BC Boards

I see it!

Put away the pitchforks for a minute, but I never saw collies (sorry, border collies) as particularly beautiful dogs. Just, I don't know, dog-shaped black-and-white dogs, never bred to look impressive. I'd never seen a bc I'd class as a 'pretty' dog. The ones bred for work were ordinary. The ones bred for looks were positively ugly. I didn't mean it in a bad way, 'twas just my subjective opinion; it's not like looks are particularly important in a dog anyway.

Now I've changed my mind. I saw a lost young collie today (out the window of a bus so I couldn't do anything about it). He looked both ways before crossing the very busy road and, a little uneasy, loped away gracefully along the path. He had unusually pointed pricked ears, and he was the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. The way he ran! The way you could see him thinking!

It was nothing to do with his coat or conformation, and if I'd seen a photo I would have thought he was nothing special. But when you really saw him, he was gorgeous.

So why do they judge the aesthetics of the border collie, without seeing them run or think?

Sorry for devoting a topic to such a trivial subject, I just wanted to share the 'lightbulb' moment and didn't see a thread which would suit it.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder - I, for one, can't see any beauty or appeal in dogs with flat faces (Peke, English Bulldog, Pug, for example) or distorted structure. But others find them totally appealing.

Even some collies that, standing still, aren't "pretty" become positively breath-takingly beautiful when they work. Beauty is as beauty does, and all that.

Meanwhile, I find my two very different boys to both be handsome, each in their own way, and my little bitch to be terribly appealing and cute - but maybe love does color one's perceptions a bit...

Have you read "The Dog Wars" by Donald McCaig? It is very illuminating, particularly with regard to how breed standards (show ring standards) have come about. They are terribly arbitrary, based on someone's thoughts about how some breed *should* look - but not really based in what actually is practical or functional in real life, even for pet dogs (where health is certainly not a criteria in the pursuit of a certain appearance standard). I think the breed standards are all smoke and mirrors - if you *think* it should look this way, and you *make* it look this way, then it *will be* this way, and that's not the way real life works. Form follows function (if you want a functional animal) - not function follows form (when the form is an arbitrary standard).

One interesting thing is that you can look at photos of functional dogs from some decades back, and compare them to present-day show dogs of the "same" breed - and they may look nothing alike, truly. On the other hand, you can look at the great (and common) working-bred collies of decades gone by and chances are, you will see dogs of all those shapes, sizes, and styles at any sheepdog trial, because they are bred for function not for whatever appearance is deemed "correct" at the current time.

Off my soapbox now...

I agree with the OP on some points. A dog, or person for that matter, while appearing unremarkable at rest, can take your breath away when they perform the duties they were originally bred to do. Personally, I find watching a dog do his natural job is one of the most beautiful sights on earth.

I never used to find smooth-coat, prick-eared BCs attractive. I've always been a fluffy-butt, drop-eared lover. But, after spending time on this board and seeing so many pics and videos of the working dogs, I have changed my opinion. I will always love the look and feel of a luxurious rough coat, but I see a beauty in the smooths I never appreciated before.

Everyone likes a type -- and it's probably a good thing that we all don't like the same thing. :D

I've seen many examples of this in my work at the shelter. I've seen people walk in and fall in love with a dog that I feel is the most homely, ugly looking thing I've seen in a long time. They don't see that -- they see a fluffy little dog that is perfect for them.

Some people love the bay of a beagle or other hound-type dog. That sound makes me want to stab my ears out with a spoon. :lol:

Some people love giant dogs. I see them and consider the food bill and the difficulties they would have fitting through a 24" agility tunnel. ;)

I think I've always thought border collies were attractive, but I didn't consider them beautiful until I got to know the breed better. It's more than their look that I love, it's their personalities. Everything just combines into one perfect package.

Over Thanksgiving break we rented a place in NC on 5 acres surrounded by 100 acres of just beautiful grass and trees. It was the first time my dogs were able to let loose and run on a property that big. I'll never forget it. I took Jedi's leash off and he just looked at me...then looked around....I said, "Go, run Jedi!" He gave me a look like, really? Then he ...ran and ran and ran. I'll never forget what a beautiful sight that was. I still get goosebumps. When he was done, he came up to me with the biggest smile on his face that said thank you. You have no idea how much I want to live out on acreage now. :)

I never used to find smooth-coat, prick-eared BCs attractive.

Me neither - until we got one. Well one ear pricked at least.

But I never thought much of scent or sight hounds until we got one of each, or terriers until we got one, or just nondescript little mongrels until ....

I am fairly consistent though - I like unexaggerated athletic dogs with a coat short enough to see the dog underneath and I do get a buzz from seeing them run.

I can't see myself ever wanting another hairy dog (sorry Ross) but who knows? I couldn't turn down the right dog for having too much fur but I wouldn't seek one out.

