BC Boards

Illi opoas Muscle Pulled

scullywags

I use Traumeel tablets. I'm not sure about dealing with chronic iliopsoas injuries, but I know for acute injuries it is VERY important not to stretch too early in the healing process or you can cause microtears.

I wouldn't worry about not being near a water rehab facility. That's really just a bonus for me because I have access to one, it's not a necessary part of the rehab. I think rest, anti-inflammatories and laser were the main things helping Wick heal.

There used to be a NC Agility yahoo list; that may be a good place to ask where to go. Or check with Carson Crazies.

Personally, I'd highly recommened Regina Schwabe in VA (www.wellpaws.com). She's probably closer than the SC vet and she'll show you exactly what you need to do at home. She's also very reasonably priced. Her practice is built on giving people at-home plans and exercises, not requiring you to come to her clinic. So it might be what you need. She does have Saturday appointments, but those usually go quickly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Regina. I'm a vet in Galax, VA, which is about 5mi from the NC border, but I am in the beginning stages of my rehab training. I could help you out if we have a little extra input from someone who is more experienced :) However, I think I know how Regina treats these injuries, in general. Your dog's case sounds more severe than the ones I've seen, though.

I could help you with stretches and exercises, when the time comes. I do not have an underwater treadmill (streams can replace these and are free) but do have some other stuff.

I'd also *really* highly recommend Univ of Tennessee. Depending on where you are in NC, it's not that far (closer than Regina, probably), and 100% worth it. The Rehab department there is top-notch.

Another vote for Regina. I'm a vet in Galax, VA, which is about 5mi from the NC border, but I am in the beginning stages of my rehab training. I could help you out if we have a little extra input from someone who is more experienced :) However, I think I know how Regina treats these injuries, in general. Your dog's case sounds more severe than the ones I've seen, though.

I could help you with stretches and exercises, when the time comes. I do not have an underwater treadmill (streams can replace these and are free) but do have some other stuff.

I'd also *really* highly recommend Univ of Tennessee. Depending on where you are in NC, it's not that far (closer than Regina, probably), and 100% worth it. The Rehab department there is top-notch.

thank you for responding

i just heard back from my diagnosing vet that they can get him recovered if i bring him and let him stay at the rehab place for a month and pay 150 a day mind you shes discounting it from her normal 215

a day and offered me this "deal" if I leave him for 2 weeks that i pay for they will let him stay 2 more weeks at no cost

so my part is $2030.00 I have already spent $1324.00 at her place this is not including the 600 or so on laser stuff here

I hate to do this but there is no way i can afford to do that

how sad i have to put price on his health

i think i will call regina and ask her maybe i can work that out

I think you will really like Regina's prices. Even taking into account the gas to drive up there, it's still a great deal. And she's just phenomenal. I see her whenever I drive back east (in fact just made an appt for this summmer!).

i think even with the cost i feel like i should not have to beg for answers i know that drs cannot guarantee anything but i want to know steps 1 thru 10 upfront

coming in everyday looking at him like this is killing me and the guilt of not doing the best i can for him i would be a smuck

but my flip side is heres my dog 6 months from now hurt again .......oh so many questions i will be calling regina today

I'm sorry Scullywags, I talked to my friend and I was way off. Her dog is having Platelet rich plasma injected into the muscle tear. He is suffering from scar tissue where the tear healed.

They are ultra sounding the dog for placement of the injection and then to see if they can tell any difference after a week of the injection. And yes they said could tell the difference. So they did not do another injection. If this fails to work they are going to do surgery and actually cut the scar tissue so that the dog won't be as tight. After this long the dog does have an affected gait but he doesn't seem to get that lame from everyday life but trying to work him on stock will stiffen him up by the end of the day.

If you want more info I can get her email address and you can contact her directly.

Good luck

I'm sorry Scullywags, I talked to my friend and I was way off. Her dog is having Platelet rich plasma injected into the muscle tear. He is suffering from scar tissue where the tear healed.

They are ultra sounding the dog for placement of the injection and then to see if they can tell any difference after a week of the injection. And yes they said could tell the difference. So they did not do another injection. If this fails to work they are going to do surgery and actually cut the scar tissue so that the dog won't be as tight. After this long the dog does have an affected gait but he doesn't seem to get that lame from everyday life but trying to work him on stock will stiffen him up by the end of the day.

If you want more info I can get her email address and you can contact her directly.

Good luck

Its called PRP I know all about that stuff cool thanks

yes if you get the scar tissue thats what dooms the dog for further issue and my findings are mixed on the best treatment for keeping it at bay .

