell them you realize they're going through a hard time right now or you understand how they're are really busy and don't have the time they'd like to have to train her or whatever seems appropriate.

Then tell them you'd like to help them and the dog. Describe the home the dog will be going to, or describe the care the rescue would give her, or whatever applies.

Sometimes it takes persistence, and you may have to talk to them more than once - so try to keep on good terms even if they initially refuse to release the dog to you.

I'm glad you're not planning on spiriting her away. I know it's tempting - believe me, I know it's tempting. But most rescues, if you're going that route, are going to want paperwork from the owner releasing her to them. Rescues have gotten into hot water for receiving stolen dogs, and you don't want to put yourself or anyone else in that position. Seriously.

I'm not sure about animal control. Some communities do have laws against chaining an animal. But if the dog shows temperament problems or is HW positive or otherwise ill, she may wind up being put down instead of put up for adoption if they seize her.

And good for you for doing something about this! If people refused to accept dogs being chained to trees in their communities, the practice would stop.

Edited to add: She may have problems from being chained or she may not. I tried, and unfortunately failed, to rescue a young male in just this kind of situation. Except instead of having a doghouse, his shelter was under a junked pickup. Sigh. Anyway, that fellow was just as sweet as he could be - although hyper and clingy, bless his heart.

Thanks Sally, but I havent done anything yet. I have thought about it, but I havent taken any kind of action. Lord knows I dont have the capabilites to rehabilitate a chained dog. Not with my schedule, a six yr. old, and a dh that would FREAK if I brought another dog home.

If I could speak with the owner, I guess that would be the place to start. But there is my job to think about as well. The last thing I need is to have somone calling the office saying that I am harassing them about their dog.

Originally posted by prosperia:

Lord knows I dont have the capabilites to rehabilitate a chained dog. Not with my schedule, a six yr. old, and a dh that would FREAK if I brought another dog home.

If I could speak with the owner, I guess that would be the place to start. But there is my job to think about as well. The last thing I need is to have somone calling the office saying that I am harassing them about their dog.

I know where you're coming from. I can't foster a dog *and* stay happily married, so my work with our rescue mostly consists of finding dogs in need and hooking them up with foster homes elsewhere.

Have you talked to your local BC rescue? That's actually how I got involved with my rescue to start with - I called to find out if anyone could foster the chained dog in my neighborhood.

A rescue volunteer could also be the one to talk to the family. S/he could just pretend s/he noticed the dog while passing the house, and they'd never know the situation began with you.

Originally posted by prosperia:

I suggest that you speak to the owner on your own time (and out of uniform) rather than on work time. That way, even if the owner complains to your office, you can counter with the fact that you were doing this on your own time and on your own behalf.

I also agree with painted_ponies -- make sure to have a plan before you take any action. Complaining about something without having a solution doesn't give you a leg to stand on.

BTW -- she's a beautiful dog! And wow what a pretty place to live! I envision her going out on "missions" -- sniffing and peeing on all those trees! :rolleyes:

IMM

Dogs get off their chains and end up in the local shelter all the time. Often their owners don't feel like paying the requisite fine to get the dog back, so then the dog is available for a rescue organization to spring and rehab. Perhaps the rescue might even have been given a heads up about the dog beforehand and be watching the shelter.

My rescue does not take dogs or obtain them fraudulently. However, if a dog is surrendered to my rescue by the "owner" I don't grill them for information, I accept that they are likely the owner.

However, in my experience people who chain up dogs are not even slightly interested in being educated on a better way to keep them. Especially since it is legal (in most places - have you checked?)and folks are big into their right to chain a dog, along with all the other rights they have.

And once you speak to the owner they know someone noticed that they chain their dog AND they know who you are. Which means getting off the chain in the fashion that I never advocate can never happen (not that it would anyway of course) because the first suspect is going to be you. So what you may end up with is talking until you're blue in the face, a dog who is still on a chain and you knowing there is nothing you can do about it. That can be a hard thing to deal with, emotionally speaking.

RDM

Mr. Snappy -

You raise some valid points. The owner of the chained dog I tried to rescue wasn't the least bit persuaded by my arguments about the dog's welfare, but was afraid she'd be reported to the police (not that they'd have done anything about it, but I guess that's what a guilty conscience will do to you). So she pretended she'd be willing to sell me the dog and managed to hide him somewhere else before I could show up with the cash. By that time, I was getting pretty emotionally wrecked.

You're also correct that once you make the initial contact you will be the first one under suspicion should the dog disappear.

