BC Boards

Just a comment on commercial breeders here in KC

Tommy Coyote

The $90 are from parents who work cattle/sheep, but there is no proof of them being purebred and they are not the champion dogs. Usually accidental/unexpected litters from a ranch.

I probably should have specified, my $200 border collie was from working and Local Champion lines not national or ABCA champions. Part of the reason for Lily's low cost was that she has little to no interest in herding and the breeder felt that she wouldn't fit in on a working farm. However even the working dogs were only $300...

Usually when pups are sold from "champion lines" it means there were some champion ancestors 5 or 6 generations back in the pedigree. Fools buyers every time.

Super stud dog's great grandfather was the International Champion and his great grandmother was Reserve Irish Champion! Dazzling dam's great grandfather was the US National Champion! These pups are from champions bloodlines! Reserve yours today before they are all gone!

I saw some very nice purse dogs at the rescue.

Can't say I think much about people who say animals have no souls.

I think THEY have no souls so cannot judge properly

Thud and Kylie were found in trash dumps as puppies. Thud was near dead at a county dump, and Kylie was found INSIDE a commercial trash dumpster at four weeks old. Thud is about 120lbs of GSD mix, but Kylie's under 15 of foofy little dog.

Jack, the RT, came from a UKC breeder. He was 150.00, had already titled in conformation and weight pull and had been health tested (himself - not his parents). I purchased him as an adult.

Bug was adopted from Craigslist. She was free and spayed. Of course she's also deaf, has a high grade heart murmur and bad knees.

Molly... was 25.00, and from an oops litter on a farm. I had no issue with that, frankly, because she came with vet records, her mother does local trailing and both parents work on a daily basis. Is it ideal? No, but I paid 25.00 for her, she came with vet records and the vet care she received cost more than the adoption fee they asked. There was no profit made on her litter coming into the world.

I don't know. Obviously in my area it's fairly easy to get your hands on what you want - without resorting to your money supporting breeding practices you don't. Certainly there are still people here who buy from petstores, but I don't think for a second you can blame availability. More like impatience and the misguided idea that you get what you pay for, and paying more means a better dog.

The minimum for a working bred puppy around these parts (eastern/atlantic Canada) is about $700. The average window is $700-$1500. Depends on the pedigree. Can be more, not likely to be less. You will have to wait for one. Sometimes quite a while. I waited two years for my current puppy.

You can buy a sports bred BC for $300. You can pick one up this afternoon.

You can buy a puppy from a backyard litter for $150-$200. You can get that one on the weekend.

You pay about $150 to get a rescue dog. That will take 10 days to be approved.

Just wanted to add that this has not been my experience at all. Working-bred (true working-bred) pups I know of go for about $500-$800. Sports-bred dogs go for $1,000-$2,500 (often requiring co-ownership).

I'm not sure what you mean by you being "lucky" because dogs of all sorts are sold through newspaper ads, but I'm sure it's not lucky for the dogs. Along with Craigslist and pet shops, newspaper ads are just another outlet for backyard breeders. oops breedings, and even puppy mills (or breeding bitches that are farmed out to "associates" of the big-volume breeders and puppy mills).

I guess I'm lucky in the way that in my area you can get a dog of near any breed anytime from a newspaper ad. There is really only one really small 'pet shop" that sells puppies and kittens, because there just isn't a huge market for it here with all the private breeders.

Sounds true to me.

I saw some very nice purse dogs at the rescue.

Can't say I think much about people who say animals have no souls.

I think THEY have no souls so cannot judge properly

I think this is the general experience in much of the USA.

One person who posted here was quoted $1200 for a pup but when she said she wanted it for working her small flock, the price was dropped to $600. In that case, I don't think the breeder was doing a farmer a favor as much as just looking to move another puppy from another litter as quickly as possible, and experience told the breeder that farmers don't pay the same prices sporters are willing to pay.

Just wanted to add that this has not been my experience at all. Working-bred (true working-bred) pups I know of go for about $500-$800. Sports-bred dogs go for $1,000-$2,500 (often requiring co-ownership).

I'm not sure what you mean by you being "lucky" because dogs of all sorts are sold through newspaper ads, but I'm sure it's not lucky for the dogs. Along with Craigslist and pet shops, newspaper ads are just another outlet for backyard breeders. oops breedings, and even puppy mills (or breeding bitches that are farmed out to "associates" of the big-volume breeders and puppy mills).

And I have to wonder how many "free to good home" dogs end up as bait dogs. :(

20-30 years ago I could see getting a puppy from a newspaper ad. Now? Nope. Good breeders have plenty of word of mouth contacts and other outlets to annouce their litters while still being able to screen prospective homes instead of selling them to whoever has the money. Not that all newspaper advertisers always do that, but a majority do. As far as cost goes, with the 2 dogs that I've now gotten directly from their breeder (Kipp was a breeder return), the purchase price was approached as almost an afterthought for both sides. We discussed the dog/breeding/potential/my plans/etc and then it was like "oh, yeah and the cost is..." They were most concerned that the dog ended up in a suitable home.