BC Boards

Enforcing Direction Command

Look Back Command And Direction

During the double lift at Grass Creek

One of the dogs was trying to go come bye instead of away to the sheep for second group fetch.

The handler would say look back dog would.

Then it wanted to go Come bye as that is the way the sheep were the first time.

Handler would stop it with the lie down and start process again the Dog was getting confused it seemed.

The Handler I was beside made the suggestion to me that the points were already lost because the dog had crossed over it would have been better to let the dog complete the fetch instead of repeatedly giving down command and away.

I am wondering what the thoughts are of other experienced handlers

Do you let the dog complete the action when you see it is getting confused or do you keep trying to force the dog the way you are asking

Dan & Tilly

Dear Aspiring Sheepdoggers,

Unless there's real danger to the dog or sheep - in which case a recall may be more appropriate - there's usually no point insisting on the original flank after a dog has crossed over at a trial. Your persistence will - at least -increase the dog's confusion and may encourage him to tune you out thereafter. You've lost your outrun points and (usually) any hopes of a placing. Why not see what you and your dog can do with the rest of the course? Might be fun or -at least - interesting.

At other times, when a dog refuses a flank, I will correct with an "AAAHK" perhaps a "DOWN"and repeat the command unless I see the dog has the bit in his teeth or is on another planet and won't hear anything I say.

When the dog's gone deaf (and most will occasionally) becoming a lunatic yourself is rarely useful. Sometimes changing your body language (crook waving, a step forward. slapping your cap against your thigh - whatever) may catch his attention and you can resume as if nothing has happened. Usually, you'll call the dog off and retire.

That your dog is being an idiot doesn't require you to be.

Donald McCaig