BC Boards

Let's talk Kong recipes

Hey again!

I was making my puppy Blaze a KONG for her lunch using her kibble (softened in water), tinned tuna, banana and plain greek yoghurt (sounds disgusting, but she LOVED it! :rolleyes: ), and I loved watching her enjoy it so much, and it encouraged me to look for more healthy recipes she might enjoy.

So I was wondering, what do you stuff your KONGS with? And how often do you feed your dogs using KONGS?

Have you tried searching the archives here for suggestions? Or the internet? GGIYF

Go easy on the tuna. Once in a while is OK, but it's high in mercury so not good to feed a lot. Canned mackerel is a better alternative and probably cheaper. Salmon would be a good choice as well.

Still go somewhat easy on any canned fish, though, as it's also high in salt.

I just fill them with canned dog food. Stick them in the freezer in the morning and give them to the dogs at night. Usually occupies them for 30+ minutes.

I only do kong's in the winter really. A few times per week. It's a treat and not part of their regular diet.

I mix kibble and wet food together, stuff the kongs, then put them in the freezer. I like the mix because the kibble expands and adds to the difficulty of getting it all out. I count that as part of their daily food intake. If you feed raw maybe some raw meat chunks and some canned pumpkin would also be about the same.

If I don't have any frozen Kongs available, I wedge washed baby carrots in them; it usually takes three to present enough of a challenge to keep them busy. Or, I'll stuff rolled dog food in them.

ETA: Just a caveat; I suppose baby carrots could present a choking hazard. My dogs are fine with them.