BC Boards

2009 - A Last Good Bye

sea4th

We lost our sweet 5 year old Border collie Krispie in July. She was our four year old son's best friend and he still cries for her every day and asks me when she is going to come home. She has been especially hard to let go.

post-10840-1262875516_thumb.jpg

I'm so sorry. Five is way too young. My guy just turned five in December. I can only imagine what you must be going through.

We lost our sweet 5 year old Border collie Krispie in July. She was our four year old son's best friend and he still cries for her every day and asks me when she is going to come home.

You may want to tell your son this. We are all put upon this earth to learn to become the beings that God wants us to be: kind, loyal, loving, and compassionate. It takes people many years to learn these things before they can go home to be with God. However, dogs already know these things when they are born, so they get to go home and be with God much sooner. But the dogs do not forget us; they are waiting to rejoin us when we have finally earned the right ourselves to go home to God. (At least, that's what I used to tell my kids...)

Friendships are made over special dogs. I ran into one of those friends who had a littermate to Flick, Jack, and Max. Her girl, Wren, died Christmas eve, and although she did an admirable job being stoic as she was telling me, I knew her heart was breaking. She said she never had a dog before, or since, who would give 200 % of whatever was asked of her. Yeh, sounds familiar. Although there was a similarity among all of the littermates, Wren was a little different in appearance. Rough coated, white blaze, and the only black on her was her saddle. Her head was completely brown and other than the blaze, the white feet and tail tip, so was the rest of her. Where she was so much like the rest was the way she became her owner's --- with Flick, I called it "right-hand dog" --- Wren -- her owner referred to her as her co-pilot, and like the others, Wren's death leaves a huge hole in her owner's life --- and we agree to the person, that there will never be another like the one's who now wait for us.

Affirmation that I'm not really nuts --- there really was something beyond special -- something different about these dogs.

Rest well, Wrenny.

Not a border collie but we lost one of our Giant Schnauzer's Mia in May. She had just turned 10 years old. She was a great ambassador of the breed, loyal, loving, approachable and sensible. She didn't cause a fuss at sheepdog trials when little terrorists thought she was a bear and when border collies avoided her and quickly ran around her rear end to sniff the strange looking creature. I still remember when we flew her in from California, a pudgy 6 month old Giant; shy, not quite ready to live in Pennsylvania but she came around so quickly. 10 years goes way too quickly. Thanks for being in my life litte one

RIP Mia March 1999-May 2009

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg