BC Boards

What did your dog(s) get for presents?

Here, we do not celebrate Christmas, but we do celebrate the winter solstice. (No, I am not a pagan, just in case you are wondering....I just don't "do" Christmas.)

I got the most beautiful new leather collar with silver conchos on it for Digger. Here's a photo of one similar to it

https://www.etsy.com/listing/216003634/78-brown-leather-dog-collar-pumpkin?ref=shop_home_active_12

(If you like the stuff on that site, don't hesitate to buy from her. The quality is excellent and her customer service is equally good. )

And Boo got a beautiful new leather collar as well...his is soft and padded, a solid light blue color and looks great with his white fur.

The border collies did not need new collars, so they got new squeaky toys. Jester's is shaped like a snake with a rattle in the tail and about eight squeakys all along its length. He's crazy about it! And he got a new toss-n-tug as well. Kit got a new toy also, but hers is the kind you put an empty water bottle in, to make it sound crunchy. She is prone to eviscerating stuffed toys. :rolleyes:

Jester, being the only one who really understands about unwrapping gifts, ended up unwrapping everyone's presents for them and thought they were all for him. Of course. The ensuing chaos was hilarious but no one got cranky and we all had fun.

Everyone got special treats and each got a dried cow ear to chew, which they thought was super cool. All in all, it was a good time for dogs. :)

What did yours get?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mom home for 24 hours 3 days in a row! :-)

They also got a 90 minute off leash walk in a giant field (and it didn't rain on us, even though t should have) and later, 2 of my 3 will get to go swim in the heated indoor dog pool (which is really expensive but they love it so much so I splurge every couple of months) while the third accompanies my husband on his errands and eats many snacks (because she has him wrapped around her paw).

Well, since before it became an anti-Christian pejorative "pagan" really didn't mean much more than people who dwell in the countryside I definitely identify with it. ;)

And since it's not really known just what time of year Jesus was born and the early church co-opted the winter solstice festivals to celebrate his birth because the country folk wouldn't give up their ancient festivals, it really makes more sense to observe the winter solstice in December and honor Christ at another time.

Don't mean to disrespect to anyone's religious sensitivities. Just sayin' . . . .

Cheap toys, and some discounted wet dog food for the sensitive dog who never gets to eat anything 'fun'. It's amazing. You spend two euro and the dog races around the house in frenzied ecstasy for about four days, shaking the toy madly. Imagine if you could get all your presents to be so successful.

"Hello Auntie Mary, I see you are still carrying around the ornament I got you and showing it to absolutely everyone you come across, three days later."

The terrier, while unwrapping the toys, kept stopping to ask me if wanton destruction was okay, in disbelief. She really enjoyed it, too.

Eh, as far as spending money goes it's toys to replace the ones they lost, and wrapping paper that was being thrown out because it had got destroyed.

Oh, and all the brussels sprouts outer leaves, carrot peelings, and raw celeriac skin they could eat. Lives of luxury rivalling the worst excesses of the Roman emperors, that's what they lead.

My dogs got lots of presents I got them Yacky Sick chews, and some cheap stuffed snowball toys. My family also got them some new tug toys and balls, which they were in serious need of and treats! They also got a new dog bed that was on sale for $6, but they were getting a new bed with or without the holiday.

Livi got a turkey neck on Christmas morning, and a treat ball. The ball works really well with her kibble and she seems to enjoy the challenge of extracting her dinner from it.

This week we'll be building the kids' Christmas present: a fort in the backyard. Livi won't get much direct enjoyment out of it, but it should result in all of us spending more time out there... especially since there will be a picnic table where we can do some of our schoolwork on nice days.

I'm not religious and I love Christmas! I celebrate by seeing family from across the country and giving gifts to one another and eating waaaay too much food. And the days start getting longer!!!

Keeper got a younger brother for Christmas. He's hoping I kept the receipt.

He got a couple new toys from me, and several from family members. People tend to give gifts to my dog rather than myself, and I love it! I get more enjoyment out of my dog getting nice things than myself. I just bought him a new leather collar too, though that's a belated Christmas gift. Something tells me he won't notice...

And I got a "my border collie is smarter than your honor student" bumper sticker. :)

Mine got nothing special other than a pretty good life. They're dogs, not people.

Yeah, I know. But they needed the new things I got for them anyway (except for the cow ears), and doing it this way was such great fun for all of us that why not? Mid-winter I need something to perk me up a bit - I don't much like the long dark nights and short days and cold temperatures.

I have found that if my dogs have a great day, I do too. :)

We celebrate Christmas as the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord. :) We also observe "commercial" Christmas, but we try to minimize that. We also celebrate in our household from Christmas Eve through the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus, which is on January 10th this year. So we are actually still celebrating the holiday!!

My dogs got a squeaky duck to from my parents. That is Bandit's since he is the only one who plays with that sort of thing.

From me Bandit got a new red Hollee Ball, Dean Dog got a pair of orange Chuckit Balls, and Tessa . . . well, she doesn't care about most toys, so she got to unwrap her own Lotus Ball into which I had inserted two nice treats. She liked that better than something new. I guess I could have gotten her a new Lotus Ball, but it really isn't time for another yet.

I think their biggest gift is having me around for a week and a half while I'm on break. We are hanging out, training, and we have been enjoying the warm weather by spending a lot more time out in the yard than we usually do this time of year.

Mine got new beaded Kenyan Collection collars. One of them (Ross) was overdue for such; I promise the dogs nice collars when they start trialing. Spain's old one went to Duncan (even though he's not trialing, he shouldn't get left out!) and she got a smaller one so that I could fit a Boomerang tag over each dog's collar - no more jangling tags!

Poor Duncan and Spain are celebrating Christmas at a kennel, as I'm off in Colorado visiting my parents (who are in poor health). Lucky Ross got to spend three weeks with his trainer! With luck it will stop raining long enough for him to get some help with pace and overflanking.

Mine got nothing special other than a pretty good life. They're dogs, not people.

Well, my dogs are family; wet nosed, but still family. When we are in a good mood -- whatever reason -- they share the spirit with us and get a little bonus as well. A pig's ear; maybe half a boiled egg; or, like today, the dregs of the Fondue Neuchatel we had to celebrate our daughters birthday. They are still dogs, but they enjoy sharing a special occasion with us.

Well, my dogs are family; wet nosed, but still family. When we are in a good mood -- whatever reason -- they share the spirit with us and get a little bonus as well. A pig's ear; maybe half a boiled egg; or, like today, the dregs of the Fondue Neuchatel we had to celebrate our daughters birthday. They are still dogs, but they enjoy sharing a special occasion with us.

Nicely said, John. :D