BC Boards

Help-Jumping 6ft Fences

I am looking for some advice... My Max is 1 1/2 years old. When Max was just shy of a year he started to jump our 4 ft fence. We put him on a long dog run for the times we were not home. He did pretty well with that.We recently put up a 6ft wooden fence, in hope to take him off the run when we are not at home. He has (today) jumped the 6ft wooden fence -twice.... once off the dog run and once on (thank goodness he has a long run). he never tried that before. My husband and I don't know what to do. We thought about putting an underground fence along the wooden one, but are apprehensive about that. We are not too keen on the idea of putting him in a small enclosed dog run/crating him during work. Any ideas would be great.Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by dog run. Is that a kennel of some sort or a rope/line/chain?

I would consider installing an underground fence along with your wooden fence. I have Invisible Fence and it stops my BC mix in his tracks. I followed the company's training plan to the letter and I have had excellent results with it. It has been months since he ventured too close to the line. The installers can adjust the collar's setting to different levels of correction and whether the warning beeps come slightly before the correction or at the same time.

I think you need to act quickly because your dog is going to either be picked up by animal control, picked up by someone else, or killed.

The dog run is the dog line that run the length of our yard, with a rope off that that connects to max's collar. My husband had lengthened the line and rope so Max could run the entire length and width of the yard, with dome added play in the rope.

Did you have the underground fence professionally done or the "do it yourself kit"? what are the differences in you putting it in verses the professional (besides cost)?

I have the Invisible Fence brand of pet containment system. I fenced almost an acre and there is no way my husband and I could have done it by ourselves. I thought they did a good job of training me so I could train Jack. Since my cats are on IF also, the technicians are very helpful in addressing each pets' security needs. (Oddly enough, my 13-year old cat is the one who tests the system most often.)

If I remember correctly, all of IF electronics are guaranteed for life. We had a terrible storm on July 4th a couple of years ago and it blew out the system's motherboard (or something like that) and all I paid for was the service call.

Hey , thank you so much. I have been up all night thinking about what we can do. We talked about an underground fence but threw out the "what if he has a high tolerance and jumps right through the invisible and the woooden fence" idea? We didn't know how well they worked or if Max would "out smart " it like has pretty much with everything else. We talked about getting a friend for him. All my questions were answered on that idea from on of the forums here. So we x'ed that one out.

My husband and I have both received corrections by accident and believe me, it really gets your attention! (My husband had the collar in his pocket.) You must follow the IF training schedule to the letter, but we have been very pleased. I think there is a similar company called DogWatch, so I would ask for the different company's reps to come out a give you an estimate and explain their product.

You may also want to use the Board's search feature and look back over past posts because there have been many discussions about pet containment systems. I think some folks have installed a DIY system and had good results.

I want to second the invisible fence in conjunction with a traditional fence. We had two hardcore escape artists and now they completely respect the boundaries. We didn't even put it underground but just wired it up along the existing fence, about a foot from the ground. We did it ourselves and contained about 3 acres. I ended up putting collars on all my dogs simply because I like the distance between them and the fence for a lot of reasons. People stopping to say HI being a big one.

We got ours through radiofence.com and I thought it was a great buy and has taken the worry out of letting the pups out to play.

Maria

Hi there,

I feel your pain! My 14" tall, 14 pound JRT scaled a fence at our rental house in England and killed our neighbor's cat.

I have since become an "expert" on fencing for dogs that can go over/under/through anything. I highly recommend what others have said regarding an underground fence. I also use a hotwire with success on existing fencing--cost of about $40 at any farm supply, packaged as a "K9Trainer" shock wire system.

Regarding the underground fence w/collar, you can do it yourself super cheap. Just rent a trencher to bury the line--it's as easy as pushing a lawn mower. Here's an article I wrote for our local humane society (rural area) about my own experience. (I'm the volunteer in the article). This explains how to install a fence and the cost as of about 2-3 years ago:

Installing / Training for an Underground Electric Fence

Good luck with your jumper,

Columbia, MO

I only use the invisible fencing as I live on 5 acres with no fencing. Having the physical fencing as well will be great for you too. My BC was only actually zapped once (and I tricked her to cross by throwing a ball) and has never tried to cross again anywhere on the 5 acres even if a ball goes into the neighboring yard.

For my Golden Retriever that I had, I had to get the larger shocker for 'stubborn' dogs as the regular one it comes with wasn't phasing him. So he got the 9 volt battery one which was just great.

We installed all 5 acres by ourselves. My dogs no longer wear the collars and still respect the borders.

I'm not sure you need invisible fencing. I'd be willing to bet that your pup is vaulting the fence, the way Meg does. She uses the top of the obstruction to vault. If you put something on the top of the fence that prevents the pup from getting a pawhold....a peice slanted up and in, plastic owls, chinese lantern string, lanolin, tiki heads....your problem may just go away.