BC Boards

New to the board...first family member

I am really glad I found this site! I have been looking for an active dog forum recently, but once I found the BC Boards, it just made sense...

Especially, after my wife and I decided to get a Border!

We thought for awhile about adopting, but for a couple of personal reasons and some previous experiences, we decided to buy a puppy.

Here she is!

kaleyco4.jpg

kaley2iv8.jpg

kaley3cq2.jpg

kaley3cq2.jpg

kaley4sb1.jpg

Kaley is the name we have picked out, and my wife and I have so much planned for her (ability/dog sports/formal training) - we live real close to the beach also.

I am sure we will have plenty of questions even though both of us grew up with collies in our earlier years..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a little beauty!

I love the merles and especially the Tri's

What is her age in the Pictures?

Welcome to the boards.

here is a pic of my Tri Merle female at 1 year (Jasmine)

She doesn't show much red,you have to really look to find the few red patchs on her,the most prominate red patch is on her lower right hock.

jasminemarch9th.jpg

WoW,they sure have alot of pups for sale atm.

I wonder how many litters their putting on the ground each year.

9 bitchs and 4 coming up with 3 studs seems like alot of dogs.

I see they also are registering both ABCA and AKC.

Have you visited the farm yet?

Anybody familiar with this paticular breeder?

With a breeder putting out this many pups I would think some of the regulars from that area would have some knowledge of this breeder.

Dont get me wrong, I was first a little concerned about the amount of pups they had for sale.

I did as much background as possible, spoke with four previous customers who have pups froms them that span the last 5 years. And they all had extremely positive interactions and most of all,the puppies are healhty to date. They are in good standing with the ABCA.

I myself have not been to the farm as of yet but my wife and I plan on spending considerable amount of time there, ensuring we interact with the parents and the litter mates as much as we can.

I asked them about the ABCA and AKC registration, and they are lifetime members with the ABCA - and have some of their adults registered with the AKC, but the puppies are not (which is fine w/me).

They have been in the breeding aspect of Borders for awhile (25 years), I am sure others here on the board have heard of them

Welcome to the boards.

How lovely and cute she is. I like the merle colours very much.

After you took her home in a couple of weeks, enjoy the puppy-time with her. Puppies grow up so very fast.

Originally posted by collies4me:

I am honestly still deciding on the fact if I would like to bring home one of her brothers with her...

I would recommend against it. Wait until she's grown before adding another pup. They will focus too much on each other and not enough on you and your family. This failure to bond with the people in the family can make training the pups quite difficult.

Oh... amost forgot to tell you that she's adorable. Enjoy her puppihood - it won't last long. I can't believe how much the time has flown by with mine.

Originally posted by Genie:

quote:

I am honestly still deciding on the fact if I would like to bring home one of her brothers with her...

I would recommend against it. Wait until she's grown before adding another pup. They will focus too much on each other and not enough on you and your family. This failure to bond with the people in the family can make training the pups quite difficult.

Oh... amost forgot to tell you that she's adorable. Enjoy her puppihood - it won't last long. I can't believe how much the time has flown by with mine.

Thats interesting, I have never heard that about 2-pups distracting each other from their owners?

Just asking around informally, the popular opinion was that two pups would have better socialization?

And the other side was if you want two dogs, wait for the one to mature, and then get another pup, so the older dog can show them the "way" ? :rolleyes:

My experience with siblings (albeit a different breed) is they were somewhat better socialized - they never bit or chewed on us, but would wrestle with each other, but jealousy for attention did really hurt their training process. It didn't matter too much because they are beagles, but my bc/aussie mix is much more interested in pleasing me.

Also interesting is they are really not socialized to other dogs at all. They were so used to each other, that other dogs seemed like a different species to them.

Just my experience

--Denise

Hmmm. I probably wouldn't try two puppies. I've done it and found that the more submissive of the two just won't, despite the best intentions, get as much training, goodies, socialization, etc as the more dominant one.

And two puppies of an active breed will really get overwhelming once they hit adolescence.

I've never heard of Dual Oaks Farm, but then I've only had time to attend one trial so far, and I don't do agility. And they're way across the state from me. Maybe DixieGirl or juliepoudrier knows who those folks are. Looks like from the puppy names they have three litters on the ground right now.