However, before taking a dog to a shelter it would be wise to find out their policy on HW positive dogs, dogs with mange, etc. Some shelters just euthanize dogs with these conditions upon arrival.

And I've known of more than one case where a solicitor has prosecuted rescue workers for larceny for *cough* liberating dogs - even in one case where the dog was obviously being starved by its legal owner. Don't ask me why the owner cared enough to level charges when she couldn't be bothered to feed her dog - I reckon some people just do meanness because they can.

I agree with IMM. I've seen lots of dogs that are believed by most to be chained 24/7. Often times the time you arent there they are played with and loved. The dog seems happy, healthy, fed and has a friend their to play with.. Honestly I dont tfind it that big of a deal.. not much different then a dog that is kenneled 24/7 and comes out to play, or work.. JMHO but I dont find it that big of a deal. I wouldn leave my dog chained up all day long. But that doesnt mean that that dog is unhappy or unloved.

Of course I dont know first hand whether or not she is out all the time. But what I do know, is that her condition in the spring was much better than it is now. Her coat is very thin and dirty. I have been at the house when there was someone home and she was on the chain. And I dont think the other dog is her "friend". My impression of the situation (which could be wrong) is that they keep their dogs on chains because they dont want them in the house. How many chained dogs get played with and loved? There is only one small dog house and two dogs. And the dog on the runner has the most access to it, not her.

Originally posted by Alicia:

Honestly I dont tfind it that big of a deal.. not much different then a dog that is kenneled 24/7 and comes out to play, or work..

There are big differences between chaining and kenneling a dog.

1) A dog on a chain is vulnerable and defenseless to any aggressive roaming dog, wild animal, or neighborhood bully.

2) It is dangerous to leave a dog unattended with something unbreakable around its neck.

3) Dogs feel comfortable in small enclosed spaces like crates or kennels, because they evolved to live in dens.

4) Dogs feel frustrated when restricted in an open space, particularly a visually oriented high energy breed like a BC. Ask any of the herding people whether they confine their dogs within sight of sheep when they're not working them.

5) Dogs are apt to become entangled in chains or wrap them around the tree/post so many times that they are pinned to the ground by the neck. Dogs, even smart ones like BCs, lack the ability to sequentially analyze a situation like wrapping their chain around a tree and figure out how to un-do it.

However, before taking a dog to a shelter it would be wise to find out their policy on HW positive dogs, dogs with mange, etc. Some shelters just euthanize dogs with these conditions upon arrival.

There are actually some situations where euthanasia would be a blessing, and in preference to helplessness of the mental and physical torture of the animals.

I'm sorry Sally, I understand those problems but I've known many chained dogs, with much less amount of chain then this dog, they spent most of the time outdoors as they were not wanted in the house and were not house trained.. however, they were played with daily, happy and healthy.

Like I said, its JMHO.. I dont find it that bad, I wouldnt do it, but I dont think it's that bad.

Beth G and I were talking about something similar last night. When she lived in another part of the country, she said she had good luck chatting up owners and offering to buy the dog for $20. If they really love the dog, and you just aren't there to see it, they won't sell the dog. If they don't give a fig, they may just think it would be great to get $20. Just a thought.

Kathy Robbins

I'd be a bit worried about offering to buy or take the dog. If someone were to say that they wanted to buy my dog (horse, goat, cat, whatnot) because they disagreed with the way they were being kept, but I found nothing wrong with it, and the animal was actually recieving proper care. I'd be POed.

Here's an example. I was out of town for a week and left my horses in the care of my VERY responsible best friend. I KNOW that they were properly cared for the ENTIRE time, no doubts about it. Well, I come back and a fellow boarder leaves a note. She said that my horses were out of water and that she took the liberty to watering them. She also, very bluntly said, if I cannot properly care for my horses she is willing to help... I was appalled. My horses are VERY well taken care of. We happened to be monitoring their water intake and had down sized their number of install buckets for this reason. I had never even met this woman. Needless to say I left a rather nasty note for this lady. SHe was nosy, and had the nerve to actually enter my horses' stalls, a person she had never seen let alone met, to water them.

Just be aware, you may think you are trying to help, but if these people think, or are taking proper care of their dog.. they may get angry, hurt and be plain out appalled, as I was.

I understand that you want to help adn that is all you have on your mind, just be aware that the response may not be very good, especially since it seems they are taking the time to feed this dog, and the other dog. I think if they are taking the time to feed and pay to feed these dogs.. they may be more loved then you might think. Or maybe they are being held for a son, daughter, grandaughter, friend, what not and the people arent even teh owners. Who, knows.. just be aware and prepared for an unhappy response if you do offer to take the dog.