BC Boards

Puppy Ears

At what age are a puppy's ears set? My Natasha has ears that are all over the place and I keep wondering at what point will her ears settle into their permanent position. I really love the changing ears except when they are inside-out. I look at my puppy and think, "Anything except inside-out".

attachment=10866:DSC00043.JPG]

post-16122-0-23693200-1408252353_thumb.jpg

I guess I need to stop worrying. Natasha is my first BC and I guess I am used to my GSDs who have their ears set by 4-6 months. I really love the changing ears, they are a continual source of amusement as they switch between styles. Sometimes they change hourly! :D

My girl's moods are in her ears.

Airplane ears when she's flat. Prick ears when she's happy. Half and half when she's goofy.

My fondest memory is of watching her trying to catch the little girl next door when she was 8 weeks old. Her little ears were flapping in the wind and even though I love the classic look of nice pointy ears, there's something endearing about the airplane look.

Usually by 10 or 12 months they are set, but some dogs "decide" much earlier or much later. One dog I owned had airplane ears for many, many years. Then when he turned 8 years old he decided they should go up, and he became prick eared.

I've been wondering what Bandit is going to "decide".

He seems pretty set on these flying nun style airplanes!! But he seems to be able to stick them up at will - one or the other, or both!!!

So, who knows?

DSCN1209_zps10252e66.jpg

Phoebe can stand hers up whenever she wants, but one tends to stay airplane unless something greatly interests her. I think that may be typical of at least some airplane eared dogs, at least those who are half (up) and half (airplane)!

Even mine who had prick ears at a very young age will often go around with their ears laid back....

J.

Quinn's ears settled after he finished teething. Usually one, sometimes both of his airplane ears will go up when he is intent on something. When I took him to sheep lessons, I noticed it was always the ear closest to the trainer that was standing up. When he is uncertain, his ears flatten back in what I call his Anxious Polar Bear look.

My male dog's ears were inside out (tips backward) for the longest time. I thought (same as you) "anything but inside out." I'm convinced they were like that because he ran so much, so constantly, that the wind blew them that way!!! Eventually they settled on prick ears. My female has changing ears. Sometimes airplane, sometimes like a Jack Russell, at age 4years, they are still changable depending on her mood. My previous male had rose ears, my previous female had airplane ears until the age of 7 years, then, they decided to become prick ears. Like everything else, Border Collies do things their own way!!! :D

I like whatever ears they come with as they are expressive on their own, BUT...

I was at an agility trial this past weekend and met another handler who had a puppy about the same age as Kiefer. As it was towards the end of the day and the crowds had dispersed, we had an empty space to let our two pups play. I noticed that she had put some sort of moleskin contraption on his ears in order to train them into prick ears. She said there was no surgery involved, only gluing moleskin. I really didn't want to hear more so let the matter drop.

I like whatever ears they come with as they are expressive on their own, BUT...

I was at an agility trial this past weekend and met another handler who had a puppy about the same age as Kiefer. As it was towards the end of the day and the crowds had dispersed, we had an empty space to let our two pups play. I noticed that she had put some sort of moleskin contraption on his ears in order to train them into prick ears. She said there was no surgery involved, only gluing moleskin. I really didn't want to hear more so let the matter drop.

ran across this a few years back when i was first looking for a pup

http://lockeyebc.com/info.html#ears

and there was another post about it http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=35369

Interesting thread. I notice Gidgets ears tend to go with her mood. Sometimes up, other times more on the down side, now and then one will flop up. Its cute. I don't know where they will end up, I would guess the half flop, not sure what the correct name for this would be. the longer we have her the more her body, fur and ears are changing. Her fur is starting to grow and feather around her legs belly and head, she has this adorable little bit of fur that hangs down under her belly. Her spots are changing too.

^^ Yep. I was kinda amusedly upset when Tansy's ears looked like they were going to be a total flop, and I joked to everyone that I was going to tape them to try to get them to stand at least partly up, but it was all a jest . . . even though I would have been thrilled if they'd gone up. (I love prick ears.)

Even mine who had prick ears at a very young age will often go around with their ears laid back....

I think that's pretty much typical for border collies, and some other breeds. I've never known a border collie who doesn't do that. Just another thing I love about them; it's so expressive the ways they use those ears.