BC Boards

Male vs. Female

Good question. I only have a female, so can't say.

Similarly, I've noticed in dogs I've had in my care that IN GENERAL male dogs (not BCs) are 'goofy' 'snugglers' and not as 'quick to get it' as females. IN GENERAL females are more 'aloof' 'independent' 'sneaky' & 'sharp as a tack'.

If you think this GENERALITY fairly accurate, do you think it also applies to male/female Border Collies?

The only BC I've had is River who is female, and I haven't had the opportunity to interact with any BCs to evaluate if my GENERALIZATIONS apply to BCs.

At this point the SO & I prefer females.

My male is a dork, but can "turn off" the silliness in no time flat. My boy is brilliant, but until you actually see him working or running agility, you'd think he was a dunce.

The females I know are a little on the snarky side. A bit more dominant with other dogs, more serious and less tolerant of BS. :rolleyes:

My boy Buzz is much more affectionate - he's got a very high Daily Petting Quotient. And, he's the one who loves to meet people. He also is much the most 'hair trigger' of the 3, and can get pretty snarky if handled wrong. He'll do anything I ask him to do, move or get down off the bed or the furniture with 1 quiet word, but try to physically make him? Not a good outcome.

In terms of quickness/learning, Shoshone the Queen of Quirk is the quickest, she's hard for me to keep up with. Buzz is almost as fast. Samantha is the slowest, but I think she was handled too roughly as a young dog. She's very, very soft, and any kind of correction just does her in, so she proceeds very cautiously learning a new behavior.

This is the sum total of my bc experience.

Ruth n the BC3

Some say (for BCs) that the males are more loving, the females more focused. But I only have a female - and that seems a little far fetched.

I don't think that much is different.

Dazzle's sire was close to 50 pounds, but then we met another pure BC (male) who was just a 20.

You gotta love this breed right? Any other breed forum might actually have an answer! :rolleyes:

Well, it's hard to generalize of course, but I think females mature more quickly when it comes to taking the pressure of training. Most of my females are pretty bitchy (that's not to say they don't solicit attention, but most of mine seek little cuddling compared to the males) and the males I know in general seem to be more loving, but it's an individual thing. So if we're speaking in generalities, I think Raising River is probably pretty close in her assessment.

And Nancy's right--it *is* easier to give belly rubs to females! :rolleyes:

J.

My male is large, about 50 pounds, built like a lion, and very very serious in terms of his personality. When he is goofy, it is a special event. He is intensely devoted. He is very quiet and methodical, brilliant and intuitive. He is an episodic, not general, snuggler. He is very protective of me. I am not embarrassed to give him tummy rubs. You guys need to get your minds out of the gutter!

My female is medium-sized, 35 pounds, built like a gazelle, and goofy to the point of silliness at all times except when she is working sheep. She is always on the go and always has a toy in her mouth and a total mama's girl. If she had a talk bubble above her head, it would always read, "Yay!" She will sometimes forget to pee when you take her out unless you remind her. She has been known to run into trees while playing because she does not watch where she is going.

I think most people would say that Fly's personality is more typical of a male, and Solo's is more typical of a female, which goes to show you that it all depends. They fit some human stereotypes pretty well. Solo is a very masculine, strong silent type. He has "genius" written all over him. I think of him as the canine John Nash. Fly is your stereotypical airheaded cheerleader. She's very intelligent, but it's hard to tell sometimes. OK, a lot of the time.

I don't think anything can be generalized...

Ouzo, 1 year old male, is the LEAST cuddly (he would sometimes tolerate some cuddles, but then he remembers he has things to do, balls to chase, etc), he's big (42 lb, 23 inches - and still growing), SUPER goofy, but then when it comes to something he considers work (I know it's not, but no one sent him the memo about it...): such as BALLS, he becomes "one with the ball", ignores absolutly everyone and everything around him, dogs, people, rabbits, and he's all "business like" (his oppinion) (or OCD, my own oppinion).

He is known to run into things, people, gates, other dogs, while being 100% focused on the ball (or something). He's the biggest joker, would do anything for attention and to draw a laugh, even getting himself in trouble just to pull a "Look what I can do" stunt...

He's super independent, afraid of nothing, no phobias, no fears, amazingly quick at learning anything (good or bad), surprisingly apt at generalizing concepts but also willing to challange authority just for the hack of it :rolleyes:

We have a boy and a girl, but they're different breeds so who knows what is because of gender, what is because of breed, and what is just because of personality.

I do know that Oreo has always been a super bitchy one. Zoe isn't very bitchy, she's too submissive... but will throw a bitch-fest at Zeeke once in a while.

My male, Popcorn is clingier than my husband's female,Pepper. :rolleyes:

And my husband says Pepper is bitchy and that males are more easy going. Who knows. I think it depends on the dog.

My male is only 14 weeks old so I dont know if his personality will change, but right now he's extremely playfull and wants to play non-stop with anything he can get ahold of. He loves people and strangers, but is not a lap dog. He'll tolerate some cuddling but would rather be running around playing. If I have treats he's very focused and easily trained, but if I don't he usually ignores me lol. My other two dogs, both males (not BCs), are hard to train with or without treats, and prefer to lay around or cuddle. I guess it really just depends on the individual dog.