6 weeks: 6#

8 weeks: 11#

10 weeks: 14#

12 weeks: 17#

14 weeks: 23#

16 weeks: 27#

18 weeks: 31#

20 weeks: 35#

As you can see, she has had dangerously fast growth between 12-20 weeks (and we're paying the price with panosteitis despite all efforts to slow the growth).

At 20 weeks she is 3 pounds heavier than her mother and only 6 pounds lighter than her father and she is not particularly tall (18.5"). She's broad chested, stout legged and short backed and has a very delicate, feminine face. Go figure :/

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just starting on this journey.

I picked Risk up a week ago at 9.5 weeks and he weighed 2.9kg (around 6lbs). The 10 or so pups in the litter were still together and starting to compete.

I last saw him at 7 weeks and all the litter were the same size so he wasn't the runt. He has grown since then but not in a wow sort of way. Apart from being tiny he is everything a pup should be - certainly not sickly.

Neither sire nor dam are small dogs.

A friend's pup from the same breeder and breeding that is 8 weeks older (same sire, dam a full sister) was also tiny when she got her but is growing fine.

We'll see how much he has put on next week when he has his second injection. In the meantime I have ordered some high quality protein food.

9 weeks - 7.5#

12 weeks - 10.5#

16 weeks - 17#

18 weeks - 20#

24 weeks - 23#

A couple of weeks ago I had my puppy with me when I took the other dog to the vet. The vet hadn't seen Nattie since she was in for her last set of shots. The vet laughed and said, "She is so cute and tiny! I think you have a mini Border Collie."

2 days old - 0.8#

1 week - 1.6#

2 weeks - 2.8#

6.5 weeks - 10#

9.5 weeks - 12#

13.5 weeks - 20#

16.5 weeks - 27# (almost 4 months)

26 weeks (6 months) = 40#

He will be 7 months on Wednesday and I will weigh him then as well. He is tall, though I've never measured him.

Edited to add...I was curious so I weighed him (2 days before 7 months, likely he won't gain anything in those 2 days) and he is 42.4# at 7 months (exactly 30 weeks).

9 weeks - 11 lbs

12 weeks - 15 lbs

16 weeks - 19 lbs

20 weeks - 23 lbs

24 weeks - 29 lbs

27 weeks (today) - 32 lbs

When put in this format it makes it look like Keeper grew really quickly, but he's been going low and slow from day one. He hasn't hit a single big growth spurt, and he's been lean the whole while. I'm noticing a big slowing in his growth lately. He hasn't grown in height hardly at all, and is starting to feel more muscled instead of just boney. His dad was really, really muscled, they called him their bodybuilder. He's the spitting image of him, so I think I can expect the same build. I'm guessing between 40 and 45 lbs. I've been shocked this far, his whole 32 lbs fits in a very small package. I think of much larger dogs than him when I hear 32 lbs. I was a little worried that he'd be a giant, but I don't think 45 lbs end up being big at all with these dogs.

Genetics are funny, no? My puppy is double dipped (both sides) with Craig (CBCA 54) who was a very compact, sturdy dog - and every other puppy in the litter is small-ish - the next heaviest one is #24.

I *wanted* something of a mini Border Collie. At just about 5 months and 35 pounds, looks like the joke is on me :/

Yeah, my pup looks like he had a few big growth spurts, but in all honesty, I think he put on a little too much weight, so I've been cutting back on his food a bit. Hence, a much less weight gain in the last month. He could still stand to thin out just a little bit. I expect him to top out around 50, maybe a couple more when he's full grown. His dad was pretty big.

Ross tracked very close to 1 pound per week of age from the time I picked him up at ~ 7.5 weeks until, I forget, six months or so? Anyway, even after the first few weeks, he was 14 pounds at 14 weeks, 18 pounds at 18 weeks, 19 pounds at 5 months, 22 pounds at six months of age. Puppy growth charts told me he'd top out at 27 pounds. At a year of age, he was 28 pounds. But he's continued to grow (in height; he's also muscled out some) since turning a year old. When I collected him from training (at 16 months), he was up to 35 pounds, and I thought he was a bit pudgy. I've cut him back on food and he's now close to 34 pounds (at almost a year and a half). I think that's the right weight for him (and my training mentor concurs). Duncan, on the other hand, was very close to his final weight (43 lb) at six months (40 lb), so he did most of his growing earlier. (And ended up with bilateral OCD).

• 1 month later...

6 weeks: 6#

8 weeks: 11#

10 weeks: 14#

12 weeks: 17#

14 weeks: 23#

16 weeks: 27#

18 weeks: 31#

20 weeks: 35#

As you can see, she has had dangerously fast growth between 12-20 weeks (and we're paying the price with panosteitis despite all efforts to slow the growth).

At 20 weeks she is 3 pounds heavier than her mother and only 6 pounds lighter than her father and she is not particularly tall (18.5"). She's broad chested, stout legged and short backed and has a very delicate, feminine face. Go figure :/

At -26 weeks, Molly weighs 42#, stands 22.5" and went from stout legged and short backed to long legged and long backed. She is a complete athlete and runs faster than any dog I have ever had. She's sound as a trumpet and I swear she is making up for lost run and jump time.

I believe she is nearly done growing and is about to have her first heat. Apparently she is doing EVERYTHING at breakneck speed.

I don't actually remember all of Molly's.

But she was 14lbs at 12 weeks and 18lbs at 16 weeks. We'll see where she ends up. It's kind of weird because for a while she looked huge to me, but now she seems Tiny. Perception is a strange thing.

The last official weight I got on Molly was at 19 weeks and she was 23lbs. The few weeks since then she's noticeably slowed down, but I don't have an official weight.

No clue where she's going to end up, but not overly fussed.

Kolt - 9 weeks, 12#. 14 weeks, 21#. 16 weeks, 24.5#. 19 weeks, 28.3#. 24 weeks, 33#, 19".

At 6 m/o he was 35#. He'll be 7 m/o in a couple days and weighed in at 38.5# tonight. He measured about 20". He's starting to fill out get a bit more broad (he's been quite lean and slender) and his head is starting to show a bit of masculine blockiness. I'm kinda hoping that he'll end up at about 21"/45#

I decided I was getting too obsessed with Risk's weight. He's growing fine at a reasonable rate - currently at a stick insect stage.

I will weigh and measure him on Friday when he will be 4 months just out of interest to see whether he does turn out to be half his adult weight and 2/3 his adult height, as is often predicted.

I don't care about what weight he is or will be as long as he looks and feels right.

Height would be fine at 19-20 ins for an agility dog especially if he turns out to be light but we'll see. Nothing I can do about.