BC Boards

Boarding

When looking for a place to "kennel" your dog while your away, what do you look for? What types of questions should I be asking?

I have visited one place so far and did not like it. They charge $31 for an over night stay and then another $31 if not picked up by 10am next day. They also do not have play time outside the kennel unless you pay extra which I do not understand.

On Saturday I am going to look at this place http://www.weymouthdogshop.com/index.html. They want to give me a tour and then if im comfortable they would like Willow to stay for a day (free of charge) to make sure it is right for her. It's only $25 for an over night stay and they only keep them in the kennels to eat and sleep. the rest of the time they are playing outside which I love.

I feel really bad kenneling Willow while im away but it seems to be my only option.

Thanks everyone :)

They want to give me a tour and then if im comfortable they would like Willow to stay for a day (free of charge) to make sure it is right for her. It's only $25 for an over night stay and they only keep them in the kennels to eat and sleep. the rest of the time they are playing outside which I love.

I feel really bad kenneling Willow while im away but it seems to be my only option.

Thanks everyone :)

$25 sounds reasonable for a doggie daycare type place. Our hospitals have kennels and charge $20/night for the largest dogs but we don't have a play area - just an exercise yard where dogs get turned out 3X a day.

It sounds like the second place has a good, open attitude and the stay free for a day is a good idea. I would caution though that if they allow dogs to play together that someone is watching them constantly and seem knowledgeable about how to read signs if a fight is about to occur. I have seen extremely nasty injuries due doggie daycare type situations where the dogs weren't screened or watched properly for dog aggression.

Most boarding facilities do a pricing structure where there is a base price and then several add-ons you can choose from. Not everyone wants the same boarding experience for their dogs. I, for one, will not use a doggy daycare or "cageless" kind of place, where that might be what you're looking for. As was already pointed out, make sure there is screening and supervision for any strange dog interaction.

Most facilities will have their policies and prices spelled out very clearly. As far as what else to ask, I'd want to know when the facility is unmanned, how long between last night potty and first morning potty, is bedding provided, is food provided? I'd want a place where I can bring my own food. Above all else though, I'd go visit to tour the facility.

My personal policy is to never use a facility that lets my dogs co-mingle with other dogs. I have no desire to have my dogs interact with strange dogs without me being there to supervise. Not only do I not want to have to worry about scuffles or injuries, but nor do I want my dogs potentially picking up something from a strange dog.

I realize that many, many people use doggy daycare facilities and are obviously fine with these things -- But it is not my personal choice.

I am fortunate to have family to care for my dogs when needed the majority of the time, but on the rare instance where boarding is necessary (such as when the whole family is traveling together), there is only one local facility that I will even consider using. Unfortunately for the three dogs it's almost $100/day.... But I at least know and trust that they are getting the care I paid for, which includes lots of time outdoors in large fenced runs, individual play time and large private suites with beds & television sets. :D

Here's our place, although we haven't had to use it for some time now:

http://www.k9countrylodge.com/

It says a lot that I was able to trust them with my Klee Kai.... I don't trust anyone with him. He's "quirky." :lol:

There are a lot of boarding places in this area that operate like one of the cruddy shelters -- They have a small indoor (cement) space with a door to a small outdoor (cement) pad. And that is how they are kept for their entire stay. Uhhhh. No thanks. I'd stay home before leaving my dogs in one of those places.

it really depends on what "you" want. the place you describe sounds like where I work, which is where I leave my dogs, and I love it and the dogs love it. the format really helps destress a lot of dogs(OTH for some dogs its more stressful) the general things I would be looking at are cleanliness(a kennel should not "smell" like a kennel, we can have 165 dogs at my kennel and not smell bad, it isn't hard), friendly knowledgeable staff, how do they handle dogs that dont get along tc..

Another consideration: climate control

I use a place that has no AC, just fans. They are a bit in the mountains which means they are a few degrees cooler than where I live. I am fine with that arrangement, but I have a friend who would NEVER consider leaving her dogs without AC. I guess it depends on your dog and your climate.

