BC Boards

Airplanes, travelling with your dog

Hello, everyone! We are going to take a plane in a few days, the flight will last 2,5 hours. I was wondering if anyone has traveled with his/her BC by plane and if so what should we look out for or how can we make it the less stressful for the dog. (I was planning to ask the steward to make sure that the temperature in the hold is being under control) Out vet gave me an advice not to give her any meds as they can backfire and make her even more stressed. I was thinking about a DAP spray or collar but our neighbor's BC had no effect from it what so ever... I am going to put my t-shirt into her kennel and her blanky as well as her favorite toy but I think she will not care about any of them. I was also wondering if we should put water inside the kennel as it's only 2,5 hours and I am afraid that it will spill (and she does not drink when she is stressed, I have to drop treats into the bowl with the water to make her drink if she is all edgy). So here, we have to take the plane in a few days but I am already all nervous... I will be thankful for any advice! :)

I have travelled by plane with a BC many times. Most times it was pretty simple and straightforward. Yes, the dog was stressed a little and anxious by the time we got where we were going, but no long term or health issues.

I did have a dog that was more anxious than most and I soundproofed his crate before we travelled (as best as I could) which had the added benefit of making it more den-like.

My advice is not to feed the dog within a few hours of travel, to make sure it gets plenty of water before the stress begins and, above all else, don't try and comfort or coddle it before the fact - that just tells them they ought to be stressed :)

One dog I had was particularly unhappy about plane travel and I found that taking him to the airport a few hours before we had to do anything "official" and letting him wander about and sniff out the place made it better.

Good luck!

Edited by Catherine Jamieson

Your dog will be fine without water for a few hours. And, yeah, I wouldn't feed her for at least a few hours prior either. She'll be fine without it, and quite possibly better off without it.

Be sure to check the airline's instructions about transporting dogs. You may not be able to put all that stuff in with her.

Dear Ms. Ka,

I second Ms. Gentle Lake's advice: Do check the airline regs especially proper crate, food and water containers (attached to the door.)

If you haven't, make a separate reservation for the dog. Not all aircraft have air-conditioned holds but if you've booked the dog, your flight will have AC.

I'm surprised you can fly during the summer. Most airlines embargo dogs flying as excess baggage during the hot months. I believe (on scant evidence) - dogs can travel air cargo throughout the year.

Donald McCaig

Thank you all for your replies! :) About flying in summer - I guess it may have something to do with the place where we are headed - it's Latvia, northern Europe, so it's not hot there, though we are leaving from Italy. I have called the company and the airport more than once and asked them the same questions over and over (I think they hate me already! :D ). They are the only ones transporting animals from Italy to Latvia (other companies use their planes). We had to reserve the place for Coco as the places for animals are limited. The company told me that the water may or may not be given to the dog (depending on the owner's decision), the kennel should be appropriate for the dog so there are no size restrictions. About putting stuff inside I guess if there is any trouble with the extra blanket (a small one) I will take it out. My mom's cousin works at the airport (the one in Latvia) and he handles baggage. He calmed me a bit by telling me that the workers of the airport are very good with animals there and that I should not worry at least for her being treated bad.

Now we are getting ready, we finally got her passport ready today and I have added a sticker on the kennel with all the info about the dog, the owner and the destination. I also added her name on both sides of the kennel in big letters.

About feeding her, she eats once a day in the evening so her feeding time coincides with when we will get home (maybe an hour later). So feeding is not a problem. I am also planning to get her tired by going to the park for some hours in the morning (as we leave from home at midday). She is doing well with trains and buses so I hope she won't be air-sick. I think at this point one of the things I am scared by the most is the fact that Co may be flied somewhere else. I would most certainly freak out then. I think of asking the stewardess to check if the dog is on board before we leave and if the climate control is on in the hold where she will be placed.