Horse medical care has come eons in the lst 10 years lets hope that holds true for small animals the options are there but few drs use them so obtaining the care is still not as easy as it is for horses

I think you will really like Regina's prices. Even taking into account the gas to drive up there, it's still a great deal. And she's just phenomenal. I see her whenever I drive back east (in fact just made an appt for this summmer!).

Regina is not taking new clients

she did say she would try to find me a referral and that laser was sufficent for treating this injury

but no more info than that

so my frustraion is SOMEBODY tell me details I told her i would pay for a consult but to no avail

wahhhhhhhhh

This web pagehas a pretty good overview of the rehab process for both acute and chronic injuries.

As for the actual exercises that you'll need to do & when you can start doing various exercises, it's really dependant on how well your dog progresses. It really does sound like you need to find a rehab vet, rather than a general vet. I had to drive an hour each way to find someone who specilized in rehab for sports injuries. It sounds like you may have an even longer drive, but it was completely worth it. You might check to see if you have any vet schools relatively near you to see if they have anyone or can refer you.

This web pagehas a pretty good overview of the rehab process for both acute and chronic injuries.

As for the actual exercises that you'll need to do & when you can start doing various exercises, it's really dependant on how well your dog progresses. It really does sound like you need to find a rehab vet, rather than a general vet. I had to drive an hour each way to find someone who specilized in rehab for sports injuries. It sounds like you may have an even longer drive, but it was completely worth it. You might check to see if you have any vet schools relatively near you to see if they have anyone or can refer you.

I have that info thanks key is finding a new dr and getting so me answers the DMV that does my laser like to fell over when i told her what they wanted to do with him

I am about done with the entire thing to be honest hes 3 legged today and not one time has he made some wrong move i know of who knows sorry to all of you for being the drama queen i just and pissed that 9 weeks later i cannot get solid answers

Def. makes you wonder.

My friend spent about 3+ years continuing to search out answers for rehabbing her dog with the same issue.

I always wondered if at one point she was throwing good money after bad.

My Mick has tons of issues, I don't think this is one, but he has his good days and his bad. Her dog seems to be better than Mick on even a good day.

I let Mick do what he can and when he needs rest he basically puts himself out or I see he needs less activity that day and keep him inside.

Could you just rest him, figure out what home based rehab would/could keep the scar tissue from getting to bad and give him and you some time to just chill? I kept thinking all my friend was doing was more or less just keeping the injury aggravated.

I'm no expert but unless this platelet rich plasma is a miracle, I haven't seen much difference in my friends dog and he seems to live a pretty good life. His biggest issue after all this time is that when he sits he likes to push his back up on something for support, you wouldn't notice unless she points it out. That and he doesn't use the affected leg when going down steps. He works ducks sometimes but she doens't let him work sheep as he has no low or slow gear. Training issue but he's sort of a train wreck on his own body when working sheep. She is not devistated by the stockwork, she has other dogs and does other venues with him. Not agility of course.

There are money decisions that unfortunately have to be made, don't beat yourself up if that's where you are for now. As long as you're not letting him do further damage I think you could pick up in a month or so and see where you're at then.

Good luck.

I found a list of canine rehab vets in North Carolina. Perhaps someone will be close enough to work out for you.

I printed the list today and planned to call around since i am not int he office Friday they may be open

I did get a bit of a boost the DVM thats doing my laser has a friend and DVM in Chicago that does rehab and is going to send my ultra sound photos to her and we have a therapuetic ultrasound on the way so i can drop him off each day and get him treated and pick him up after work

This DVM said she was willing to do to expand her knowledge and would work with me to find the a plan and get him on track

However I am going to see if I can get atleast second opinion from the rehab list

yes I am OCD I am grasping and thank you all again for pitching in

You may think this is crazy the DVM thats doing my laser had long talk today she is willing to help me ordered therapy ultrasound machine we should have early next week we are going to treat him 5 days a week and she laserand she is looking for others vets to consult with on the excercise timelines and proper ones to do if you would consider her contacting you I think she wants to gather all the info she can and then we use him as the guinea pig it may take longer he may only be pet sound but if it makes him painless and helps other dogs in the future with the knowledge she gains I am happy with that today his pain was awfully high anyway I am on a mission thank you all again for the contacts and info you have given we are going to make him feel better and not be in hock over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Emily wanted to say THANK YOU for trying to help me out been getting therapy US and will Do a dianostic US next week to see how things look hes tracking much better and his personality is coming back so he has to be feeling better paws crossed its going well

Your kindess did not go unoticed I was just flipping over his pain level and all the uncertainy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am updating this incase it helps anyone else

We are at week 14 getting therapy ultrasound 3 times a week

less crate time more hand walking and laser 1 time per week

using Respond system pulse bed 2 times per day at 30 minutes each

also was put on some herbs for tendons ligaments

upped the protein content in his diet and we get diagnostic US on Thursday to see how it looks inside

I can say from the outside he has no more roach to the back

bearing weight and able to stand on either side to hock his leg for urination

stride is longer more consistant

his eyes are bright and he is getting more like his old self

I feel confident hes going to recoup and be healthy

I plan on more rest and lots of rehab exercise and strict fitness program from this point on

to lessen the chance of reoccurance but am joyful he feels better

was killing me to see him in pain and depressed.