A Border Collie's athleticism is certainly a beautiful thing...and to see them doing the job they were intended to do, breathtaking. I love everything about them. Their heads, the shining intelligence in their eyes, their gently waving tail...whether on the run, or snoozing at my feet. I've never seen a Border Collie I didn't like, but then...okay, I'm biased.

Over Thanksgiving break we rented a place in NC on 5 acres surrounded by 100 acres of just beautiful grass and trees. It was the first time my dogs were able to let loose and run on a property that big. I'll never forget it. I took Jedi's leash off and he just looked at me...then looked around....I said, "Go, run Jedi!" He gave me a look like, really? Then he ...ran and ran and ran. I'll never forget what a beautiful sight that was. I still get goosebumps. When he was done, he came up to me with the biggest smile on his face that said thank you. You have no idea how much I want to live out on acreage now. :)

I had a similar experience with a rescue dog -- after we were sure he'd come back, I turned him loose in the near field...his joy was pure and simple.

This breed's beauty, purpose, breed standard is in action (function) which is very difficult to see in photos and impossible to assess without seeing these dogs in action.

My preference is pricked ear smooth coated tri color, but I don't see these things when the dogs are in action.

Me neither - until we got one. Well one ear pricked at least.

Same with me with merles. I've never been a merle person, and I really still am not.

But I think my own is absolutely gorgeous, and I am now more partial to merles that are similar to him.

Apparently, though, my preference is black and white, mostly black, especially in the face!!

One day, a few years back, while sitting in a chair beside the fence during a sheepherding class, a stray dog ran up to the gate and was standing there watching the sheep inside the pen. I looked at that dog and thought what a beautiful dog. It was a medium coat tri with not much feathering but his coat was shiney and silky. He had such a nice intense look in his eyes. His white ruff was so white and his black shined almost with a blue tinge.

It was this dog and it took me a few minutes to realize I had been looking at my own dog. A dog which I had actually always thought of as common looking.

DSC00410-1.jpg

One day, a few years back, while sitting in a chair beside the fence during a sheepherding class, a stray dog ran up to the gate and was standing there watching the sheep inside the pen. I looked at that dog and thought what a beautiful dog. It was a medium coat tri with not much feathering but his coat was shiney and silky. He had such a nice intense look in his eyes. His white ruff was so white and his black shined almost with a blue tinge.

It was this dog and it took me a few minutes to realize I had been looking at my own dog. A dog which I had actually always thought of as common looking.

^^^ Sweet! :)

I have loved reading all the responses.

Jovi

I have to say that one of the things that puts the biggest grin on my face is watching my dogs run all out in the field really enjoying themselves - it both relaxing and exhilarating to me. Of course the other thing is watching them with the sheep seeing them get it then seeing the look of satisfaction that comes from the job.

My Kit dog has way of sitting crooked and with her front legs splayed out in a highly unbecoming manner. Top that off with airplane ears and the tip of her tongue protruding and you have a rather dumb looking black and white dog. But get her running.....and oh my!! The grace and beauty that she displays sometimes takes my breath away, not to mention her speed and focus.

I think border collies are the most beautiful dogs in the world most of the time, but hands down when they are working.

D'Elle

(not meaning to imply that my Kit is a working dog. She is a companion. But she is gorgeous when she runs and would've looked pretty fine on the outrun if she'd been trained to sheep) ;)

Personally I find border collies beautiful. My preference is a small smooth coated any color. But any BC will do in my eyes.

Then you add a beautiful working dog and it takes my breath away.

There is a certain look that Mick has that is stunning, beautiful, classic and very regal. Then there are times he looks at me and all I can think of is Marty Feldman and giggle.

There is no other dog I'd rather look at than a border collie.

Not taking in account the barbie collie with the big wide head and their big bodies. Doesn't do it for me in the least.

There is no accounting for taste but, for me, Border Collies will always be the most beautiful dog I've ever seen and that's not even counting a working dog doing it's beautiful dance of work.

I love watching people react to my dog. They will glance at her and move on as if they didn't care for what they see. But one step on, many will turn back and give her a second look. A good look. Many of them will say, That's a beautiful dog! What is it?" I will answer, "A Border Collie." They will keep looking and say, "Her eyes!"

Of course, to me, she is the most beautiful dog in the world. Physically, yes. But it's her focus, intelligence, and the way she engages totally in what she's doing that make her irresistible.

post-10533-070251700 1331345187_thumb.jpg

They will keep looking and say, "Her eyes!"

One thing I feel strongly about is that when you look at a Border Collie's face (and I don't mean a Barbie Collie), and look at or into his/her eyes, you can see there is "something" behind those eyes. There is a brain, a thinking process, something that I am sorry to say I just don't see in many dogs. Not that I don't like other dogs or find them terrific companions or active partners - there's just *something* there that I don't often see in other dogs.

