BC Boards

Carpal pad injury

LuckytheDog

Does anyone have experience with healing a carpal pad injury? A week and a half ago, my husband was playing fetch with Lucky in our yard - a grassy lawn, and he saw he was bleeding on is left foot. It turned out he had ripped his carpal pad (the pad above his front 'ankle' above his dew claw). He got him to the vet quickly, so the vet was able to sew it back together. He's had a bandage on for a week and a half (changed once) but it was taken off today.

It's definitely back together, but it also looks like it could be something that could be a problem again in the future. Maybe he just has really big carpal pads? He's on leash walks only (no running) for 3 weeks (at least) and has the dreaded cone for one week. He hates the cone and he's super miserable right now. We aren't sure what he cut it on since he was playing in the grassy, unfrozen yard. He may have gotten too used to being able to skid in the snow.

We're going to take it easy with him for awhile and get it healed, but it would be great to hear if anyone has experience with this or if they have any advice (wrapping/boots etc) for how we can not have it happen again. He doesn't seem to be too bothered by the wound itself, but no running, playing, and the cone make him really unhappy.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience or wisdom to offer you - just want to say I'm sorry it happened. And that you all have to go through the next couple weeks.

Your vet might be able to advise you on wrappings of some sort.

Good luck with it - trick training can be very useful when you can't let your dog run for a while. Google 'Crate Games' for some good ideas.

Ruth and Gibbs

Does anyone have experience with healing a carpal pad injury? A week and a half ago, my husband was playing fetch with Lucky in our yard - a grassy lawn, and he saw he was bleeding on is left foot. It turned out he had ripped his carpal pad (the pad above his front 'ankle' above his dew claw). He got him to the vet quickly, so the vet was able to sew it back together. He's had a bandage on for a week and a half (changed once) but it was taken off today.

It's definitely back together, but it also looks like it could be something that could be a problem again in the future. Maybe he just has really big carpal pads? He's on leash walks only (no running) for 3 weeks (at least) and has the dreaded cone for one week. He hates the cone and he's super miserable right now. We aren't sure what he cut it on since he was playing in the grassy, unfrozen yard. He may have gotten too used to being able to skid in the snow.

We're going to take it easy with him for awhile and get it healed, but it would be great to hear if anyone has experience with this or if they have any advice (wrapping/boots etc) for how we can not have it happen again. He doesn't seem to be too bothered by the wound itself, but no running, playing, and the cone make him really unhappy.

Thanks!

It's a pretty common place for fast dogs to get abrasions. Mine do the same when we are running agility - fast stops, turns, etc...It should heal on it's own within two weeks. I don't bandage my dog unless she is actively bleeding.

Good Luck!

My dog damaged his feet three times. The first time was the worst and three feet were affected. All three feet had the carpal pad plus some toe pads sloughed off. Nothing that needed stitched, oozy and ouchy and a lot of care. He does it when he runs really fast and then decides to stop and look at something while on a rough surface. I've stopped the running on rough surfaces. His feet were oozy but didn't bleed so I used NeoPredef powder on them, then placed gauze 4x4's on the foot, Then wrapped with stretchy material, then added Vet Wrap. Then boots. I'd unwrap them at night to air out.

Hopefully your boy is a once and done thing!!!! But you may want to invest in a good set of boots and acclimate him to wearing them.