BC Boards

Kink in tail

I've always thought it was rather cool how Bandit's tail curls upward a little about 3 inches from the tip.

While walking Bandit a few days back we ran into someone who said it was a kink in his tail. That I should keep an eye on it cause it could lead to arthritus in the reat area in the future. That I might have to have it one day docked to prevent arthritus.

Bandit has never had any problems with his tail so far.

Does she know what she is talking about? I did feel a knott when I touched that area. Does that mean the tail was once broken or could it be from birth?

Well, from what I know it could be something like a once broken tail but most Border Collies have the curled tail tip (as do grayhounds and several other breeds).

Is it like an abrubt bend or just a curled up tail tip like most Border Collies would have? Does he ever relax his tail and it goes away?

Arthritis in the tail? Don't see how that could be that painful... not like it's a leg joint.

Either way, I'd say perhaps he once broke it - and or got it caught in the car door once.

But yes, BCs have a 'hook' at the ends of their tails so even when it's down, they hook up at the end.

My mom ran over our cats tail with a wheelchair after her car accident when I was little. The cat had a kink in his tail till the day he died. Till he died? lol..Well, I assume he still had it then not like it straightened out lol... :rolleyes::D

Point of my ramblings is I think it was probably broke at one point.

Sammy my cat has a kink about 1/2 inch from the end of his tail. It is a birth defect. I was told by some cat person that had he been a show bred cat he would have been put down as they don't want that. Now wouldn't that have been a shame! However Bandit got the kink, I do not see where it could in anyway affect the rest of his skeletal system. BTW Sammy is almost 19yrs. old, and he is not cripled up by any means! Next vet visit, ask him about it, just to make you feel better, if nothing else!

Lance,

Did you say if it had always been curled from the day you got him?

Our lab would develop a kink if she got wet when it was the least bit cold outside. It would hurt her for the first day or so, and then the kink would remain for 10 days+ with no pain. We found out this was not an uncommon thing in labs, anyway.

Do you know if your dog is purebred? There are many breeds with permanently and even tightly curled tails, so if this kind of dog was anywhere in your dog's background....

Hey Tammy.....Yes, Bandit's tail was just like it was when I adopted him 6 months ago(Thanksgiving day.)

I believe he is all Border Collie.

Anda...Thanks for sending link to other Bandit. He really does look like he could be related to my Bandit.

Mona wrote: I've seen puppies born with kinks in their tail, it's just one of those things and is of no consequence.

Thanks for info. I think that's probably Bandit's case. His tail pends upward perfectly. Does not look like he caught it in a door.

Prosperia...Upward hook? When you feel Jenna's tail, do you feel one or two knotts at hook? Jen is very pretty.