Thank you again to all the wonderful folks on this board for your input.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Does anyone have experience with a very young dog with an Iliopsoas strain? Any videos of what the gait looks like? I’ve been watching my new girl Faith in the yard. When she is walking or full out running her gait appears normal. However trotting, I can see a bit of a hitch in her giddyup (rear left leg). She will occasionally miss a step or you can just barely notice that she is not fully extending the leg. We are going to the vet on Monday. But in the meantime I am obsessing. I dread Faith needing long term rehab and keeping an 11 month old quiet for four months. I especially dread getting my husband on board. Grrrr…

PS- Since I’ve noticed the odd gait I’ve been limiting her activity. I don’t want an injury today to plague her for the rest of her life.

Thanks!!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

Does anyone have experience with a very young dog with an Iliopsoas strain? Any videos of what the gait looks like? I’ve been watching my new girl Faith in the yard. When she is walking or full out running her gait appears normal. However trotting, I can see a bit of a hitch in her giddyup (rear left leg). She will occasionally miss a step or you can just barely notice that she is not fully extending the leg. We are going to the vet on Monday. But in the meantime I am obsessing. I dread Faith needing long term rehab and keeping an 11 month old quiet for four months. I especially dread getting my husband on board. Grrrr…

PS- Since I’ve noticed the odd gait I’ve been limiting her activity. I don’t want an injury today to plague her for the rest of her life.

Thanks!!

I don't think you should overly concern yourself that this is due to any one particular thing until you are able to see the vet and let him/her thoroughly exam Faith to try and find out what is causing the irregularity in gait. These dogs are very stoic and one reason you may not be seeing a problem at the run is that they will often exert themselves or work right through pain. When my Celt was experiencing his torn ACL, you could not tell if he was "occupied" either with working the cattle or playing hard. You could see that he was "off" in his gait when he was not exerting himself (walking or trotting or even standing).

So, first, I'd suggest you get a diagnosis and a plan from your vet before you overly worry about it being any one particular injury. How you will deal with this is going to be dependent on what it actually is. Between now and then, I would suggest leash walks only, restricted movement in the house (crating, use of an xpen) and avoidance of playing or any opportunity for "explosive" movements. I would think that, if she isn't in too much discomfort, that a good bit of walking might be very good for her, keeping her occupied and exercised but in a low-key, low-impact way. Remember, too, that keeping her mentally occupied is just as or more important than physically exercised.

The use of frozen/stuffed Kongs in her crate will keep her busy; gentle training exercises like loose-leash walking and heeling; games (like a doggie version of the shell game, for instance); and other activities that will help her stay gently exercised and mentally exercised.

Very best wishes!

PS - The sooner you can have her seen, the better, since the vet will not only endeavor to diagnose the problem and outline a treatment plan, but may also determine to use an anti-inflammatory medication that will help her feel more comfortable and may also promote healing.

PPS - A friend, whose dog also had a TPLO for a torn ACL (like my dog, Celt, did) explained the need for following the rest and rehab protocol to her husband in this way - "If she gets hurt because you let her overdo it, you are going to have to pay for it." She received his total cooperation once she'd explained that to him.

And one more PPPS - Another injury that could cause an uneven gait or favoring a hind leg, is a strain, partial tear, or tear of the Cranial Cruciate Ligament (which many people call the ACL or Anterior Cruciate Ligament) in the knee joint of the hind leg. A description of the symptoms and what we observed when Celt injured his is found here.

What I would suggest looking for is "toe-touching". On standing, the dog extends the injured leg further back than the sound leg, and touches the ground or floor with the toes rather than resting his/her weight on the foot pad and toes. You can also observe this by comparing the wear on the toe and foot pads of the two hind feet - there are pictures in that topic illustrating this. This is a very typical symptom of an ACL tear or strain.

And yet another thought - Celt did also have an illiopsoas injury (probably a bruise or strain) during the rehab for his TPLO, when I tripped and fell walking him in the dark, and either hit him when I fell or he pulled that muscle in moving to avoid me. For him, it took about a month or five weeks to recover from that, and we just reduced his in-house and walking rehab exercises for a few weeks until he was able to increase back to his previous level of work.

(No one has ever accused me of being brief...)