BC Boards

Puppy piddling when meeting new people or very excited?

ljcygnet

Anyone have any words of wisdom regarding my four month old bc/mcnabb mix, who piddles when he meets new people or gets extremely excited?

It doesn't help that he's cute and friendly and everyone wants to make a huge fuss over him. I have a hard time, when out in public with him, keeping random people from fussing all over him. And then we have a puddle ...

He knows sit/down/etc fairly reliably and I've tried asking him to "sit/stay" and asking people to just give him a pat or ignore him as he's "in training" but they're always surprised to see an obviously young puppy so obedient, and they make a huge fuss over him anyway, and then he breaks his stay and goes into a frenzy of wiggling and jumping and ... whiz happens. Arrggghh.

I've tried being blunt. "He'll pee on you! Please don't pet him."

Doesn't help.

I'm not sure how to deal with random strangers who won't respect my request to either leave the dog alone or just give him a quick pat and then ignore him. Particularly when they're warned it's because he will PEE if excited.

It's not submissive peeing, as far as I can tell -- he's just an excitable puppy with an immature bladder. He doesn't accidently piddle much at home (and has been housebroken since he was two months old! I got lucky there ...) -- only if neighbors he doesn't know come over, or if I get him too revved up when he's got a full bladder.

I had the same problem with my pup when she was younger. I trained her to pee on command, and had her empty out before we entered any (pet friendly) stores. That worked great. Now she's a year old, and seems to have outgrown it, as I don't tell her to pee anymore, and she doesn't have an accident when she meets the people in the store.

Finley outgrew it, except for half a dozen people he knew from when he was a wee pup. If they start the high pitched fussing at him they can still elicit a pee. We always tell them no eye contact and no high pitched talking to him... if they choose to ignore us, well it's their shoes! :)

Several of my dogs did the "happy piddle" as puppies. I just had them meet new people outside and ignored it. I also increased taking them places to meet lots of new people (outside.) If someone got their shoes "watered" oh, well, puppies are puppies. Mine outgrew it with physical maturity and lots of socialization.

• 2 weeks later...