BC Boards

Larkalicious! and Blurr too...

juliepoudrier

I went over to Tony's this morning to work on Lark's nonexistent penning skills--since I entered her in a trial coming up in a couple of weeks--and took the camera along. It turns out I couldn't really work on penning *and* take pictures, so I don't have any of that activity. I did get a few of Lark working the bigger flock before we recombined them with the sheep I was using for penning practice and the lambs (we even did a shed or two, thanks to the lambs conveniently splitting--yay! Lark). Anyway, the quality of the photos is rather poor and some are quite blurry (no pun intended), but I'm posting them anyway. I think the camera was having a hard time adjusting to the speed and the contrast between shade and sun. I know I couldn't even really see the LCD--was just pointing, shooting, and hoping for the best!

Drum roll please!

Lark working the ewes:

100_0832.jpg

100_0840_edited.jpg

100_0834_edited.jpg

Lark working the just-weaned lambs (note the "devil eyes"):

100_0841_edited.jpg

Pulling them off the fence (sorry couldn't get the lambs in the frame too, but note in the background that very alert cheviot x ewe who has noticed Lark):

100_0839_edited.jpg

Pulling them off the fence, part deux:

100_0838_edited.jpg

Relaxing at home:

100_0813.jpg

Here's Blurr, Tony's pro-novice dog. She's a nice one! Unfortunately many of the pics I took of her this morning didn't come out well either. So prepare for some blurry photos of Blurr. :rolleyes:

Tony telling Blurr to quit leaning on the sheep:

100_0814_edited.jpg

Blurr in action (note who's watching from the peanut gallery):

100_0830_edited.jpg

100_0829_edited.jpg

100_0828_edited.jpg

100_0825_edited.jpg

100_0822_edited.jpg

100_0820_edited.jpg

100_0819_edited.jpg

J.

A couple of shots of the sheep (the ones with more upright ears are tunis x border cheviot and everything else is purebred tunis):

100_0823.jpg

Having spied Larky on the other side of the fence:

100_0824.jpg

And a couple of shots of Miss Phoebe Jeebies:

100_0812.jpg

100_0811.jpg

I have to say, that working dogs first thing in the morning is a great way to achieve a good attitude before trudging off to work (or the home office, in my case....). :rolleyes:

J.

Those turned out pretty nice! I love the shot of Lark & lambs & fence part 1 & 2. Blurr :rolleyes: . Definately some devil eyes, but I think you're right about the light/shade contrast being the issue. Really, they're nice anyway. I love the first shot of Lark off to the side, nice perspective.

Ooh, very nice! Not only do I love to look at her in general, but I especially love to see Lark working some sheep! She's marvelous. Blurr is awesome, too. And lastly, Phoebe is too cute, looking a little impish there. :rolleyes:

I have developed a serious case of Lark envy. Those smooth tris with big radar ears are my favorite :rolleyes:

How long did it take you to develop that? I have had it forever! Although, she comes after Twist.

RDM

Oh, Lark!! She is so gorgeous (especially when she's working sheep). :rolleyes: Her ears are still wonderful, too. :D The pictures were terrific (even the blurry ones). Blurr is a wonderful looking dog, too. I really like the the first picture of Lark.

Hey Robin,

I was just getting ready to you to come on down here! I sent my entry into the VBCA trial but typed one up because I couldn't find the newsletter. So I called Debbie for the entry fees and she forgot to tell me only two dogs with any others under a separate check. So I entered three on one check. I guess if I can just run two, Larky might not get a go. But she still needs practice time as we are doing Dean's benefit trial and since at the pen she really, really wants to head the sheep, even when those heads are pointing to and walking into the pen (which is where a nice OFF-balance flank would be handy....).

I've got grass envy of Tony's one field. He said the ewes ate it down to next to nothing, but you can see in the pictures how nicely it's come back. He's also cleared a section behind that, and we've been thinking of ways to use that for a trial. The outrun wouldn't be terribly long, but with the hills, etc., it would be nice and tricky!

Anyway, I'll definitely try to take you up on your offer--Lark especially needs to go as many places as possible, and you have sheep I can work the pups on too. I'll get up with you (and Tony) on when would be a good time and we'll make a road trip. But you still need to come down here too. You've got Tony's beautiful sheep you can work, and then you can come by here and work the motley flock....

In the meantime, I guess I really better get cracking on Lark's flanks and lie down.

J.

Deb,

The cool thing about Blurr is that she had been sold as a pup into what was basically a pet home. I think the owners had planned to do agility with her or something. Anyway, they ended up not being able to keep her, so she came back to the breeder as a young adult and that's when Tony got her. And she's looks like she might end up being his best working dog.

J.

That grass looks like someone's lawn! Very pretty.

We should have talked about this sooner, it sounds like tomorrow is actually going to be a decent weather day with not so much humidity.

I heard entries for the Open were pretty low at the VBCA trial. I hope not, i'm hoping there are some points there to try for with Zac-boy.

Anyway, if you want to get it together quick, i'm home tomorrow with a free day and free sheep! I was planning on picking up rocks and hacking at weeds, but i guess i can draaaaaag myself away from that. :rolleyes:

Tony sounded pretty excited about Blur, i'm looking forward to seeing her.

How long did it take you to develop that? I have had it forever! Although, she comes after Twist.

RDM

At least someone besides me loves Miss Twist. :rolleyes: Tony, Mary, and I were just talking this morning about how they were going to have to seriously expand their dog limit if something should ever happen to me. Mary is to get Twist and Tony wants Lark so he can have a matching brace with Maid (one rough, one smooth, both tiny tris). Funny how no one is jumping up and waving their arms to get Pip (who is not a poser)....

J.

Very nice photo's :D I especially like this one - working but still watching you :D

Well, she's actually looking at the sheep, who were behind me (I had stepped between to try and get the pictures). Notice how she's leaning in--she's putting pressure on the sheep even as she flanks.

Which one is Pip on your siggy?

The great white whale with the black "Pope's hat" ears... (second from the left on the bottom) :rolleyes:

Hey, I like Twist, too! She is, after all, the revered mother of the Ravenette. :rolleyes:

Good pics, as usual (I think my fave is the devil eyes, for some reason - don't ask me), and VERY cool that Blurr got returned and is working out so well despite a "late" start. That's rather interesting.

Ah man...see what happens when you work too much on a Friday and can't even look at the boards...and a post that you were notified about!!!!

I wish I could come out to Robin's but it is 10 minutes to 8 am now and there is that thing about me driving long distances by myself!!!!

Hope you all had fun!!! Great pictures Julie - I do love those sheep and dogs!!!