BC Boards

Trip to Colorad in November

I am thinking about planning a trip this November.

I'd like a place where dogs can enjoy snow freely without too many tourists. I'd also like to see pretty views - mountains and european looking towns. Any suggestions? I don't know where to start... this will be our first trip together outside of Texas.

I've heard that Estes Park is a great place to visit! My family is going to be heading out there the end of Oct for my brother's wedding.

Rocky Mountain NP is close by, as well as Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest. I have an idea that there won't be too many tourists there at that time of year.

I've found several rental cabins in that area that allow dogs. Just Google "rental cabins Estes Park"

Ouray is more of a european looking town, in the southwestern part. My family took a vacation out there about 10 years ago. Mountains, winding roads, small towns. Look for national forests if you want some great hiking places with limited people - they're all over in CO.

Hope that helps a little!

Estes Park is a great place to enjoy the mountains and it isn't too far from the front range (or too far up mountain roads if you are squeemish about driving in weather). Estes does have some nice little shops that are fun. The Stanley Hotel is also there - Steven King wrote the Shining there & it's based loosely on that hotel. November will definitely have snow in the mountains, but down along the front range (Denver metro area), there may not be any snow. Our snow usually comes and then melts off within a day or two.

Dogs are not usually allowed on trails in National Parks at all and are only allowed in some area of the parks on leash. But, there are other areas that are not designated as national forest where dogs are allowed. Here is a link to some info on dogs on the Estes Park web page: http://www.estes-park.com/etcet/pets.html

There is a good book called Canine Colorado that has tons of information on where you can go and stay with dogs all over Colorado. I think the most recent edition is about 5 years old, but most of the info should still be pretty helpful. I went on Amazon to confirm the name & saw there is a fairly recent book called Best Hikes with Dogs Colorado. I've never seen it and I don't know how much info it will have on winter hikes (although our weather usually allows for hiking almost all year round), but it might be worth looking at.

Also, try www.colorado.com It's the Colorado tourism site.

Please let me know if I can help with anything.

Dana

workinglabs@comcast.net

INU, Estes Park is not a good place for dogs, they need to be on leash at all time and it might be stressful for them. It's a wonderful place for humans, on the other hand.

Check some of the pictures I posted not too long ago on this board.

Being new to Colorado myself, I will defer expert opinions to CO natives from this board: Jonun, Colorado Girl, etc.

Ok, so my first answer is EVERYWHERE. From Denver you can see mountains. Just West of Denver is endless beauty.

I love the winter, it's just wonderful.

We moved here 4 years ago from Texas and never look back.

Just about 100% of the places require a leash, so if you're expecting free roam, I wouldn't coun't on it. There is wildlife everywhere, most trails require dog's on a leash and you WILL get a ticket if a ranger finds you with a loose dog. It's detrimental to the wildlife to have a loose dog and they take it seriously.

No joke I have seen the following hiking: moose, elk, wolves, coyotes, rattlesnake, moutain lion, bear droppings - YIKES, lots of deer, sheep, long horn ram

Estes Park is a fun but very touristy place and beautiful as the foot of the rocky mountians. Estes Park is the inspiration for THE SHINING and Steven King filmed the SHINING mini series right there in Estes Park at the famous Stanley hote. Oh, and there isn't the famous garden as seen in the movie. Elk are EVERYWHERE. It's a small town, so if you are spending a week, plan on taking a day trip. The major resorts are not far away, Breckenrdige, Vail etc... Another interesting place is NEDERLAND and a nice drive to the mountains.

Lots of places to see and things to do.

And... if you come in the winter time there is WORLD CLASS skiing.

Skiing doesn't start until November, but by October, there will definlty be snow in the mountains. Depending on when in November, you may be able to get some skiing in.

Ask if you have more questions.

jabawaki1@yahoo.com

Jay