And maybe I'm just prejudiced.

One thing I feel strongly about is that when you look at a Border Collie's face (and I don't mean a Barbie Collie), and look at or into his/her eyes, you can see there is "something" behind those eyes. There is a brain, a thinking process, something that I am sorry to say I just don't see in many dogs. Not that I don't like other dogs or find them terrific companions or active partners - there's just *something* there that I don't often see in other dogs.

I find the same thing.

I don't even see the same thing in my own mutts, in whom I see a lot that other people don't since they are my own dogs and they are special to me.

And maybe I'm just prejudiced.

I don't think you're prejudiced - at least, even if you are, what you say is right. When you look at a non-Barbie Border Collie, you see a whole, sentient being. I've had other dogs that had this, but not many. It is most apparent in the eyes, but there's more. You see a creature that thinks and feels the world around it acutely and with understanding by the body-carriage and other indefinable qualities.

When you look into the eyes of a leopard or a hawk or a wolf, you see the same thing. The presence of the soul, the sharpness of the mind, the sense of self. I had a Doberman Pinscher bitch that had it, and a Siberian Husky mix. The rest of the dogs I meet are by and large sweet, loving, even clever. But they don't really seem to know who they are, let alone what they are capable of. They just lollop around grinning and wait to be told how wonderful they are. Sugarfoot knows her own worth, (but that doesn't mean she doesn't like to hear about it from me and the select group of humans she has endorsed as friends.) ;)

This thread title is very apt in my circumstance.

I wasn't a dog lover, had never had them in the family, and had never considered owning one. But, about 18 months ago, I had a chance meeting with a beautiful blue eyed blue merle that came up to me, sat in front of me and looked right into my eyes. I think he hypnotized me.

That evening I went home and couldn't get him out of my my mind. I suddenly thought I was in a really good position to own a dog....self employed, working from home with my own little business, and really wanting the responsibility that it would bring.

I looked at a couple of rescue collies, but, being a first time dog owner, didn't have the confidence to take on something that would, maybe, have issues that I wasn't capable or experienced enough to deal with.

After plenty of research I soon had my puppy Percy at home with me and, I can honestly say, the last year has been the most rewarding of my life. It was very hard at first; much harder than I had imagined. The toilet training, chasing cyclists and runners, lunging at cars on lead walks, barking when I went out of the house.

But now.....now I am just so proud of him. When I take him out on his outings I'm so proud when he approaches other dogs in such a way that the other dog owners say what a lovely, gentle, happy dog he is. I'm proud that his nice nature is commented on by others. But I'm mostly proud that, after a long day of just doing 'stuff' with him, he'll rest his head on my leg when I'm lying on the floor and look right up into my eyes and I know he's a happy dog. I'm pretty sure no other type of dog could do this for me.

I see it.

Percy8months5.jpg

While growing up my family had a Springer Spaniel, and even though he was the family dog I always wanted one that was mine. My dad decided to put him down at 16 due to decreasing health, I was 10. A few years later I started asking if I could get a dog and the answer was always no. On my 17th birthday I I was deemed responsible enough and my mom took me out to pick up a puppy from an add we'd seen. "BC/Lab mix puppies." At the time I had no experience with being the primary care giver for a dog, let alone a BC).

I've had Oliver for 2 years now and all other breeds just don't do it for me anymore. His intelligence, personality, and like others have said, the understanding behind his eyes. When I'm in a position to care for more than one dog I know I'll be searching shelters and rescues for a BC. Everything about these dogs screams brilliance, and they're pretty darn cute, too. It blows my mind how he picks up tricks in 15 min or less.

My preference is a split or all white face, but I love the classic b&w as well. And to think before Oliver my favorite breed was Alaskan Malamutes! I don't regret picking up my boy when he was little less than 6 weeks old for $40 from a less than reputable source. (And thanks to this board I've learned a ton about keeping him physically and mentally challenged.) He's everything I could ever want from a dog.

It's all in the eyes, and what's between those eyes as well. Nothing better than giving them a problem and watching them work it out. To have a dog that you teach a new lesson to, have them not only learn it in 5 mins, but pick it up again next day performing it 100% better because they've had a chance to think about it.

I mean what other breed goes through such thought processes. I do believe once you have a BC you pretty much ruin yourself from all other breeds.

I don't think you're prejudiced - at least, even if you are, what you say is right. When you look at a non-Barbie Border Collie, you see a whole, sentient being. I've had other dogs that had this, but not many. It is most apparent in the eyes, but there's more. You see a creature that thinks and feels the world around it acutely and with understanding by the body-carriage and other indefinable qualities.

When you look into the eyes of a leopard or a hawk or a wolf, you see the same thing. The presence of the soul, the sharpness of the mind, the sense of self.

Well spoken :)!

Archived