BC Boards

Puppy Ears

I was at an agility trial a few weeks ago and there was the cutest little Shetland Sheepdog puppy. I was petting him and he had something crusty on his ears and head. I soon realized that it was glue to set his ears!

Here is my pup with her inside out ear:

post-16122-0-43079800-1408587753_thumb.jpg

post-16122-0-89073600-1408587754_thumb.jpg

Would it be silly to have her wear a headband? :lol:

As much as I love prick ears, it's not something I would do, either.

I am coming to love Bandit's variable flying nuns that he can raise up when he wants to. I actually think I would love it if they stayed that way and he were able to continue to do that.

But I know it can still change at this point.

If I had my say I would ask Gidget to have her ears up with the tips turned down just a bit, but I don't think she would do anything more then look at me with that head tilted confused look. My grand puppy has one ear that does that most of the time it is so adorable.

^^ Yep. I was kinda amusedly upset when Tansy's ears looked like they were going to be a total flop, and I joked to everyone that I was going to tape them to try to get them to stand at least partly up, but it was all a jest . . . even though I would have been thrilled if they'd gone up. (I love prick ears.)

I think that's pretty much typical for border collies, and some other breeds. I've never known a border collie who doesn't do that. Just another thing I love about them; it's so expressive the ways they use those ears.

Huh. My Kipp had his ears totally up 90% of the time. He'd only lay them back when he was super stressed, after heavy exercise or greeting a family member. A little early to tell yet with Kolt, but he seems to be the same way so far - very much like GSD or ACD ears.

This is one of the problems I have with conformation showing. If pricked ears are natural/normal and they can't get them by breeding for them, then what's the point of making them something they're not? That defies the whole "logic" of breeding to a standard and picking the winners from dogs who best meet the standard! It's that very craziness that drives me nuts about conformation showing (across species as well) and the crap they spout about standards, etc.

J.

Most shelties and collies have prick ears naturally and they are taped or glued to get the tipped look.

When I was first learning about BCs, before I knew anything about the AKC controversy and all the evils thereof, I was looking at websites and came across one that listed their ridiculously complicated process for sewing up the ears to get the perfect ear set. All puppies ears were set this way, regardless of what they were going to be used for. I thought then that that was pretty freaky for a breed that is supposedly natural. Now that I know more, I find it positively disturbing!!

post-16418-0-42489300-1408777458_thumb.jpgpost-16418-0-92610100-1408777468_thumb.jpgpost-16418-0-06213600-1408777478_thumb.jpg

These are Rocket's relaxed triangle ear poses. He spends a lot of time with the tips of his ears touching. He does this any time he is curious, listening to me, or trying to figure something out. I wish I had a picture of his intense listening pose - his ears are almost touching at the base. I see this most often when I am walking behind him. From the back his ears look like a solid triangle with the inner sides touching. I see this when he is very intent on some new smell or sound on our walks. Most often he just touches the tips of his ears together and cocks his head from side to side.

I was talking to a group of kids about his ears yesterday. I'm still socializing him. This was a group of about 15 kids all circled around him helping me to show him that people mean love. They kept exclaiming "I saw it!! He looks like a unicorn!" :P

I love my unicorn pup. :wub:

I'm curioius about the story too! I keep checking back to see if its been shared yet. :)

I wonder if Rocket and Phoebe are related in some way? Maybe it is a family quirk?

We went on an easy Waterfall hike yesterday. We met a lot of people - everyone loves a puppy! A few did comment on Rocket's triangle ear pose and asked if that was normal. I'm not sure, but I know it is normal for him! He does it a lot and it sure catches attention. Maybe it helps him hear better? Rocket does wear his ears in a relaxed puppy way too. I couldn't resist throwing in a couple of waterfall pictures because our hike with Rocket was so fun! This time I managed to take a couple of pictures of the triangle-pose from the back, although it was tough to catch and photograph while continuing to hike. Anytime I tried to intentionally get a picture from the back he kept turning around to look at me to say "lets' go mom!"

Puppies are so cute and fun!

post-16418-0-39384900-1408924127_thumb.jpg

post-16418-0-44997900-1408924153_thumb.jpg

post-16418-0-06407000-1408924211_thumb.jpg

post-16418-0-14461700-1408924243_thumb.jpg

post-16418-0-44462900-1408924523_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifears1.jpgattachicon.gifears2.jpgattachicon.gifears3.jpg

These are Rocket's relaxed triangle ear poses.

Too cute! It looks like he has magnets in the tips.

I've decided I like the mystery of what Rook's ears will look like when he's all grown up. He's 10 weeks now and they are just starting to perk up a bit, especially when he's really interested in something.

image-1.jpg

I love the ticking on your dog Julie! I think Rook's will get even darker and look similar to that when he's an adult.