Adorable baby girl you've got there!

I also generally do not advise getting littermates. As a rule of thumb, they tend to have more conflicts than unrelated same-age dogs do. Any two dogs have their pecking order, but littermates have the added "littermate" dynamics, which can complicate things. Just this week I had to stitch up a perfectly charming and good-natured sweetie of a dog whose sister tore her lower left eyelid in two. Both dogs are evidently a delight with people and get on well enough with OTHER dogs, but only get on so-so together... and when they fight they are in earnest. There's no messing around. They're out for blood. Unfortunately, this is by no means the only such case I've had cross my exam table. Not every set of related dogs will do that, and some unrelated dogs turn out to have knock-down, drag-outs with each other as well... but the risk goes up with related dogs VS. unrelated ones.

If you really want to have two puppies at the same time, A) I DO think opposite sexes is a good idea, :rolleyes: I'd get pups from different litters, and maybe a little difference in age would help as well, and C) I'd make absolutely sure you have the time to socialize both pups. Complex dogs like BCs really need their individual attention as well as the group thing. Even relatively simple dogs still need their one-on-one time.

JMO. And welcome to the boards!

Hi collies4me, welcome to the Boards. I'm glad you're planning to spend a lot of time at the breeders' kennel before committing to the pup.

Just want to make sure that everyone is aware of the "Tips for Getting a Border Collie" which the United States Border Collie Club (the sponsor of this forum) has posted elsewhere on this site.

Thanks for the ready link Eillen.

I'll add my voice to the mix in regards to raising littermates...it is a LOT of work to do correctly:

1. Ought to be trained separately.Then you have to train together.

2.They each need time apart from each other and individual time with you,both to develop dog/handler bond and curtail separation issues between two siblings.

3. It is truly AMAZING what a chore it can be to try and housebreak two at the same time as well as dealing with chewing/teething issues.

4.In theory it sounds good, but ask anyone who has raised littermates and you'll see that 2 pups can mean quadruple the work. < big grin >

Welcome to the boards! Having raised Hoku from some where around 3 months to his present 16 (+/-) months, I truly can't imagine two of him at once! I think the advise of getting Kaley socialized, well trained and bonded to you, then look into another dog, maybe a rescue, if you want them the same age. Puppy hood is a blast, a lot of work, but such fun. Enjoy her and post lots of pictures!

Her parents are Navajo and Jen from Dual Oaks Farm in South Carolina, who both have established bloodlines in herding/competition, I haven't requested to see the actual pedigree, but when we go up to SC to pick her up we will ensure to see/receive a copy.

I am looking over both Navajo's and Jen's pedigrees now,alot of GA dogs in their lines.

pm me if you like and i would be happy to forward the pedigrees to you.

I still can't believe none of the regs who frequent the boards from the area where Dual Oaks is located have chimed in.

Surely somebody is familiar with this paticular breeder.

What is a GA dog?

I'm not sure why you would want two dogs, let alone one dog from this breeder. The puppy is adorable, but then again...all puppies are, if it is the designer colour you want...well... a dog is so much more than their fur.

If I were so inclined to believe that I couldn't get what I wanted in a rescue (Which I am decidely NOT), I would be looking for dogs with the best chance at a good temperament and appropriate drive, something that doesn't enter into the usual fancy colour equations.

My opinion would be that any one dual registering is not doing the border collie a favour and therefore is an unworthy breeder.

Like wise the fact that they have:

4 week old pups

5 week old pups

6 week old pups

and 7 week old pups on the ground right now...at the same time!!! with out a waiting list of adopters and exhibiting almost every possible colour in the spectrum tells you pretty clearly what their breeding goals are and it would not appear to be the betterment of the breed. That is an insane amount of puppies. I would probably call their local shelters and see if any or how many of these pups end up at the pound for lack of demand, likewise I would call the local breed specific rescues and ask their opinion of this breeder.

To be honest, I think that if you have already read the "read this first" section of the boards and Eileen's link you already know what kind of breeder this may be. If you admire the breed so much, you need to ask yourself why and if you really want to support and enable a breeder that may be deliberately destroying it.

Secondly, you may want to solicit recommendations of breeders from the membership here and see what your other options in your area are.

Sara