Jovi

I let my dogs stay with my vet. I know everyone there from the receptionist to the kid who cleans the kennels and, while not plush, I know they will be taken care of and I like the idea of having a vet right there in the event they get sick. Especially now that my Spur boy is getting older.

Karissa - I WISH there was a place like that around here, WOW! I definantly see why you pay the little extra, very nice.

Thank you everyone, it's so hard to decide on what to do. I contacted another place http://k9kamp.net/index.htm . a co-worker of mine brings his dog there all the time and said it's a fabulous place. there is alway plenty of staff and they NEVER leave the dogs alone. and for over night stays he alows the dogs in his own house to sleep (of course with his supervision). Im going there today to check it out.

I am also going to call my vet and see if they do over night stays, It's Banfield so I am not sure if staff is there 24/7.

Now that I think about it, the first place i visited did not have an AC in the kennel. Willow has nice long thick fur, it would probably get to hot for her in there.

Quite a few year ago, maybe 13 or so, we had to leave town suddenly (illness, then death) and the only place we get to board our dogs was out vet. He has kennels in his clinic and they ar well taken car of. He has been our vet for years. He took them on short notice. When we would drop off Shiro and Tess for the day for their appt, he would let them run loose and be spoiled. Turns out he took them home for the weekend so they would not miss the house environment. They got more than their fair share of treats too. everysince tehm. when they see him, they worship the ground he walks on. I have left my dogs in boarding kennels, where they got their two daily runs (extra cost) and it was fine but they sure were glad to see me. As for the vet visit, they were happy but kept looking back at Kit, in case another treat would magically appear.

We did look at a lot of boarding kennels and settled on one, the one time we did leave them. Some were nice and some were less than ideal. What made the decision for us was watching how the workers ineracted wiht the dogs and how the dogs looked. were they jumping and barking all day, pacing? where they relaxed? Part of it was also gut feeling.

I recently had the same concern for finding boarding for my female border collie.

She is now 9 months old.

I needed to board her for a weekend. My son was getting married.

Luckily I found a farm that boards dogs.

The owner had horses, sheep and above all else other border collies.

He works with BC's lots of them

Who would have known.

He came my way by word of mouth.

My advise ask around and visit before leaving your dog.post-13260-002760500 1337821188_thumb.jpg

I found a kennel many years ago after visiting at least eight in the area. It is air conditioned, not too large, and has four large fenced in areas that dogs are rotated in and out of for playtime throughout the day. There is nap/quiet time in the middle of the day. The owners are really nice people. No extra charge for play time or treats as some kennels do. Both dogs are kenneled separately and that is about $35 per day.

We moved about a half hour north four years ago and we still make the trip to this kennel, even though it is not typically the direction we go when we are travelling--but this is where the boys are familiar and where I am comfortable, so this is what we do.

I literally hate kennelling my dogs--I always worry they think I am abandoning them and won't return, like their original owners. But it is, once or twice a year, necessary. I am so glad to have a place I am comfortable with.

I used to drive an hour north for the right kind of kennel (an agility person who watched them in her house). Now that I've moved and have 5, one of whom would not do well in a kennel setting, I just have a petsitter come to the house. It's so much easier and less expensive. Plus it makes me keep the house clean! :lol:

I visited the K9 camp yesterday. When I got there all the dogs were soooo calm, no barking no nothing. The owner was VERY nice, he showed me around and told me up front that even though there are people watching at all times that dogs could get hurt (like scrapes and cuts from playing). If there is ever a dog there that really hurts another they are banned from his facility. He also said the ground does hurt the dogs pads after a while because its cement and they run slide and scrape there pads. I am not sure how comfortable I am with this place. I think it is perfect for the larger dogs that are treated like “dogs” as he said but Willow to me is my kid, I Don’t think she would be safe here. He wants me to come Saturday with Willow for a test run to see how she does. I may just go because I will be there to see with my own eyes how she does.

Saturday I also have an appointment with another kennel, they seem really nice as well.

Why does this have to be sooo hard, lol!