question re: tending

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

What about breeds like Briards and Bouviers?

In Continental Europe, to my best knowledge, the Alte deutsche schäferhund and  the pyrenean shepherds have been truly used for livestock work with enough of working dogs in the breed to matter.  There are many breeds that do fine sheep herding but their talents scattered across the population, you never know what you will get. 

My wife doesn't allow me to have goats.
She is the voice of reason on our farm.

Goats  are wonderful. They quickly led us to border collies  and to sheep :D .

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#22 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,508 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife, horses, sheep farming, sled dogs, falconry

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

i prefer corriente cattle here where i am. I had a big herd of spanish goats. Their maaing brought every predator. Range ewes have done well, but corriente are the best.

#23 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Had to google "corriente cattle" they look quite beautiful.
Living in Iceland one does not have a whole range of breeds to choose from, when it comes to stock ( I'd really like to have Scottish highland cattle...)
Luckily the rules on importing dogs are not that prohibitive, or we would not have had bordercollies.

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#24 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

thank you, we like them. they will ring up and fight predators and are well armed

the below is trout with one of the young bulls

Attached Files

#25 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Am I right in assuming that's a courageous dog?

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#26 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

That is one of my good bitches. I would not consider her overly courageous- she is brave-  there is this- The corriente are wise and if a dog is powerful but diplomatic they move very easily. However if a dog is weak he will be CHASED off and I mean chased. They know as all cattle kinda do.

That being said, that bull, when older, took a stand near a fence where some young heifers were standing and I mean Took A Stand. (Read Between the Lines- Took a Stand next to a fenceline.)

I moved him with the toughest dog I have, Blood Sucking Fly Man who, like the Marines, is sent in when there is not another way. Tho, Tick (BSFM)  Had to be Trained to be diplomatic because if you get something pissed it is harder to move. And since these cattle know how to fight, best to work with them, ya know? That time there was no other way, other than rope and drag. I had recently broken my right wrist, Pete was in Town.

of course- Horses for Courses

#27 Maja

Maja

• Registered Users
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

if you get something pissed it is harder to move.

Very true.   My Bonnie before she started going  deaf was that way with ewes with babies. She could take any ewe where ever needed so deftly that ewe never faced her once.

But I also had an idiot ram, where no diplomacy ever worked. The idiot put up a fight every time, and was beat every time and every time he tried to stand up to her.  I got rid of him quickly, since I can’t abide idiots.  I try to train both dogs and sheep that  all is well in the world as soon as you move off the dog.     

"Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds" - Prov. 27-23

#28 Pearse

Pearse

• Registered Users
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

I've often wonder about using sheep/goats for grazing ski slopes in the summer

I'm sure it's common in Europe but I've wondered how common in North America

John Wentz in Portage WI grazes his sheep on a ski area in the summer. Saves them money and is more environmentally friendly than using herbicide or mowing.

#29 Jeanne Joy

Jeanne Joy

• Registered Users
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Ranching, Rodeo and Stockdogs. Iím from a pioneer ranch family that traveled to Colorado in covered wagons. I'm also a published author and stockdog clinician. My most recent work is a book titled, Stockdog Savvy - Alpine Publications, Inc., 2010.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Here's a link to a short clip of a German Shepherd and a German Tiger dog in a tending contest. This is typical of the type of work tending dogs are used for in Germany:  

https://stockdogsavv...t-bavaria-1963/

It has been said, "Most of the footprints in the sands of time were made by working shoes." By the side of those footprints are paw prints.

http://stockdogsavvy.wordpress.com/

#30 rushdoggie

rushdoggie

• Registered Users
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

Here's a link to a short clip of a German Shepherd and a German Tiger dog in a tending contest. This is typical of the type of work tending dogs are used for in Germany:  

https://stockdogsavv...t-bavaria-1963/

Look at that gorgeous GSD.

"one dog shy of a crazy dog lady..."

c933f85e-d7ab-4b06-a588-a46b423e82d1_zps

#31 terrecar

terrecar

Sheepdogger Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Look at that gorgeous GSD.

I agree, rushdoggie. What a lovely dog!

#32 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yeah. That's the kind of GSD I fell in love with as a kid. Not these mutants you see nowadays that make me want to cry.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.