BC Boards

leash training

My girl turned 7 weeks old on Monday. I brought her home this past Friday, 6 days ago. She's already 90% housetrained, as she goes to the back door and whines a bit when she needs to go out.

My question is about leash training. I've had her drag the leash around for a little while each day in the house to get used to it, but when I take her outside to try and walk her on it in the yard or park she fights--sitting down, digging in, trying to squirm out of her collar (buckle collar, I won't use a choker). I put pressure on her to walk with me, but don't drag her around by the leash, and then snatch her up and bring her inside (she doesn't like that as she really prefers to be outside right now). She is starting to wander a litte further away from me each day when we walk, so I want her on the leash until she has a good recall. How can I make this easier for both of us?

give your girl some time! let her drag the leash all day as long as your around to help should she get into trouble. the other thing you might try is a traffic leash,its alot shorter than a regular leash and probably wont get caught on things as easily.

try giving her treats throughout the day also. the other thing you can try is the "umbilical cord method". which is where you would take a 6ft. lead and tie it to your belt loop or somewhere on your body, and make her to follow where ever you go.

as with any puppy not just a border cause im on my first border too, but she probably barely nows her name. i did the "cord method" with my cocker and my shepherd and now they dont leave my side for nothing. the border is the same way. she wont leave my side unless we are working or i have called "free" then she may go play on her own. good luck and let me know how things work out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I let my puppy drag her leash around for months. She is a year old and she still drags it when we are in a new house. It is handy to grab her if I need to. When we went on a walk she always wanted to go so I never held the leash or let her fight it. I just talked very upbeat to her and started walking she followed because being outside is much cooler than being in the house. When she was used to walking with me I gradually put more pressure on the leash to let her know that I was there.

On the recall. I got a bunch of my friends together and spaced us around in a circle, gradually getting more space between each person as she got better. Didnt start this til she was 4 months old or so. Took turns calling the her from person to person always using the same phrase. Worked really well. I have noticed that once she turns onto chasing something like a strange dog in the yard her recall disappears, however, she has a rock solid "down". I can down her from anywhere and then she recalls with no problem. Any questions or just want to chat feel free to email me.

Olivia